Ather Labs feedback

TLDR version: we need to work a lot more on the product but the tech is getting better. Trip planner is there because we are already planning it out.

Long version (read only if you are interested in the inner workings at Ather and don’t take this as a defence of anything): I think we are quite some distance away from having product market fit for the SW suite as a whole. Quality’s actually come a long way in the last 6 months but the actual fit of features for owners needs a lot more work. We are quite aware of it.

We have struggled with a fairly anaemic team in the past, partly a mistake of:

1. us poorly estimating how much work a stable release will take (esp when the team is operating with constraints on HW, tech restrictions from partners)
  2. us pausing/slowing hiring down during most of 2020 and it hitting the team hard because that was the EXACT moment when they needed to ramp-up massively

This, along with the fact that we started charging for Ather Connect, at the same time, has made some issues worse than they should have been. This should have been only a product mgmt issue but became a tech issue.

Writing this because you asked if I am happy with the ‘teams’. We have a LOT of work to do with the product and a fair bit on stabilizing the platforms. We have some distance to go in ramping up the teams and allowing them the bandwidth to properly focus. But, honestly, I am quite proud of what the actual folks have been able to deliver despite a lot of challenges.

Every single engg team at Ather went through this phase. There was a time when the power electronics seemed like a villian when the mechanicals seemed ready and HW had come later, because the teams were formed later. Later, the embedded teams faced the same struggles, then the transmission, then the bodyworks so on and on. Every single time, as a team gets formed and as a company we start learning that what kind of a talent, caliber and #s we need there’s some learning curve. Luckily, most teams went through that phase before the product was actually launched. I think at some level, given our own backgrounds we were more focused on the HW all these years. While connectivity based ecosystem was something we were excited about, we ended up giving it limited actual attention and most work was focused toward ensuring that it somehow ‘worked’ at a proto scale of 500-1000 customers total.

Unfortunately, the web tech teams are going through this growing up journey at Ather at a time when we already have thousands of customers across 20 cities and are growing super fast. It might seem funny but until early this year we did not even allocate a full time product manager for the SW features (kill me now) because we thought that it all somehow worked during the days of 450 and so should be fine.

We have come a long way in the last 6 months. Quality has swung a few times but is much much better now, there’s a better understanding of how the owners are, a better roadmap is starting to emerge, the stack is looking better and better to scale to scales of a few lakh now and the teams are able to breathe.

On the specific topic of Trip Planner - Ather Labs started with a standard statement (we will launch it, if there’s interest) because it’s intended to be the DNA of Labs. Trip Planner otherwise has a fair bit of traction already and there’s work already happening.

Cheers! Tarun

26 Likes

Hey Tarun! Thank you for opening up and sharing the ups and downs. It is good to know that the worst is behind and the best is coming.

That said, the magic of software and open source is very helpful, especially with Android running on the 450X as well as with the app (ok iOS too, but trying to achieve the same). At least a handful of the users are good with some language or the other, and associate with Ather Labs if there is an API. Not on critical items, but ideas similar to savings tracker etc can be done, while the SW team focuses on critical items and parts that cannot be disclosed.

What say, sir?

7 Likes

Glad to have read this message. Especially in acknowledging the problems and reflecting the thoughts of many users who pointed out this. And, to share with community, which is sorely missing from the early days of Ather. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @tarun

So it is good to see that you opened up and acknowledged the issues that popped up due to few decision making errors rather than just backing up the team bluntly.

I really appriciate that because generally at management level they don’t accaept the flaws so either they be silent or push it on to team. Being in manufacturing and that too in a highly competitive sector accepting something like this is not so easy.

Now by seeing your message I am equally glad and equally unhappy.

1. Happy because at a higher level the mistakes are accepted & learning is happenning and work is being done in the rectification front, rather than lifting hands.

2. Un happy because dispite of knowing the mistakes we are not compensated but charged for it, which triggered many of us who are in subscription majorly in CONNECT PRO.

PS: When I said “teams” I did not mean the one who really work at front level but I meant for the top and middle management as I feel no single person has to be individually responsible and blamed ina team (HERE ATHER IN GENERAL) I had to say “teams” (wanted to clear what I meant by my words)

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 450X: Product/Technical discussions

Facing issue with Ather lab Since from one week same data is available

1 Like

Feedback - After seeing the weekly savings tracker, I personally didn’t find any use of setting a goal, checking whether I finshed my goal etc.

Yes, how much I have saved in total is a cool FYI. But other than that, it should allow the user to enter petrol prices, or play around with the calculation (something like an SIP calculator)

9 Likes

Absolutely agreed; I have been trying to wrap my head around this ‘goal’ in the app for the last few weeks too.

I’m probably missing the point, but what exactly is the goal setting for? It’s not like I’m going to go ride a few kilometers extra just to meet an arbitrary goal I set - that would be quite counterproductive to the whole sustainability thing that EV ownership stands for! :sweat_smile:

The goal only works for those handful few who maybe say own a petrol 2W and an Ather, and thus can feel proud of having picked Ather to ride that week instead of their petrol vehicle for 20 km / 40 km / whatever their goal was, and thus see how much CO2 they saved by choosing this alternative. I can’t see any other scenario where this goal makes any sense…

11 Likes

I own both, and sadly don’t feel any need still :sweat_smile: Cause both serve their own purpose TBH. I barely touch my ICE 2W since riding Ather is much more fun! And I never go on any 2W more than 80km.

The “weekly goal” IMO could make way for custom calculations. That would be nice!

7 Likes

Agree on the goal setting feature. Seems pointless.

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji requesting you to update the availablity time lines of the “trip planner” in ather labs.

1 Like

reset the app data (clear data and cache from app setting) and login again, solved for me

AFAIK, savings tracker accounts for the money spent on petrol into the number of kilometres. How about an “actual” savings tracker which also takes into account the charging expenses at home/Grid( for later if applicable. :wink:). Like the team takes into account the average fuel rates, it can take into consideration average electricity rates. This is more on the lines of my previous idea of personalised calculations by entering the amounts but less complex in nature. I don’t think it will be difficult to implement and could be a more realistic indicator of how much one has saved with the Ather.

1 Like

It does already, equivalent cost of fuel for X distance - cost of charging for that distance is the number you see today in the savings tracker.

3 Likes

Any updates around?

• smart charging
  • route planner
1 Like

Getting null

2 Likes

I am a series one owner and on Ather connect pro. Still i dont have trip planner feature.

Whom to complaint about this ?

Trip planner is not yet live, coming soon.

2 Likes

It’s available for New Delhi users.

2 Likes

In savings tracker, we need to see what is the value of parameters used and should also be allowed to change them. Now it is just an arbitrary number with no explanation on how it was calculated and which values were used. Adding both the equation and values of petrol price, petrol scooter mileage would make it more meaningful for the end user.

5 Likes