450X: Product/Technical discussions

@abhishek.balaji said this on the AMA yesterday

You’re right, we do have the same hardware, but we’re taking a loss on the Plus variant. If enough people express interest in the Plus variant, we’ll consider making different hardware variants later on. It basically boils down to being able to offer two variants with different features.

you’ll have the hardware but won’t get to use it. It’s not just about turning on the hardware and letting users access it, but enabling a host of smart features like Welcome Lights, Access to calls, music, access to smart accessories like the TPMS, and smart helmets etc, which require Bluetooth to be enabled. To avoid more confusion around the plans and to make a clear differentiation, the Bluetooth has been disabled on the Plus variant. This is extremely common in the auto industry as well, where the hardware is similar, but software is tuned to enable different variants.

2 Likes

I appreciate the openness of @ather.team here. Most companies will bulk manufacture the same part and disable features to sell them as totally different products at various prices. They never publish such info and we only know from the hacker community (eg intel chips). Now that Ather has openly published (even advertised) this, they get to hear all sorts of complaints.

4 Likes

I get it. Bringing down the cost for Plus works only for upfront paying… USP of subscription mode is that I can change the it when I want. So, the hardware can’t be removed in this business model.
What if I am happy with performance of “Plus” and want to use the smart features?
Honestly, I feel there should be an option to get these features along with Plus on the subscription mode… let’s say I go for subscription mode and keep using it as Plus; when I exit the subscription, I don’t think the hardware will be removed…

2 Likes

@abishek.balaji, appreciate your patience; you have got a lot of it :slight_smile: Could you also help me understand with my query above? I am a light user, but I know the smart features would be very useful… So will there be a middle ground for users like me?

1 Like

The upfront cost of the 450X Plus or Pro will remain the same. However, we’re evaluating if a higher upfront cost + lower monthly subscription would make sense for some light users. We’ll keep you posted.

7 Likes

In the mail received from Ather today, battery cost is mentioned as 75k. However the cost is much lesser as per the marketLi-ion-Cost

5 Likes

Although I personally didn’t like the Green/White Ather 450x, It reminded me of the Blu Glauco colour option of the Aventador :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m guessing the battery cost also includes the cost of the bms. A good quality bms can be around 5-10k.
But 75k seems still expensive.
The battery costs will keep decreasing… So I it might come down by the time we need to get it replaced.

1 Like

Brake lock on 450x? It will become harder otherwise to park on a slope with just the side stand. It will be just a clamp on either of the brake

3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji will the 450x and the to be upgraded 450 4g module support carrier aggregation?:grimacing:

2 Likes

Guys just a thought appeared
Maybe it is a bit late but i just got to know some thing on atherenergy.com
WE ALL KNOW THAT ATHER 450 HAS A TORQUE OF 20.5nm AND IT GOES FROM 0-40 IN 3.9 SECONDS
NOW WHEN @Ather.Team HAS LAUNCHED 450X PLUS PLAN THE SCOOTER REQUIRES A TORQUE OF 22nm TO GO FROM 0-40 IN 3.9 SECONDS.
UNBELIEVABLE @Ather.Team
SO ALL I CONCLUDE FROM THIS IS @Ather.Team IS MAKING US A FOOL.

2 Likes

If you don’t like 450x plus then don’t buy it. Ather team isn’t making a fool out of anyone. Even I felt betrayed at the beginning, but their transparency of the facts and the issues faced with 450 has been explained. All our questions were also answered. If you don’t like 450x plus don’t buy it go for 450x pro or if you want you can still buy the 450.

4 Likes

Mr. Sumanth, are issues with 450 really that worrisome that one may need to consider 450X over 450? If purchased now, wouldn’t 450 run for the next seven years, perhaps with one battery change and with periodic servicing with hopes that Ather will continue to support the scooter lifelong. I think you own a 450 currently. Perhaps you can throw some light.

I too was skeptical about the issues as posted by uses. With assurances and answers from Ather I feel confident now to go for 450 as I cannot wait until July 2020 for 450X. If 450X were to be available by March end, I would go for it.

Issues with 450 meaning… That ather was selling 450 under loss and to make electric scooters popular ather released the 450 for a cheaper price. I’m not talking about performance… 450 still is an excellent scooter.
And no I do not own a 450. But from what I’ve seen in this forum and community and reviews it’s a really good scooter to have. I don’t think you should worry too much about the issues as ather team is working on fixing them.

PS: Even I need a 2 wheeler now, but I’m going to wait for 450x pro as I want the superior performance and features, also I believe 450x will be supported by ather for a much longer time than 450. For these reasons alone I’m going to wait for 450x. For the time being I’m more than happy to use scooter rentals till I can get 450x delivery.

1 Like

I already own an ather 450.
The fact of the matter is that ather 450 comes with a torque of 20.5nm and 450x plus comes with a torque of 22nm but both the scooters take the same time to reach from 0-40 that is 3.9 seconds.
Isnt this a question to be asked
For current ather owners it surely is.
I hope i made myself clear
Or should i try once again??

Ather told that update will be done through OTA only and can’t be connected through mobile WiFi.Then What are the uses of Wifi in Ather450x.Can anyone differentiate feature in Ather 450 and 450x(what extra is there is 450x).

1 Like

So you are saying the the torque in 450x plus is slightly better than 450, but the 0-40 time is the same?
Why? Probably because 450x plus is electronically limited to perform at that level and also the motors used in 450 and 450x plus are different. 450 has bldc and 450x has pmsm. So performances can vary a little.

Motor does not matter for torque :joy:
If the pmsm motor has a peak torque of 20.5nm and bldc motor has torque of 20.5nm
It simply means that both scooters have same acceleration.
Motor does matter for more better torque but if two different motors have same torque that means they have same acceleration power.

1 Like

The website most likely has a typo
@abhishek.balaji do look into it cause 450x has more torque and lesser weight yet has the same 0-40 time of 450.

2 Likes

There can be various other factors which may affect the acceleration of the vehicle, torque of the motor alone can’t determine the acceleration of the vehicle. And torque can be easily manipulated by using different gears, belt drives, etc. So what actually matters is the torque at the wheels. What’s given at the website is the torque of the motor. So the wheel torque for both scooters maybe gives them the same acceleration.

Look I am no expert and I only replied to you because you wrote everything in caps telling

Which I felt wasn’t true, for me Ather has done nothing but clarify all my questions whenever I have asked them.

1 Like