Tyres & TPMS

Yes External sensor is DIY

But, Got feedback from others including Ather forum members that it has two problems

1. Chance of Theft. So, you end up using additional lock on top of it.
  2. because of lock, every time you need to fill, it becomes a painful task to unlock and lock

I was told 2W battery life is 2 years to be minimum and can expect to last for 3 years.

Yeah the Sensairy one has a lock nut that makes it a bit more difficult for someone to steal it. It’s not fool-proof, but at the same time, I doubt people are aware of what it is and decide to steal it, so banking on that.

In my experience of using the sensairy one, you dont actually end up filling air that often, cos you always know the tyre pressure. I found myself filling air maybe once a month or so.

This depends on how many times the sensor itself connects to your phone over Bluetooth to relay the pressure info. The internal one should last much longer, but the battery is not replaceable. The external one has a replaceable battery.

4 Likes

This is an interesting point. In the name of checking tyre pressure, we loose 2 PSI. This will definitely reduce the number of times.

@abhishek.balaji When you had Ather 450, did you use it? Or still using it with 450X also?

3 Likes

Did not use it with the 450, only with the 450X

3 Likes

I bought the internal one from them and they are a Failure, they give you a metal tag to round it off to your scooter internal part of the rim which can or will get damaged while reinstalling the tyres, if you can find something like a car’s internal type sensor which are sold in aliexpress or Ebay they might work better.

For me sensory was just a waste of time and 600 rupees loss 300 to fit it and 300 to remove it :sob: so that the seller confirmed and refunded to after heavy argument. Looks like those external ones maybe of better quality than those internal ones

May be for a non-ather or non-electric, it might a good buy, as the effort is just equal to change of tyres. Once in 2-3 years is not a big deal.

I thought the effort will be similar here. Especially, if Ather can do it, it will be clean and doing it once more after 2-3 years is not bad.

2 Likes

Umm it raises alot of question, does that means Ather is not even ready with TPMS since their own Employees are getting after market accessories :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Haha, this was a few months back, before a bunch of us got the Ather TPMS installed. Since this is the first accessory we’re launching, there were some hurdles in getting the systems ready, but beta installations should start in the next few weeks for a few customers.

15 Likes

Does this connect with the system via Bluetooth or RF? wonder if it connects with Bluetooth then maybe, just maybe 450s owners can also get this at extra prices and it connects and updates via Bluetooth then update in just the phone app

4 Likes

I had asked similar question… Unfortunately did not hear back anything.

3 Likes

Will the Ather TPMS accessory be available to order online for self installation or would need to be purchased and installed at EC / Service Center?

3 Likes

I think it will be done at the service centre. Since it will be installed in the tyre and valve will be replaced.

1 Like

It works over Bluetooth. It’ll be a seamless experience on the 450X since the TPMS would connect to the dashboard directly and you’d be able to view your tyre pressure and get alerts if it’s not optimum levels, when you’re away from the scooter.

Since the 450s don’t have Bluetooth, we can’t guarantee that seamless experience and hence we’re not building that out. Third party options might be a better option here, only caveat is that your be able to view the tyre pressure through their app when you’re nearby the scooter only.

6 Likes

When we say 'it works over Bluetooth, I assume it will latch on to the flight Bluetooth and not the mobile Bluetooth? And later the status would be relayed by the flight → Ather Cloud → Mobile App?

2 Likes

Mostly that one because it’s mentioned you can see the pressure when far away which implies through the app.

2 Likes

Bro, In Ather 450 plus they don’t provide the Bluetooth feature. Then how to use this TMPS?

2 Likes

they did not provide any for the 450s too, btw what model do you own didn’t the Showroom explain that in 450 plus its software disabled and only the top model 450x is supported?

2 Likes

TPMS, second week of December. Around ₹2000. Source: Internal Team Member

7 Likes

@abhishek.balaji - I understand the reason.

I am not sure how many 450s are out there and how many will be interested to buy a TPMS. The volume and the effort to do this may not make financial sense to Ather. In fact, based on the 4G rollout experience, you might want to avoid any retrofitting.

But, 450 is just more than that. It deserves special attention. Until the last 450 runs on road (may be at least for 10 more years), it is going to bring smiles to every one on Ather.

So, not just for TPMS, please keep 450s in your mind and look beyond financial metrics.

Is it an external sensor? I believe so, considering it can be a DIY installation and easy for Ather.

2 Likes

Nope. As Abhishek already said in one of his posts. It’s an internal sensor and will replace the current valve on the tyre.

3 Likes