Tyres & TPMS

Hope it’s internal one, (current one not at all good, i have to check everytime and 2 to 3 psi difference is there). So I thought to change it so waiting for TMPS, (if price is 2000 or more then very difficult to decide between TMPS or regular valve) eagerly waiting for TMPS availability.

3 Likes

has anybody thought of putting aprillias 14inch thick tyres of the sr160 on their Ather? any drawbacks or any problems with that ?

1 Like

Aprilia has 120/70-14 and Ather has 90/90-12 whih means 564mm and 467mm diameter respectively and 120mm and 90mm width respectively. With such big differences I feel some part or the other will foul with the new alloy wheel and tyres. The front forks, the rear mud guard, the belt itself…i feel these might foul. I don’t know anyone who has made this change.

3 Likes

I doubt if Aprilia’s 14" wheels and tyre will fit for 450x. For rear, you have to remove the mud guard. For front, you may have to remove mud guard as tyres will touch it whenever the scooter hits speed breaker or pothole. Anyways, it is not recommended and should not be tried. Upsizing has its limitations and the upsize % should be as minimal as possible. If you go with a 14" wheel (if that fits), you have to go with really thin profile tyres.

Yet, this will cause unwanted stress on connecting parts. Doubt if there will be any issue with belt as the rear spoke is going to be the same.

2 Likes

With some good sources and luck I bought these Internal TPMS for my 450s it’s been 5 days since I installed them and they work as advertised

There is 1 PSI +/- difference which is common

PS: I’m not from the company and these will be my own Review.

the valve is angled

I installed it at a shop but that was expensive but not worth it.

The app interface is just basic

The link to Amazon

8 Likes

Hi @abhishek.balaji - I understand the TPMS is under beta testing right now. Any timelines for user release? It will help owners schedule the 5k / 10k servicing accordingly to also get TPMS installed.

1 Like

No timeline to share yet, but we’re easily a more than a few weeks away from the launch. I wouldn’t suggest waiting to get your periodic servicing done till then, the TPMS installation will take only about 3 hours.

4 Likes

And testing for few owners?

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Less than 3hours would be cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Cost of Tpms?

3 Likes

TPMS will cost Rs.5000, my local Ather dealer said that it’s official price.

1 Like

₹4300. Not sure if GST is included or not. I think it’ll be charged extra.

2 Likes

Any idea when will it be available?

1 Like

Instead of TPMS we can try for MI portable Air compressor or similar items, which cost around 2500/- (during sale we can get even lesser price) :grin::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

It’s costly. It could have been 3k in-line with the 3rd party TPMS.

I believe Ather incurs more cost for the installation. Labour charge + Door Step installation is not cost efficient. Add, any revisits for problems and fixes like it happened during 4G dongle. So, installation cost should easily cross 1k if we go by their Pay-Go charges.

4 Likes

If the Ather TPMS costs more than 2500 including GST I don’t think its worth it… As it is the cost we paid for 450x was huge 1.55 lac / 1.75 lac… also, TPMS will come with its set of problems in initial stages… so don’t want to be another guinea pig and spend approx 5k for it… Ather should make it available less than 2500 as official accessories

5 Likes

Well, I was already told (lied) that it was already part of the bike. So, I don’t really want to spend anything to get it!

1 Like

TPMS and Mi Air Compressor are two different things altogether. The TPMS will help you track your tyre pressure, on the dashboard as well as on the Ather App.

The TPMS is currently being tested, and they will make sure its a bug free experience, hence taking their time to roll out. I’d expect it to be really good in comparison to other aftermarket TPMS, as you’ll be able to track the pressure on your dashboard as well as on Ather app remotely, without the need to have an extra app, or need to be in range of your scooter.

5 Likes

In this case the MI TPMS could be less accurate whereas the Ather installed TPMS will be more accurate because its an internal system and MI air compressor is an external one so it could be less accurate. So you will know the exact pressure in the tyres.

It will also be an hassle free experience because the dashboard only shows the tyre pressure and no need to bring an external one and insert it to the tyres and check.

1 Like

You could, and that’ll work perfectly fine for some use cases. I have been using the Mi compressor for a while now and it’s way more convenient than visiting a petrol pump or using a compressor that’s meant for cars (these basically plug in to the 12V socket and is too much hassle for a 2W).

There are also other options on the market, ones that’ll connect to your phone over Bluetooth - these are either screwed on to the tyre valve externally or fitted internally just like the Ather ones would be. Since they work over Bluetooth, you need to be near your scooter within a few meters to get a reading.

The one Ather’s gonna bring out soon is more about giving a seamless experience with your scooter usage. It would connect to the scooter dashboard over Bluetooth, which would then relay the info to your app over the internet. That would enable you to monitor the tyre pressure remotely as well as see it on your scooter dashboard.

I find myself frequently checking tyre pressure from my house on the 2nd floor before a ride and then adding the Mi portable pump into my backpack in case I need to top it up.

Whichever TPMS you choose, eliminates the hassle of frequently checking tyre pressure with a gauge or with a compressor frequently or even worrying about it, since all of them would alert you when the pressure goes low or if there’s a suspected puncture. It’s even more important to keep tyre pressures at optimum levels to ensure that you get the best performance, range, and ride quality. Over the long term, it’ll help avoid uneven tyre wear, which can also lead to safety issues.

16 Likes