Tyres & TPMS

Haha, this was a few months back, before a bunch of us got the Ather TPMS installed. Since this is the first accessory we’re launching, there were some hurdles in getting the systems ready, but beta installations should start in the next few weeks for a few customers.

15 Likes

Does this connect with the system via Bluetooth or RF? wonder if it connects with Bluetooth then maybe, just maybe 450s owners can also get this at extra prices and it connects and updates via Bluetooth then update in just the phone app

4 Likes

I had asked similar question… Unfortunately did not hear back anything.

3 Likes

Will the Ather TPMS accessory be available to order online for self installation or would need to be purchased and installed at EC / Service Center?

3 Likes

I think it will be done at the service centre. Since it will be installed in the tyre and valve will be replaced.

1 Like

It works over Bluetooth. It’ll be a seamless experience on the 450X since the TPMS would connect to the dashboard directly and you’d be able to view your tyre pressure and get alerts if it’s not optimum levels, when you’re away from the scooter.

Since the 450s don’t have Bluetooth, we can’t guarantee that seamless experience and hence we’re not building that out. Third party options might be a better option here, only caveat is that your be able to view the tyre pressure through their app when you’re nearby the scooter only.

6 Likes

When we say 'it works over Bluetooth, I assume it will latch on to the flight Bluetooth and not the mobile Bluetooth? And later the status would be relayed by the flight → Ather Cloud → Mobile App?

2 Likes

Mostly that one because it’s mentioned you can see the pressure when far away which implies through the app.

2 Likes

Bro, In Ather 450 plus they don’t provide the Bluetooth feature. Then how to use this TMPS?

2 Likes

they did not provide any for the 450s too, btw what model do you own didn’t the Showroom explain that in 450 plus its software disabled and only the top model 450x is supported?

2 Likes

TPMS, second week of December. Around ₹2000. Source: Internal Team Member

7 Likes

@abhishek.balaji - I understand the reason.

I am not sure how many 450s are out there and how many will be interested to buy a TPMS. The volume and the effort to do this may not make financial sense to Ather. In fact, based on the 4G rollout experience, you might want to avoid any retrofitting.

But, 450 is just more than that. It deserves special attention. Until the last 450 runs on road (may be at least for 10 more years), it is going to bring smiles to every one on Ather.

So, not just for TPMS, please keep 450s in your mind and look beyond financial metrics.

Is it an external sensor? I believe so, considering it can be a DIY installation and easy for Ather.

2 Likes

Nope. As Abhishek already said in one of his posts. It’s an internal sensor and will replace the current valve on the tyre.

3 Likes

Hope it’s internal one, (current one not at all good, i have to check everytime and 2 to 3 psi difference is there). So I thought to change it so waiting for TMPS, (if price is 2000 or more then very difficult to decide between TMPS or regular valve) eagerly waiting for TMPS availability.

3 Likes

has anybody thought of putting aprillias 14inch thick tyres of the sr160 on their Ather? any drawbacks or any problems with that ?

1 Like

Aprilia has 120/70-14 and Ather has 90/90-12 whih means 564mm and 467mm diameter respectively and 120mm and 90mm width respectively. With such big differences I feel some part or the other will foul with the new alloy wheel and tyres. The front forks, the rear mud guard, the belt itself…i feel these might foul. I don’t know anyone who has made this change.

3 Likes

I doubt if Aprilia’s 14" wheels and tyre will fit for 450x. For rear, you have to remove the mud guard. For front, you may have to remove mud guard as tyres will touch it whenever the scooter hits speed breaker or pothole. Anyways, it is not recommended and should not be tried. Upsizing has its limitations and the upsize % should be as minimal as possible. If you go with a 14" wheel (if that fits), you have to go with really thin profile tyres.

Yet, this will cause unwanted stress on connecting parts. Doubt if there will be any issue with belt as the rear spoke is going to be the same.

2 Likes

With some good sources and luck I bought these Internal TPMS for my 450s it’s been 5 days since I installed them and they work as advertised

There is 1 PSI +/- difference which is common

PS: I’m not from the company and these will be my own Review.

the valve is angled

I installed it at a shop but that was expensive but not worth it.

The app interface is just basic

The link to Amazon

8 Likes

Hi @abhishek.balaji - I understand the TPMS is under beta testing right now. Any timelines for user release? It will help owners schedule the 5k / 10k servicing accordingly to also get TPMS installed.

1 Like

No timeline to share yet, but we’re easily a more than a few weeks away from the launch. I wouldn’t suggest waiting to get your periodic servicing done till then, the TPMS installation will take only about 3 hours.

4 Likes