Smart Charging

Hey ! Mr. Balaji… I have a way out on auto cut option when the charge is 100% done the scooty can suspend getting more power from the source home charger by auto turn off or say auto power cut. I’m using a Sonoff Device R3 which is a WiFi / RF module means I can turn down off the charging system from anywhere in the world and this option is a ease to me, so let me tell you I hv been working with IoT things since long term and love working with gadgets which is even my hobby and now came into business with the same IoT tech. So lets onow what is Sonoff - its basically a smart switching system device which turn ur non-smart devices to smart and gives smarter access to any kind of devices at home like fridge, geyser, washing machine, main gate opening, lights etc etc. by simply connecting it to the WiFi and Internet, yes it does have LAN operating system which makes it more convenient for a user to handle a particular target where it is fix via WiFi LAN even if their is no internet around or main power cut (working with inverter) I hv scheduled the turn on/off while I’m back home from my work and just plug in the charger and forget to turn on the switch as it has been scheduled and will turn on itself so it does the same as assigned to it and later on getting the fully charged notification from Ather app I hv created a scene that turns down the charger from the socket where the Sonoff is fitted and this way this save from over charging or say staying connected all the night on power as when its fully charged by the morning I hv noticed their is a drop down of 3% - 4% of charge becoz of its 4G connectivity and the in-built GPS system that uses battery to communicate sending the 80% accurate detailed info to the owner and this way we drain even if we shutdown the Ather 450x via the Shutdown option also this draining happens notice since purchase. So this was all about the app triggered turning off and on thru the notification.

Vikram Aaditya Roy (Nanu) @roykaarena

1 Like

Dear @Suraj_madhu

When you charge till 100% then actually it is charging upto 80% only because 20% buffer is there so always charge upto 95-98% and then use charging again at 15% around for longer battery life.

1 Like

We’ve had so many conversations about smart charging and good charging habits. But after years of trying to maintain battery health. I’ve genuinely stopped worrying about it.
Maybe I’ve just started trusting Ather a bit more. I’ve just set my charger for a 2 hours charge every morning so no I find the scooter at 100% everyday. It’s been 3 years and I’ve maybe lost at the most 4-5Km of range. Which is really not a lot. And it’s just nice to not have to think about maintaining good charging habits. All I need to do is remember to plug in the charger when I park it. I just feel the benefit doesn’t outweigh the effort of charging perfectly.
For a lot of us. Ather is/was our first EV so maybe letting the BMS handle everything related to degradation might be a good way to build some confidence in these Li batteries.

10 Likes

Exactly! I have planned to use the scooter as a petrol one but it will be plugged to the charger while in the parking. I have used the scooter for 2 years without any care towards the battery (just plugging it in even at 90% everyday) I had 2 thoughts in mind regarding my scooter’s battery degradation:

1. If the battery degradation is too bad(less than 75% SoH), the battery would be replaced anyway before warranty expires
  2. If the degradation is low, I am more than happy that the battery is performing well even after undergoing my extreme charging patterns
6 Likes

I don’t have that option since my warranty expires in a month and I have no way of knowing my battery health.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Feedback on Ather Forum

Please anyone can suggest to maximize increase life of battery as I charge on alternate days and I charge. From normally 20. Or Mac from 30 to 82-84 percent and this all range works for me normally 2 days as I have daily run about 30-35 kms and if I charge 100 percent than it works for me for 3-4 days so how should I charge as in 100 percent method the charging cycles will be less but in 80 percent charging cycles will be more so which is preferable or any other method to increase battery life and I put charging after 30-40 mins rest after ride ??

2 Likes

I tried all these.

Given that there is NO in-built way to maintain the charging threshold, the effort required made me loose interest. Now, I charge it to 100% often.

In the long run, I believe this had very negligible differences. Because, after 3 years, I am pretty sure of my Gen-1 battery health above 90%.

Frequent Fast charging and number of cycles may hurt more than charging it full.

1 Like

I don’t charge fast bro very rare in case of emergency even I am a host of Ather grid :joy:

3 Likes

20-80 is good or 20-100

1 Like

20-80 is the better way as suggested by many

3 Likes

2 Likes

Not true. Common misconception. Charging cycles remain the same either way. 5 * (20-80) cycles and 3 * (0-100) cycles are both equal to 3 charge cycles. But keeping your battery away from 100% and 0% is the best thing you can do for your battery. I had all these thoughts in the first 1-2 years of ownership and like everyone else including @prasathvishnu

I charge it to 100% everyday too.
Take a look at the initial post on this thread . It might help you out and help you charge to only 84% with lesser effort.

Are you noticing that your battery is beginning to charge a bit faster than when we got the scooter ? Recently I put it to charge and it was up to 50% from 10% in about 50mins

1 Like

So overall there will be no impact on battery if I charge my scooter to 100 percent everytime from 20 percent in 2-3 days gap :+1:t2:

1 Like

So, from what I’ve heard from people at Ather. Because of how the BMS is designed especially with the Buffer- more than degradation by charging cycles the degradation is mostly Agee related. So a 3 year old Ather which has done 50,000Km and a 3 yr old Ather which has done 20,000Km will more or less be about the same.
I’d say don’t really worry about it. Just use it like you would any other scooter. Trust the product. Trust Ather’s BMS and enjoy it. The more you worry about degradation the less youll enjoy your scooter :sweat_smile:
Ather designed the scooter to not be a hassle to use. And to charge it overnight everyday. My goal initially was to extend the life of the battery but since it’s my first ev I decided to just let go and just charge to 100% everyday just to test it and see how much it degrades.

12 Likes

Hello. Read almost all posts above. I’m a new Ather owner. One question I have is about the charging habits. Few of them have mentioned 50-100, 60-100, and someone has mentioned 20-100. It’s confusing. Which one is the best??

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it. Just leave it plugged in overnight irrespective of the charge state. :blush:… The BMS will take care of the battery. Besides, 20 to 80% charging habit is good if you want to follow it.

3 Likes

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/charging-habits/17687/39?u=saadshaikh747

Check this out :point_up:t2:

4 Likes

If you’re usage is over 30-40Km a day charge to 100% overnight irrespective of your SOC. If you’re usage is under 30-40Km put it to overnight charging and set up an automation on your smart plug. As mentioned in the first post of this thread. It’s works relatively fine on the Wipro app and smart plug. My mother uses the scooter now everyday for 20-30Km/day and so she plugs it at night. I’ve set a charge start at 4AM and an automation that stops charging when power delivered is <800W so she wakes up usually to a SOC of ~ 86-88% everyday. It makes perfect sense for her usage.

10 Likes

Hi which Wipro smart plug do you use? The model and rating

2 Likes