Smart Charging

Such important features is being asked by the members from a long time but i dont know when ather will implement such features .

2 Likes

What is the purpose of starting and stopping charging remotely? You think Ather is like a mobile phone that we cannot always plug the charger in. It is not like that. Ather’s built in BMS manages when to charge the battery and when not needed. So you can always plug the charger with the bike when you reach your appartment and let it plugged in always it won’t degrade battery performance or it won’t consume more electricity. Instead it makes battery balance well so your vehicle always ready for full range. And you don’t need to start and stop the charging features from phone. It’s already implemented in the firmware but you can’t watch.

3 Likes

It’s a very important feature. You can look at Tesla cars for reference. We always don’t need full range . And yes li-ion batteries hate to be at their fully charged or discharged state . Pls look further into it.

4 Likes

Ather batteries are not configured for fully charged and fully discharged. It’s explained many times in the forum and also owners meet. It’s already capped for better performance and life. It is probably bottom and top 10% respectively. Also the battery team response it’s not so much difference even improve the capped difference. Smart in the sense it take care most of the settings needed for better consumption. Adding more options may increase confusion to the end user. May be some enthusiasts require for them , Ather add developer option or bootloader unlock option like mobile phones with warranty void cap.

3 Likes

Exactly, is Tesla’s smart charging just for the fun’s sake? Its avery important feature to take good care of your battery. Ather might not accept today. What if tomorrow you try to sell your Ather & it turns out your battery has degraded more because you constantly left it plugged in? Will Ather still give you good amount? Every EV should have smart charging feature. It serves 2 very useful points: :blush:

1. better battery health
  2. peace of mind

Smart charging is now available in smart phones too. It’s important. Btw, I have to know from some sources that Ather is working on smart charging. So am excited. :blush:

This is what we want next (after the relatively stable 10.1.6 update) “SMART CHARGING…”

Unlock charge port as well

6 Likes

So, by following the method on youtube, charging stops at 88%, is that correct? is there anyway to make it stop at 90%? Just to satisfy my OCD. Or is 88% more ideal than 90%? I tried figure out the logic did not understand whether ~923 W is causing the switch to turn off or the 804W condition.

1 Like

I tried all this jugad and then eventually gave up. Too much monitoring and anxiety. I think its a simple implementation that Ather is hopefully working on. Forget about how much to charge (a slider to pre-select charge level), just enable the option to start and stop charging via the app. @abhishek.balaji

4 Likes

@abhishek.balaji @tarun We understand, you guys are busy with volume production, increased demand and rolling out Ather Grid 2.0. Can you please share if there are any plans to introduce smart charging? Its kinda frustrating to keep thinking about switching off the charging. Most of the time, I get tired of going down to the garage and leave it plugged in for hours. Sigh :pensive:

6 Likes

Definitely, this will be like super cool if we could auto set charging limits and control the charging cycle via the app itself. @rajkumar.mishra2010 plus 1 from me

7 Likes

Hi Rohit,

Try riding Ather in sports mode with minimum throttle, and you never get red halo on display. I have already tried it with speed of 50 to 60 kmph in sports mode. I got 90 kms range for 100% charge.

4 Likes

Another real life need for a smart charging. I am in Chandigarh and will return home (Bombay) in the evening. Toothless doesn’t t have enough charge left for me to run errands when I get home. If I had the option to turn on charging remotely, that would have come so handy. Sigh :pensive: “Smart charging is not a luxury, its a necessity.”

5 Likes

Hi Team,

Can we have a custom charging percentage alert in the app. Say I don’t want to exceed charging more than 85% ,so I want to set 85% as charging alert threshold.

2 Likes

Do you leave your charger plugged in? Or do you mean, someone will plug it for you?

2 Likes

I used smart plug on these use-cases…

But off-late the Wifi connection from vehicle to my home router became weak. So, stopped using it.

One thing to note: When you keep your cable plugged in all the time, the idle drain is much higher (compared to when charging cable not plugged in).

5 Likes

What Watt have you kept it at to get to 90%

1 Like

Hey ! Mr. Balaji… I have a way out on auto cut option when the charge is 100% done the scooty can suspend getting more power from the source home charger by auto turn off or say auto power cut. I’m using a Sonoff Device R3 which is a WiFi / RF module means I can turn down off the charging system from anywhere in the world and this option is a ease to me, so let me tell you I hv been working with IoT things since long term and love working with gadgets which is even my hobby and now came into business with the same IoT tech. So lets onow what is Sonoff - its basically a smart switching system device which turn ur non-smart devices to smart and gives smarter access to any kind of devices at home like fridge, geyser, washing machine, main gate opening, lights etc etc. by simply connecting it to the WiFi and Internet, yes it does have LAN operating system which makes it more convenient for a user to handle a particular target where it is fix via WiFi LAN even if their is no internet around or main power cut (working with inverter) I hv scheduled the turn on/off while I’m back home from my work and just plug in the charger and forget to turn on the switch as it has been scheduled and will turn on itself so it does the same as assigned to it and later on getting the fully charged notification from Ather app I hv created a scene that turns down the charger from the socket where the Sonoff is fitted and this way this save from over charging or say staying connected all the night on power as when its fully charged by the morning I hv noticed their is a drop down of 3% - 4% of charge becoz of its 4G connectivity and the in-built GPS system that uses battery to communicate sending the 80% accurate detailed info to the owner and this way we drain even if we shutdown the Ather 450x via the Shutdown option also this draining happens notice since purchase. So this was all about the app triggered turning off and on thru the notification.

Vikram Aaditya Roy (Nanu) @roykaarena

1 Like

Dear @Suraj_madhu

When you charge till 100% then actually it is charging upto 80% only because 20% buffer is there so always charge upto 95-98% and then use charging again at 15% around for longer battery life.

1 Like

We’ve had so many conversations about smart charging and good charging habits. But after years of trying to maintain battery health. I’ve genuinely stopped worrying about it.
Maybe I’ve just started trusting Ather a bit more. I’ve just set my charger for a 2 hours charge every morning so no I find the scooter at 100% everyday. It’s been 3 years and I’ve maybe lost at the most 4-5Km of range. Which is really not a lot. And it’s just nice to not have to think about maintaining good charging habits. All I need to do is remember to plug in the charger when I park it. I just feel the benefit doesn’t outweigh the effort of charging perfectly.
For a lot of us. Ather is/was our first EV so maybe letting the BMS handle everything related to degradation might be a good way to build some confidence in these Li batteries.

10 Likes

Exactly! I have planned to use the scooter as a petrol one but it will be plugged to the charger while in the parking. I have used the scooter for 2 years without any care towards the battery (just plugging it in even at 90% everyday) I had 2 thoughts in mind regarding my scooter’s battery degradation:

1. If the battery degradation is too bad(less than 75% SoH), the battery would be replaced anyway before warranty expires
  2. If the degradation is low, I am more than happy that the battery is performing well even after undergoing my extreme charging patterns
6 Likes

I don’t have that option since my warranty expires in a month and I have no way of knowing my battery health.

3 Likes