Setting up Your Home Charging Point

There is no software connection. You are better off checking with Ather Support as the home point is a little temperamental when it comes to voltage fluctuations and grounding of the line.

Thanks for the info sir @raghav.srinivasan

Has anyone living in a rented house got a charging point in place? If so, how are you planning to manage this when you relocate to a different house?

From Ather’s side, how will you support such cases?

7 Likes

Mine was installed in rent house only.

how do you plan to handle relocations?

1 Like

Hi Shreyas, Yesterday I Completed my Payment and the Delivery seems to be in the first week of June.
Before that Can i know the Charging Point at my home requires 5 amps or 15 amps?
Thanks

5A charging pod they install… so 5A well enough

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Anyone here tested charging the ather via their inverter or UPS in an event of a power failure or in general, I am planning to charge it via my UPS as entire house runs on solar, any inputs would be appreciated.

1 Like

I checked with the Ather Team they said it would require >=1KW UPS Capacity. Unfortunately mine is just 750W.

I heard the same too , did you check by connecting to your home UPS/inverter (testing only)to verify as its just a 48 volts AC to DC battery charger that would be connected to the ather scooter .

No haven’t tried that I am yet to receive my Ather 450.

Ather 450 charges with AC input at Home Charging point.

it charges with Ac at home which feeds a ac to dc converter on board on a Ather to charge a 48 volts battery bank … Wanted to know if any one has charged it via a inverter as i have configures to charge via ups which is fed from solar.

Ather can be charged by both AC as well DC. Fast Grid chargers use DC charging at public places. However Home Charging uses AC.

If we are to charge by DC at home, then connection needs to be different at nozzle as DC input is taken in different pins. Then we need to bypass today’s Home Charging Electrical Box (as it is AC only) and connect directly to the pins. Again, current has to be regulated.

Second point is that today’s DC charging is high current application for fast charging, Ather do not advice its consumers to charge on daily basis as life of battery may diminish.

Technically I agree that slow DC charging is also possible. Then Ather needs to write another algorithm for slow DC charging for home. As of now I doubt that is in place.

Now, if you are charging with AC at home with your inverter (solar), yes it is possible and it works as long as it is able to supply enough power.

Only way I guess to test is to connect when I get the scooter and connect it at home.

If any Ather scooter owner has any electricity Usage Monitor meter like one below

Can they connect it to find out the wattage it takes to charge the scooter and share the results. @raghav.srinivasan as it looks like you are grid independent any input would be appreciated.

It takes around 1KW power on average. If you have an inverter of around 1.5KW then it may suffice.

1 Like

Oh no. I am far from being grid independent. @capshankar though will be able to tell you more as he has far more experience with EV’s and Grid Independent power systems than I do.

1 Like

I have one of those Mi WiFi plugs that monitor wattage. I have to jerry rig that to the charging circuit when I get time. The Mi Home app gives me wattage and consumption data.

I have a 1 KV UPS from APC(https://www.amazon.in/APC-SUA1000UXI-1000va-800w-Smart/dp/B00B71S6Q6) on which my entire house runs including a 500lts fridge and Im using a 2 kwatt solar panel connected to charge my batteries via a charge controller to charger the 150x2 C10 rated batteries, hence was checking if someone has tested with inverter/ups .

That would be very helpful @raghav.srinivasan if you can get some realtime wattage reading when connected to charge the ather scooter as I have got wiring done wired to connect the ather charger to charge via the UPS .