On Road Experience

So when we do 90kmph, we’re actually doing only 80kmph?

Is this that thing that all vehicle manufacturers do?

If GPS speed takes interval as 5 second or more, speed will be lesser than on dashboard. Dashboard shows instantaneous speed but GPS speed depends upon refresh rate.

1 Like

Oh okay, so he’ll have to be riding at 90kmph for more than 5 seconds for the GPS to show 90kmph, right?
Else it’ll probably just calculate an average?

1 Like

Yes. All vehicle manufacturers do this.

The refresh rate when I recorded was 1 second.

Why it is so? :thinking:

Two main reasons behind this:

1. Natural variations in speed measurement
  2. Regulations

The tyre diameter is one major influencing factor for the speedometer while calculating speed of the vehicle. Tyre diameter varies a lot due to inflation pressure, tyre size, wear. Hence, speed calculation can’t be accurate all the times.
So the regulations have set the following 2 important rules

1. The indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
    This helps people to be within speed limits on the road. If because of the tyre diameter, the indicated speed was less than actual speed, there would be lot of speeding violation cases.
    Another good thing will be human tendency is to be happy with a higher “perceived” speed.

However Manufacturers can’t display a very high speed also to keep their customers happy. that’s where the second rule comes in.

1. The indicated speed must not be more than 110% of the true speed plus 4 km/h.
    For example, at a true speed of 80 km/h, the indicated speed must not be more than 92 km/h (88+4).
11 Likes

Consistently get 29 to 32 wh/hr

1 Like

What is the speed you recommend??
When I do 30-40kmph, my efficiency is around 30-35whpkm.
When I do 40-50 KMPH, my efficiency is around 40-45whpkm.
I can’t do anything below 30kmph on my route…

1 Like

I think it’s the throttling. Most people I see ride just full throttle it. The dashboard itself will give you a good indicator. Throttle it slowly without the red glow showing and you should reach better efficiency

Yeah that’s true.
Will try from next ride on

1 Like

Accelerate slowly. Start from rest slowly. Make a conscious effort to start slow. This puts less stress on the motor and battery. So you use less power. After you reach a speed of 20-30kmph, you can give it a little more power.
Also try and use regenerative braking as much as you can. To do this, you have to keep enough distance with the vehicle in front of you to prevent sudden braking. Also use the inertia of the vehicle in motion as much as you can too.

I’ve realised that riding an electric vehicle is actually not very different from a petrol vehicle. Petrol is just very easily accessible, takes less time to fuel up and we take that for granted, so we ride however we want.

11 Likes

Exactly my thoughts! When charging points become more accessible then we’ll hear less about mileage and more about stories like the ones @Abhishek has been sharing with us.

4 Likes

I tried to accelerate slowly, but my Nimbus 450 is addicted to the instant torque and everything…
It is just soo difficult to start from rest slowly.

I will try again tomorrow…

4 Likes

You’ve got young blood my friend :smile:

On a side note, everytime I see a Duke or Apache ripping past me on the road, The inner voice in me says - meet you at the next traffic jam .

12 Likes

True.
But can you suggest me the speed for consuming a very low whpkm…

1 Like

My average these days is about 25-30Wh/km when riding alone. This is mainly because I weigh very less😂 but also because I consciously make an effort to accelerate slowly.

When I got the vehicle delivery initially, I rode around for a bit and had an efficiency of 40- 45Wh/km for each trip. In about a week, it reduced to 35Wh/km. It’s not easy, but it’s very possible to get a better efficiency.

Also check your tyre pressure just in case.

4 Likes

Okay. Thanks

@raghav.srinivasan
@foo7803

Accelerated very slowly from start.
Was cruising at 50-60 KMPH all the time.
Best result till date :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It was done in Airport Road
So average speed is high…

kms time (mins)
11.1 33
6.9 20
16.8 37
6.9 12
18.3 39
Total 60 141

This was my ride yesterday - I had to go to the kids school near Sarjpura, and normally I’d go there on the car. Decided to “fuel up” the Ather and ride that instead.

The entire journey was on Sport mode and speeds were high where possible, but generally not above 70 (I feel the rear tire is useless and does not match the strong brakes).

The standard prediction shown on my bike when fully charged is 55 kms. I rode 60 kms yesterday and it changed to “ride” mode about 3 kms before the end of the day’s riding. So I could have ridden about 57 in “Sport” mode and another 10 in “Ride” mode - making the range about 67kms for me in real world conditions.

4 Likes