Home Charging

Hey all,

Tried fast charging for the first time today and it was actually fast :sweat_smile:, my battery level reached 90 from around 60 in just about 35 mins. But the battery fan which kicks in is very loud. Not sure if it was from the pod or from the vehicle.
When I usually charge at home the only sound that I can hear is the fan inside DOT, and that is very negligible. The fan inside vehicle doesn’t even turn on for home charging.
Watchman at my building would be really sad if the vehicle fan would turn on for home charging, because his house is in the parking area.
I guess the fan noise issue was solved with the introduction of DOT

5 Likes

Fan is mainly with respect to battery temperature. In lower level battery takes more current which leads to increase in temp. When it reaches 90 or above current cosumption is less so fan may not turn on.

So in fast charging the more current flows which makes fan on. In home charging may not reach the temperature which kicks fan on. But in my case fan will on whenever i connect Home charger (usually battery will be 50%or less.)

2 Likes

To clarify things,
There is no fan for the battery.
For gen1 vehicles with point the ac to dc converter unit is within the vehicle and that has fan, which runs during charging.
On fast charging, this internal ac to dc converter is just idle and so there will be no fan noise in the vehicle itself… But there will be a transformer box near fast charging point that will produce fan sound.
For gen2 owners with dot, there is no internal ac to dc convertion unit itself so there I no fan inside at all(except motor cooling fan).
So gen2 vehicles while charging at home or grid will not produce fan noise

7 Likes

what is portable charging cable called in india & what is output and input details of charging cable provided by ather

What will the charge for re-locating the Ather dot in case of Change of Residence?

2 Likes

It’s annoying to hear charging sound during night. Is it possible to silence?

Depends a lot on your specific case including distance, materials etc. But you to give you a sense of the cost, it would be similar to the installation cost currently (Rs 1800), but could vary depending on materials, labour etc.

Check this?

so i placed order of charger through customer care 10 days ago , wen we expect to get in chennai once payment done

Good afternoon,
Today I got Ather Dot installed. The scheduled time was 11am but he arrived at 10:30am and finished the work in an hour. Here are some pics of the same

6 Likes

Hello fellow owners,

Have been using Ather for about 3 weeks now. Everything is good except the very high pitch whine. But, recently started observing that the total SoC isn’t reaching more than 98%. This has started happening from last week. Even if I charge it overnight, it is getting stopped at 98%(53/54 KMs range). Has anyone witnessed the same ?

Is this on the Dashboard and the App?

Yes, both on the dashboard and the app

Never did over night charge but even I’m seeing the same 98 % it’s been charging from 6pm today

Yes, I only do overnight charging most times. Twice in a week. Started witnessing this recently from last week

Can you raise a service request if this is happening repeatedly? It’s common for the charging to take much longer from 98% - 100% and it will trickle charge post that.

Yes, will try a couple more times and raise one.

And yes it takes longer from 98-100, but before within 6-7 hrs it would show charging complete and it would try to stay at 100, which would go down to 98 in no time.

But now, it tries to stay at 98 and goes down to 96 in no time. Will see if this repeats and will raise one accordingly.

Thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not facing this issue. Mine gets charged completely (100%)

1 Like

So there’s a problem with scooter charging plug lock not disengaging after failed OTA update:

So today morning, I turned on the ignition, waited 2 seconds, then unplugged the charging plug from the Ather (as I usually do). However, after unplugging, a couple seconds later, the screen suddenly started to show that it was updating for a split second, and then the dashboard just rebooted.

This confused me immensely, because why did it start to update after I unplugged the charger? Anyway, I thought nothing of it, but the screen started glitching out, and so I rebooted the dashboard with the both breaks + ignition shortcut. Everything seemed normal.

I then thought, let me plug it back in if it needs to complete some update. However, the lock for the charging plug was engaged, while the charging plug was not connected to the vehicle. The plug would not go into the vehicle fully, no matter what. I tried rebooting the dashboard multiple times, waiting, turning the Ather Dot on and off, locking and unlocking the vehicle dozens of times, nothing worked, the lock for the charging plug on the scooter was engaged, while the plug was out of the vehicle. This prevented me from charging the vehicle as well. I then proceeded to do a full shutdown of the vehcile (from the settings), and then turned the scooter back on, and finally, it unlocked, and I was able to plug the charger into it.

However, even after plugging it in, there was no OTA update or anything poping up now. Can someone confirm that 4.0.4.612543 is the latest version?

It is even more scary to think about the scenario if this happened while the plug was plugged into the scooter, or if it happened at an Ather Grid location.

I think the way that OTA updates are handled need to be looked into, I can imagine that this happened because an OTA update initiated with some lag, hence tried to initiate after I unplugged the plug, and the scooter thought the plug was still plugged in, so it engaged the charging plug lock and tried to do the OTA update, but then bailed when it realised the plug was unplugged, but then did not disengage the charging plug lock after bailing.

Maybe the OTA update process should not just bail when this happens, and show a message like “OTA update cancelled because charging plug was removed, will try again the next time you plug in to the charger”, and also make sure to unlock the charging plug lock when this happens.

2 Likes

Yea. That is the latest update.

The solenoid locking up is pretty well known. It happens when the plug is pulled out immediately after you just plugged it in - due to a delay in the solenoid engaging.

No OTA has been officially rolled out for this month, so I doubt if there any link between the solenoid lock and this.

1 Like