Charging without crowding

I charged last night at the Fast Charger near the showroom. It took me around 12 mins to charge from 60-70% after which I stopped using it since 70+ takes a lot of time. The other session charged from 27-68% in around 40 mins. Atleast they should have informed that the charging speeds would reduce after 65%

3 Likes

@swapnil.iitm @tarun @abhishek.balaji I suggest penalizing daily grid users to get full charge @ grid by tracking things. Another cheaper alternative is to provide a monthly plan with free Quota So they use the Quota Wisely…

3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Why is there a SmartEco mode in the Ather scooter? You allow us to partially charge the scooter’s battery (80% only) on your fast-charging grid system. We must pay fast charging and parking fees and wait for more than one and a half hours to commute 8O km on an Ather scooter. Let us fast charge the scooter’s battery near its total capacity(~100%). So we can travel an additional 20 km in SmartEco mode and save on parking charges. If this is impossible, please do not give fake advertisements saying you can travel 110 km in SmartEco mode per charge. The actual range of the Ather Scooter is only 80 KM.

3 Likes

Hi! Even if you are using green 2, getting just 80km average solo is on the lesser side. You might want to read these topic to improve range. TBH my range is maximum when I use :zap:. Many in the group can confirm the same.

On the main charging topic, it is “fair use”. Fast charging in the grid becomes very slow after 80%. So many will be stuck waiting for up to two hours to get a connected scooter to the last 20%. There are many posts and topics about this here in the forum, if you have a few minutes to read, that has evolved into these decisions by the company.

3 Likes

They advertise 110km SmartEco, but they don’t advertise that you can full charge on Ather Grid.

They advertise 15km in 10 mins, not hog-the-charger-for-4-hours-for-full-charge.

My bro, I get upwards of 70km on Ride mode with my 450+ ON DAILY RIDES, if I hypermile I can get over 80. (450+ promised range on Eco is 85km) If you can’t get the promised range there’s probably something wrong with your riding. As Adrine abovd me suggested, you should try going through those threads for help!

10 Likes

I need to travel 90 KM (up & down) daily. Most of the time, I ride the bike in SmartEco mode to save the battery charge. It will be challenging to stop every 10 km to find the Ather fast charging grid. Also, I must pay charging fees (1/min) + GST(18%) and parking charges and wait 10min for charging to travel 15 km. If the Ather’s fast chargers are efficient enough to charge the battery near its total capacity(~100%) within an hour, who will hog the charger for 4 hours for a full charge?

In my experience, Sport mode gives the best chance of efficiency, as you can control when to use the momentum on up-hills and down-hills, and ability to coast, than Eco mode.

For your usage too, just a top-up of 15 minutes should be more than enough, which should give more than 20 km range.

I remember my colleague doing this 80 km /day with 10 min top-up at grid every day and he used 100% Sport mode.

4 Likes

I did 200km few days ago and maintaining speed in sports for extracting max rang is pain in ass.

Cruise could have helped in this a lot. But now that’s off the table…

Agree with that. You get wrist pain.

Also, I have done 600km a day in my Eoyal Enfield. never got wrist pain. Not sure why it happens with Ather.

1 Like

In sports mode the accelerator just starts feeling too heavy on the wrist and warp is extremely light to flick inadvertently so the middle ground in a higher output mode is not still available.

1 Like

I agree! For me charging speeds dropped after around 60% Apparently 60% has become my optimised charging cut off instead of 80%

I was wondering what if Ather removed the 80% cut off Nobody in their right mind would pay or wait for charging to 100%

1 Like

Not sure! Guess Ather has to create an expense tracker for each scooter

1 Like

How about prepaid charging?

Once you’re connected to the grid, you enter a number (amount/percentage/kilometres/units) & our scooters would charge for that much & disconnect?

Kinda like a petrol station where you ask the guy to fill for X rupees

4 Likes

They already have. It’s available as fuel savings.

1 Like

I don’t like the auto cut off at 80%. I live in Tumkur and I own a 450+ gen 3. Let’s say I travel to Bangalore (~ 70KMs away) and I will need to charge my Ather to 100% on the grid for a ride back since there’s no grids on the way. Makes no sense to me. You guys are claiming to make it available to who really need it and do I not actually need it in this case?

5 Likes

Your case is genuine. Unfortunately a system can’t differentiate between this and people who don’t have such need and still hog the charger to 100%.

More grids especially on the longer route should solve the problem because you can charge again after 50 kms for a 15 minute top up

4 Likes

Sums it up pretty well

8 Likes