Battery Pack

This is only a problem if you own a 450 that was delivered prior to Sep 2019. The BMS issue (actually one itsy bitsy resistor) was permanently fixed in battery packs 450s delivered post that period.

2 Likes

Okay, mine was delivered in Nov 2019. According to @abhishek.balaji post about the BMS issue, he has mentioned “for vehicles with VIN > 2973, the BMS design has been changed to accommodate a larger capacity resistor, thus minimizing any risk of the resistor burning out due to a sudden surge in the current from the battery pack.”, but my vehicle’s VIN number ends with 2284, doesn’t it mean my vehicle has this BMS issue?

Then yes, you must be cautious. Use shutdown when SoC is less than 60%.

An OTA was pushed to control the rate at which current dissipation (may not be the right term!) happened during shutdown process to prevent the resistor from failing.

I have personally not heard of a BMS failure after that OTA, however not every owner is active on the forum, so no way to tell if that was a permanent fix.

1 Like

I did shutdown my 450X on 97% battery for a full week, and came back to switch it on and it was 95%! Also, it took barely a minute to switch back. So, yeah, it’s safe I guess!

2 Likes

Safe for the 450X and not so old 450s. But the initial 2700 athers or so have a known issue.

I was actually talking about the drain in non shut down/ stand by mode. We lose close to 3-4% if not more per day by just that drain.

That’s the only option now.

Yes I got what you were talking about and the drain is definitely a critical one.

On top of the shutdown dilemma (whether to shut it down or not coz of BMS issue), yesterday I faced another issue while in shutdown mode, battery was at 65% before shutdown on Friday and 58% after switching it on yesterday (Saturday), losing 7% battery charge in a day while in shutdown mode is very very bad. I am facing battery drain issue in both standby and shutdown mode which is definitely a problematic one. And I haven’t used my bike much because of lockdown and WFH. It’s still pretty new and facing such issues while the bike is in good condition is scaring me. Ather needs to fix this.

Won’t BMS issues be covered under warranty ? And Ather themselves have said they will handle BMS issues on case by case basis for initial 450 batch which has faulty BMS ?

2 Likes

That’s not normal at all. 7% per day on standby-YES, while in full shutdown mode - NO!. Get it checked in your next service.

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji From the past few days, I am observing something which I tried to understand but finally putting it in the forum for anyone or Ather to help me.

At my riding style, I usually get 75+ projected range in ride mode. This is also supported by the projected range showing in the App. But my Ather450 never shows higher than the 65Km range in ride mode in the dashboard, I think that’s normal for everyone.

But the thing I observed is the battery percentage always goes down with respect to the range shown in the dashboard. Like the 100% to 0% is calculated on basis of that 65KM range. In that case, even your projected range is high the real-time range is always as shown in the dashboard. I don’t thing after reaching 0% and covered 65KM Ather will allow riding that extra 15KM.

2 Likes

What is your efficiency? The dash calculates range in ride mode at ~37Wh/Km If you’re getting better than that. You should be traveling more distance than youre losing I’m range I’m ride mode.

If u normally get 75+ Km range then when you cover 65Km you still will have about 7-8 Km range left showing in the dash. But also account for some loses. You might be losing battery while parked which is why you are getting a higher projected range but still higher battery drain. How old is your scooter ?

1 Like

I usually travel approx 40KM in a day. But the dashboard range actually shows low compared to the projected range. And battery percentage goes down accordingly.

I got it in May 20, So not one year. Also I start at 100% battery every day. So I don’t think after a 9-hour shift the battery will be drained so much that it will affect the range. So you agree there is a drainage issue with Ather’s battery pack. It must be addressed immidiately.

This is My Jan 21 Log.

Hi Suraj,

It depends mostly I charging it till 80%, if i have some pre-planned trips along with a pillion rider will make it up till 100% charge on that specific day.

But mostly 80% to 85% is what i am currently sticking with.

Isn’t battery pack already limited to 80% of its installed capacity ? So even when we charge daily to :100: which in reality is only 80% right ? So what’s the need to charge to 80% in this scenario ?

1 Like

More like 94%

And when it’s 0% on dash it’s 6% This is why I actually never charge over 85-90%

1 Like

But they said like even 450 and 450x both are limited to 80% of their installed capacity in specification pdf right ?

Idk where they say 80%. Installed in 450X is 2.9kWh and usable is 2.7kWh 450 was installed 2.7kWh and usable 2.4kWh Both have some 250-300Wh of buffer divided on either end . That’s it. Definitely not 80% of installed capacity. Even iQube which has lowest has about 86% of installed capacity usable. Even tesla in their model 3 and S allow 90% of installed capacity to be used.

They don’t say 80% but the 450 plus comes to be 76%. So at 100% it’ll still be 88% So looks like the 450Plus will undergo lesser degradation than the 450. Maybe the only thing you’ll be paying for over the 450 ( but lesser range than 450 which is sad. ) They should have allowed the 450 plus to access 2.4kWh at least

2 Likes

How many volt battery bro for 450x and 450 plus can you tell me

1 Like

Hi Shreyas, during my vehicle delivery, I was told that it’s not advised to let the battery discharge to zero before charging, and they suggested us to charge when it goes down to 20%

So it’s confusing, what is the best way to get better battery life ?