450X: Discussions on battery

I wasn’t aware that #3 will drain more than #2. Any reason why it drains more?

Because, I do it more often as I switch off the charger thru Wifi and leave the cable locked to the scooter all the time.

And, I have felt that the idle drain became more than what I have observed earlier. But, did not know the higher drain was because of the charging cable docked in.

Same. That’s why I’ve changed to charging just before unplugging. So the scooter wake up when the scheduled charge starts and.

Well if you notice, when plugged in the dash is still awake. You touch it and it turns on right? So probably more than normal components are actually turned on and draining battery. If you look closely without touching the dash, you’ll notice that the screen is actually always on during charging, just that the brightness drops by a lot.

2 Likes

Yeah I have seen screen turning On. But after we switch off charger, the scooter remains in the same mode (and continue to drain the same way)?

Sorry, i did not understand. Can you explain it better?

Yup. Try it out. Once you switch off through the s,art plug, you can still touch the dash and it wakes up. It stays like that until you unplug the charger.

Okay so, I’m not sure how you charge your scooter, but a lot of people plug in the scooter at night and start charging and they either put a timer say, stop charging after 2 Hrs or switch off through the app after a while and they leave it overnight and then unplug in the morning. So for most of the time, the scooter is plugged in partially awake and not charging.
What I do is I plug in the scooter at night with the charger switched off. So it doesn’t lock to the scooter. My scooter is in idle. I schedule a charge early morning and when that charging starts, the charging plug is in place and hence locks on, wake up the scooter and starts charging. So this way the scooter gets to stay at a lower power consuming state for most of the night.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

I do the same. i.e plug it in switched off mode. But I don’t unplug it for days after finishing charging. I unplug only when I take it for drive.

So, it means I should go down and unplug it soon after charge completes. Turn off the vehicle and again plug the cable in switched off mode.

But, can’t an OTA be given to go into idle once power cuts off during charging.

1 Like

Highly doubt they’ll do this. Ather recommends the scooter to be charging if it’s plugged in. And its a minimal idle drain increase compare to just key turned off.
What will solve it is complete customisation of charging.

• Charge limit
  • Option to charge to a certain limit and shut down.
  • Option to continue charging after an update.
  • Maybe even let us schedule charges.
  • Option to unlock the charger through the app
3 Likes

Yes, complete customization will solve. But, there is no timeline and it may be long time away.

But, this should be a much simpler update I believe.

We are already worrying about 4-5% idle drain and increase of another 2% is not slight increase. Why should the vehicle be awake even after hours of power not being supplied?

bro l think head light and number plate light are taking over charge from battery … Ather don’t give option for ON / OFF switch if light is off automatically battery drain problem will be slove

The headlights and number plate lights are switched off once you take out your key. :confused: And while riding it needs to be on accorodmg to regulations.

2 Likes

Ather CS told me that 100% to 0% battery usage. Head light will not even consume 1% of battery.

2 Likes

Head light will not even consume 1% of battery it’s ok sir. Then why battery is draining so many owners are facing this problem… from Ather’s side, what solution is given for this unnecessary battery drain?

2 Likes

Because the GPS is on the 2G antenna and sim are still running in the background

Shutting down decreases the idle drain significantly.

1 Like

Yesterday had some time and was going through the forum when I came through a thread which has how to do videos of Ather 450X and in one of the videos it shows that the master switch/engine kill switch should also be used to switch of the scooter ie: while turning off the scooter u have to first use the master switch/engine kill switch and then the key to turn it off in a proper way, generally I very rarely use this method and usually use the key alone to turn off the scooter does this method of switching off has to do anything with battery drain? Because I am also witnessing 2% battery drain after a full charge when left in idle overnight.

1 Like

The engine kill switch will not affect the battery drain in anyway. The kill switch is more of an additional safety switch.

With no sound at idle it’s sometimes risky in case of an EV - I’ve put down the scooter once like this. So, after that incident, I always make it a point to first switch off using the kill switch as soon as I stop…even at signals. That’s what is recommended in the video.

Switching off using the Kill switch or Key makes no difference to the battery drain. Switching off vs “Shutdown” makes a difference though.

1 Like

The cost around 50k but some of the showroom employees don’t know most of the real details. Even I heard different price from different employees. Some says 35k some 40+ and abishek Balaji post around 50k. So I guess there is no clear price right now. Just all are indicative only . So it may around 35-50k.

1 Like

The cost of a replacement battery in the 450 is about ₹50,000.

So the older 1865 cell battery is available?
I remember Tarun saying, when we 450 users need a battery change, it’s going to be unlikely that we will get the same older battery we have.

1 Like

I’m an Ather 450X owner of yours, I wanna know about from where Li-ion cells used in the battery are produced? Is it in-house production or imported from any other country ? If it is imported, then please do mention from which country it is imported?

LG 21700 cells from South Korea.

3 Likes

Off late, I was not really checking the idle drain rate. Last week, I felt 100-10% happened < 2 weeks. So, yesterday I thought to check the drain rate after charging it to full.

Yesterday morning around 7, the SoC was @ 100%. Today, around 7,the SoC was @ 91%. I again checked after ~4 hours, SoC was @ 86%. This is very high drain rate, right?

One thing; I did not plug out the charging cable as some times I stop charging remotely and forget to plug out later. I learnt from @Suraj_madhu that it drains more, but did not know if that causes idle drain to be so high.

How much drain other users sees? is this the new normal?