Battery Pack

2 Likes

Hi bro in ather 450 , 450x and 450+ those model are how many volt battery bro…

Somewhere around 48- 54v I think n

I think it’s 4amps 50 volts

1 Like

Hi @abhishek.balaji. @rajeshkav what’s the latest on the BMS issue with the first batch of ather 450 till sept 19’. I read there’s some resistor problem o something. Din quite understand properly. I hope you guys would be checking the vehicles and fixing the issues if there are any.

Hope you read below post

For VIN<2973, problem still exists.

1 Like

What will happen to battery when embiant temperature is around 40 to 45 degrees because lithium ion tend to loose charge and its life in high temperatures. Wud this deplet it’s life of battery pack in ather 450x.my buying this bike is dependent on answer to this query. How Ather is protecting its battery pack in extreme weather conditions.

Well logically high temperatures will definitely affect the Ather 450X battery since it doesn’t have active cooling. But while riding it is passively cooled by the airflow.
Also, I believe Ather batteries are made of High Nickel which makes them more resistant to high temperatures and so maybe that helps in a hot tropical country like ours. At the most you might see a tad bit faster degradation compared to maybe Bangalore weather. Something you’ll barely notice.

Where are you from? And where do you plan to ride the 450X? As of now, chennai is the warmest city that Ather has been in for a while now. There haven’t been any complaints with the battery yet. Once they’re in Goa and Jaipur for a while. We might have more info. @abhishek.balaji it would be nice to know if you guys have an data regarding usage at 40+ celsius temperatures.

1 Like

But while riding it is passively cooled by the airflow.

I am living in Jaipur where Ather just started selling its bikes…as u mentioned in ur answer that passive cooling will cool battery…but in in 43 degrees temperature air also remain of same temperature…so how battery will remain cool with this air.

Can anyone from company side reply that what Ather made arrangements to protect battery pack from excessive heat in North India like 40°+(temperature) since heat is biggest enemy of lithium ion battery. How heat could reduce charge holding capacity and life of battery pack.

2 Likes

Yes sir. I did read this and my vin is <2973. Will there be a fix from ather regarding this? For all vehicles <2973? @rajeshkav @abhishek.balaji

Unfortunately there is no permanent fix for VIN<2973.

Note below message from Ather for people still want to go ahead

1 Like

Well there is a fix isn’t there? That’s how the scooters which had this issue were fixed. It’s just a bit of a difficult fix and Ather won’t do it unless they really have to. Also what Ather has done, is given a recommendation. It could be called a fix if they didn’t let us shut down the scooter at >60% or a message popped up when we tried to shut down, a warning of some sort. And saying

A long duration is so relative :person_facepalming: 6 hrs is long to me 6 months is long for someone else. This bandaid is till we get out of our warranty period. Once that’s done, wonder how they’ll react to such a situation. That being said, I haven’t really heard of anyone having a BMS issue like this in the recent past. Atleast not on the forum.

3 Likes

Hai Abhishek sir, i have an proposal to explain one of my idea to your technical team. my ideas are all about to improve the range of ather(any model). it can gain charge even when it is on riding too @abhishek.balaji @abhishek.balaji

3 Likes

On multiple discussions over last 3 years, the battery replacement cost was projected to be around 30k - 35k. I was surprised to see Ather has revised its estimate to 55k - 60k.

• Is the battery cost on actuals turned out much different than the earlier projections? Or
  • Is it because of new battery cells being used in 450X is costly? Or
  • Being defensive in projection to avoid a backlash later?

I understand that the projection is always approximate, but revision of the projection from 35k to 60k is almost double.

A post from Ather on 2018:

FAQ compilation based on discussions:

Even during 450X launch, i remember the current battery cost was mentioned around 60k and expected to come down to 40k at the time of replacement.

I think Ather themselves will remember this and there should have been a valid reason for this change. @abhishek.balaji Would like to know the reason from you.

6 Likes

Yeah, projections from previous years, 450 vs 450X costs are all different numbers. Let me find out the details and get back on this.

4 Likes

I have a feeling that the battery costs for replacement are increased to 55-60K to justify the 450x price increase. Ather’s fixed costs are much higher and their volumes are very low. Margins on 450x must be much higher to cover the fixed costs and turn the company into a cashflow positive overall. There may be pressure from investors lead to this change from 450 to 450x.

Only volume and competition can bring down the prices for EVs.

1 Like

Hi Abhishek

I have one doubt…how many days taken for battery replacement in case of warranty claim by customer? any waiting time to replace the battery?

Where did you find this?!

Spoke to Customer Care about that. They responded with 40-50 K . I do not know why they could not be specific! 40-50 is a huge 10K gap ! So that much I know.