Battery Pack

Spoke to Customer Care about that. They responded with 40-50 K . I do not know why they could not be specific! 40-50 is a huge 10K gap ! So that much I know.

As of today, a replacement battery pack (including BMS) in a sealed cast aluminum case will cost you ₹50,000 + GST.

1 Like

My vehicle went 0 SoC for couple of weeks and couldn’t charge it. I managed to plug it in today and for past 20 min I don’t see the display showing up anything. How long would it take for the display to come up at least?

Lithium ion battery price may go down as production increases…

1 Like

Ideally it should have, could you switch off your dot, switch it on again and repeat the whole charging process?

Or try plugging the charger in the scooter and then switching on the dot/pod. Check simultaneously if the scooter is switching on with the key.

I hope one of the combo works and you don’t need to raise a ticket, cause the service team is clearing backlogs, what we all saw last. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Is it true, ather only uses 80 or 85 percent of it’s true capacity, so even if you charge it to 100 percent you’e not really charging the actual battery pack to 100 percent, it will just be 100 percent of capacity that they allow.

2 Likes

Do ather have a secondary backup battery on board or do they use only the single pack for all needs of the vehicle?

All Ather vehicles, including the older 450, have only 1 Lithium Ion battery pack that is located below the floorboard.

Unlike petrol 2wheelers, EV 2wheelers do not require a 12v accessory battery.

2 Likes

Hi bro, I have one doubt - after 3 to 4 years, when battery problem comes, how many days is the time taken to replace the new battery? Why I’m asking this question is, Ather is currently importing Lithium ion cells from South Korea. So how many days is the waiting time for replacement of the new battery… any information you know bro about replacement?

1 Like

They import only cells. not the Battery. Battery is built in Hosur. It’s not like if your battery needs to be replaced, they’ll place order for cells and then build the battery and then replace it. They’ll have stock of batteries. And it’s not like you HAVE TO replace the battery after 3-4 years either.

2 Likes

I wonder if Ather can repair battery packs and replace the defective cells only, this will bring down the cost of replacing the entire battery pack, They do have the battery testing facility, which they primarily use for testing the new batteries If Ather sets up a battery repairing also it will be a lot of benefits. Since cells cost, only a few hundred and not all cells can go bad. This will save many things: the BMS, the casting, and the wiring of all those if a battery pack needs replacement. Not to forget we help the environment a little bit too.

13 Likes

I have a question do Ather replace or (can we take old battery) with us and and install new battery pack. Cause the aluminium cast can be reused and BMS also. Only cells can be replaced. If ather answers all questions That would be good. And if they give old battery we can use them as home backup inverter.

3 Likes

As far as we know, no one has bought a new battery. Only after 1-2 years, we can expect few people to purchase a new battery because of poor range.

Ather is yet to come up with pricing model for battery replacement. Only then, we will know details like how much Ather is going to value the old battery.

Actually, that will be the biggest benefit of ability to repair / replace the bad cells. That will make Ather truly environment friendly.

I am not sure if it will be difficult for Ather to decide warranties for such replacements.

In addition: If Ather can certify the battery health (including bad cells) & buy them back at attractive cost, it will save money and still be good for environment.

I am tempted to ask to retain my battery pack (when I replace it) to be retrofitted into my Solar PV system. But that would also mean investing in equipment to build a 58v power supply to charge that battery pack!

7 Likes

spending 50-60k on a new battery just to give the range back? but if you do get a new battery pack I would suggest getting a DELI BMS according to your voltage requirements and a battery spot welder which costs 10k I think in Aliexpress, this investment is worth it. you can retest all the cells and throw out the highest internal resistance ones.

This way you don’t need the battery aluminium case because they are meant to be used for forced air input, keeping it on standby for use in solar backup batteries will degrade the cells sooner

2 Likes

Eventually SoH is going to drop to a level that may no longer be practical for my daily usage. Don’t know when that will happen.

1 Like

That’s what worries me all that saving I will do from a usual ICE scooter all those oil changes and parts change which will wear out and force us to get replaced, In EV a battery replacement is the one slingshot which covers it all.

1 Like

With the current rate of detoriation, it is still long way for most of us.

Once the range goes below 50 kms (from the current 75 kms), we will have range anxiety even at 80% charge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, even with 50km range I’d manage well due to availability of charging infra at my office and enroute. When SoH hits 50% is when it becomes impractical for me.

1 Like