450X: Product/Technical discussions

I have heard that the 90kph on the dashboard is actually 80 in real life it’s just a dash board indication,is this true?

1 Like

Just shutdown when you aren’t using the bike. It barely takes a few seconds to startup cos the motor controller will start even before your dashboard boots up completely.

2 Likes

I have heard it takes around 1 min to start after shutting it down also does the scooter move if given throttle while the motor is on and dashboard is still booting up?

In Ather 450, I have noticed It hardly takes 15 seconds.

In fact, before you take the helmet and wear it, it will be ready.

1 Like

Read my below post for answers to that.

1 Like

Is this is for the shutdown and restart thing?

I understand your point but is the 90kmph accurate is what my question all about.

No. The government mandates that it should not be accurate. If speed limit is 80kmph on a road, and you’re maintaining 80kmph on the speedo, you’re actually going at a lower speed, and the government is happy with that.

2 Likes

So what’s the exact difference b/w the speed indicated on dashboard and that in real life in particular to ather? 5kmph or 10kmph As far as I know at low speeds it should around 4kmph and at high-speeds around 10kmph Can you confirm this Abhishek?

I strongly urge you to read the resources that other members have shared. It’s not a constant difference ofcourse.

I have read this and it mentions 10% of difference + 4kms variation maximum is possible but my question is how is it with ather because that’s 12kms of difference permiited for 80kmph(92-80= 12) and how much of difference is ther with ather 12kms or anything less at 80kmph

to answer your question, I have tried it with my cell phone’s GPS based speedometer which does give at least 95% true reading which at most times I have checked with Ather is like 8% mismatch, The reading in Ather can show 50km/hr but in GPS reading shows 44km/hr sometimes 48 or 43, there is always 5-10% difference, But what the Dashboard says is always more than the true speed. That has been kept according to Govt. Regulations so that we don’t Overspeed. Though I would love it if Ather corrects the to a minimum of 3-5% over the actual

3 Likes

There’s no exact answer for this as There are many parameters involved (mentioned in my post). Also as @abhishek.balaji mentioned it’s not a constant difference between real and indicated. Not just Ather, no manufacturer will be able to tell what the exact difference between real and indicated is in their vehicles. Every vehicle will be within this 10%+4kms window.

This is a good to know topic…but for all practical purpose it’s best that we go by the indicated speeds.

4 Likes

Imo This rule/mandate is ridiculous. How on earth will such difference not allow me to go as fast as I can? Weird regulations, weird people in the government. So Ather’s 0-40 in 3.3 secs is all false? Tesla’s 1.9 secs to 60 miles is all rubbish? Ok rant over. Peace :v:. Its just that such mindless rules make me super annoyed.

3 Likes

I think the speed difference kicks in only when you go above a particular limit. I’m not sure. Someone has to enlighten me about it.

Trust me sir you are not alone. Our govt thrives in making mindless rules :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Today i went to start my ather 450x and shocked to see that the display is on without key…just like when it is ready to start.

M bit concerned because all day i stay in home and take ather out during morning hours thats it

2 Likes

Interesting question. It might be an interesting case study for Ather to do some tests and compare battery drain for people on connect plans and people who aren’t. But IMO it shouldn’t be that huge of a difference, the new update changed the sync to every 15 minutes.

We’ve seen battery drains at about 3% to 5% for 12 hours or so for people with connect plans. So if you don’t have a plan, it might be 1-2% lower. Realistically you won’t be saving much. And as @raghav.srinivasan pointed out, just shutdown the scooter. That will have the same effect as the sim not working.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong when I’m saying this. The Connect subscription costs have been justified by Ather when they said they use the money to maintain the data pipelines and servers.

But those who DON’T use the data pipelines and servers (the ones WITHOUT a Connect subscription) don’t pay for its maintenance. I mean Ather uses the Jio SIMs of those people who AREN’T on a Connect subscription for data and hence require it to be maintained. How else do they diagnose issues remotely or send updates?

So who do you think pays for it? Of course the Connect Pro/Lite subscribers. Haha, aren’t you thrilled at paying for my SIM’s data pipeline and server maintenance? Yes, not only are you paying for your’s but also for everyone who doesn’t use it.

And not just you, but everyone gets their charge sucked out because y’all pay for it. 1-2% of SoC you say? How much would that scale up to for thousand’s of NON-subscribers over a FYquarter.

Now considering all the charity you’re doing, the standard of Navigation services and and other App related services you’re getting is underwhelming , isn’t it? I was happy to pay when I learnt about this, but the services are too sluggish and useless at most times.

2 Likes

But what if they already included the cost of the sim and future plans in the scooter’s ex-showroom price… woah! :joy:

Nothing is free, right? :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

That’s right, nothing’s free.

But I don’t pay for my SIM’s internet and maintenance costs because I’m not on a Connect Pro/Lite subscription. But Ather still uses it for data gathering, diagnostics, and Over the Air updates.

There was a breakup of the scooter’s ex-showroom price here on the forum by a few enthusiasts trying to justify the money they paid. There wasn’t any mention of SIM/internet-related costs. Also, a sim atmost costs only Rs. 100 which should have been integrated into the showroom price. I’m talking about internet and maintenance related costs.

It’d be interesting to see the breakup of subscription service related costs. It’s high time someone asked for it. Well, I don’t really care anyway because I don’t buy them.

3 Likes

I totally agree. The overall experience with navigation is extremely sluggish. Its to a point where you feel like smacking a hammer on the dashboard. You just can’t depend on that onboard navigation when you need it the most. I have had a very painful experience. I have even held my phone in one hand checking directions while driving. I have surely abused a ton during that ride from Khandala to Navi Mumbai. I am actually sitting on the edge. If Ola gets it right, I am leaving Ather. The bike is extremely good but the software? And now I read about the problems with grids been offline or been slow or been hogged. :man_facepalming: Phew! My bp is shooting as I type this. :joy::joy:

3 Likes