Warp is still Warp

I can confirm that my scooter was taken for testing and here are my two cents:

Yes, The feel of my scooter was much better after it came back from Ather. I could feel the warp mode back in it’s former glory (we’ll give it a little slack because I put on 3kgs during the lockdown).

@Cloudgraphy and I had a candid discussion before our meet with @abhishek.balaji and @chaitanya.hegde and I was convinced that @ather would say something along these lines.

I can corroborate this as well. The Mi portable air compressor seems to be off. The question has to be asked: Which is correct? Mi or the petrol bunk or something else? I do not know if the petrol bunk compressor is any better calibrated. @abhishek.balaji you will have to confirm what device Ather uses to fill up tires.

I did the same thing with my scooter. I overinflated by 6 psi on both wheels and did not feel any major changes in the performance (other than the ride being a little unstable due to low surface contact). I then Underinflated by 4 psi on both wheels and that had very minimal difference. Conclusion: A few psi difference in tire pressure does not make a difference. Ather mentioned that the secondary belt tension was 52 Hz on my scooter when it was received by them.

Encouraged by @abhishek.balaji I also rode one of their test drive vehicles from the Indiranagar EC and I can safely say that my vehicle NOW performs exactly like the test drive vehicle, if not a bit better. (Also to note: The test drive vehicle was on 10.1.2-202117) Abhishek Balaji did mention that the test drive vehicles are always kept at optimum conditions (as should be expected) and they go through a lot of periodic services and checks.

I am now partially satisfied with the performance of my scooter. Partially because according to Ather, the belt tension, tire pressure and a few other superficial things are what determines the performance of the scooter.

This is my honest opinion:

1. The scooter is not as robust as Ather thinks it is. Service intervals will have to be increased because my scooter is relatively new. It was delivered in late march and had only 1173 km on it when I gave it for testing. If what Ather says is to be believed, in less than 4 months my belt pressure went so bad that my scooter noticed such a huge drop in performance. Also, these are very minor things that should not affect the performance in a MAJOR way. Again it could be a case that there was a few more things wrong with my vehicle and it all added up. I simply cannot seem to understand that such a robust vehicle would degrade so soon.

This makes perfect sense.

1. Why on earth would so many people notice the issue suddenly: IMO I think it’s because the belt has been degrading so much during the updates and the lockdowns that one fine day someone felt the performance drop, put it up on the forum and a lot more people realized that they were not alone in this. I remember that I was not active on the forum for a while and when I noticed the issue I came to the forum to find a few people facing something similar. Once it’s out, everyone realizes that something is wrong and actually pays attention to their ride. A lot of people I know are too busy to care how their ride feels unless you ask them if they feel something is wrong.

2. I do not think Ather’s investigation should end with this. I also asked Ather to check if it was vehicles from one specific production batch that were reporting problems. They said it was not. In fact @Cloudgraphy and my vehicle were from very different batches. (Maybe they should inspect the parts used) A lot of us buy the 450X just for the warp and if it means that it requires more regular maintenance, then you should work out a way to solve the issue entirely or just reduce service intervals or introduce a ‘performance tune up’ every three months to all 450X owners.

I would like to point out that the ‘change’ was noticed first based on ‘judgement of feelings’. I did not run any tests and churn out any numbers and then say that the performance dropped. I ‘felt’ it. To just give you a better understanding, here is how I observed the initial change: I like to drive the first 100 meters or so from my house to the main road without my helmet on just to feel the air hitting my face IYKWIM. I like to do this on the warp mode because I love the initial torque and the little rush it sends my body. I have to do this about 3 times before I hit the main road because of turns. On fine day, I take out my ride, I engage the throttle and poof no kick out of it. I could not feel that initial excitement that I always felt. Tried it again a few times and nope, still was flat. This is how I knew something was wrong. Now, coming to how I tested my scooter after I got it back, I did the exact same thing and I felt that ‘kick’ (inertia) which was more significant than before.

Yes, the argument has to be made that I did not have my scooter for about a week and some amount of change that i felt can be attributed to me having driven an ICE during that week. Also contrary to @Cloudgraphy 's scooter, I noticed an increased level of vibration and noise on the scooter after it came back.

Honestly, a major part of this industry runs on ‘feelings’ of the customer. If I say, “Hey, this scooter goes 0-40 in 2 seconds”, that’s just a number unless the customer actually feels this happening. I felt the difference and I feel that my scooter is better now.

12 Likes

May be when we bought the Ather 450x the performance was over tuned and now it’s brought back to spec?

If there is a room to improve the performance as what we experienced before,why can’t Atherenergy do it for us now?

All this performance drop happened after the introduction of Bluetooth mode, do we think the culprit is Bluetooth?(10.0.3)

May be Atherenergy didn’t tune the warp mode but other software changes made the mode drop in performance due to poor processing power or over loading (after 10.0.2)

Is the performance map of the ather450x managed in cloud or local firmware?

Why can we try running Ather 450x without any other applications running in background (raw mode, user cannot test this) and check if improvement in performance.

Why didn’t Atherenergy test scooters with 10.0.1 or 10.0.2?

Above questions keep running in my mind may be useful to find a solution. Thanks :+1::relaxed:

1 Like

What about the fan noise in scooter?

Processing power of the Android screen will not affect performance. The power electronics are generally kept seperate. You can have the Android screen restart on you while riding the scooter. It does not affect it. It seems the issue comes down to belt tension and tyre pressure. I wish Ather would create a guide or a video tutorial on how to check belt tension. I don’t want to visit service center everytime warp mode performance drops.

3 Likes

I agree the processing not least grab 5% of total power required to run the motor, but if anything else was affected by introducing the Bluetooth mode,

However left to Atherenergy to decide upon,

I worry if the performance is dropping without even touching the parameters what will happen in future.

1 Like

Going through all of this and all the stuff related to Owner’s problems, it had made me wonder what will happen to the new owners. Ather is expanding to other cities, some Issues are bound to happen since 450 Plus and 450X are new products. What if someone faces an issue like belt tension or something and is unaware about such things. One may not be necessarily active on the forum. Also how can one compare to what was there earlier and what is it now? Sending scooters to Hosur may not exactly be feasible from cities in Northern India( MP, Delhi, Lucknow and especially Guwahati. I’m a bit concerned about going ahead with my purchase in the coming months now.

2 Likes

True! But, assuming if you buy the scooter now, what you experience in Warp mode, would be the base to future comparisons after OTA updates. Not the current change in performance which we existing owners felt!

Do get another test ride and share your opinions, if are you able to feel any difference… that would be a unique perspective, whether you could catch it or no! :grinning:

3 Likes

Right. But the information about belt tension etc etc being unknown stll remains. I would definitely test ride the vehicle second time when it comes to my city. Need to do some checks. Who knows I would require more than two😂. On that note, maybe it’s happening sooner than “soon”.

Another possible explanation is that once we get used to the warp mode, we might never get the first “wow” feeling (when we rode first in warp mode!) It’s human, we need more!

1 Like

I second that, maybe we are getting conditioned to the WARP mode :man_shrugging:t2: Need a “Ludicrous Mode” soon? :rofl:

Then this will be marketing for next model.

The initial violent thrust or jerk from stand still is not there. Other than that Warp mode seems to be exactly how it was before.

We know that before these tests were done the belt tension was adjusted. @Cloudgraphy mentioned they adjusted the belt tension from 48hz to 55hz. Higher the natural frequency higher the belt tension.

This is just a speculation Overtime the belt tension may have reduced and presence of little slack in the belt drive is the reason behind the loss of the instantaneous jerk.

Motorcycles require fairly regular adjustment of chain slack too, so it makes sense belt tension could be the culprit. Maybe I am wrong.

It would be really nice if Ather could clarify this so we can look out for these things when we go to the service center.

How this belt tension got suddenly reduced after 10.0.3 software ota updates?

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong. The two scooters belonging to forum members were running 10.1.x firmware and they felt the Warp feel was back. That would mean it is not firmware related.

My scooter running 10.1.x I still not felt the old warp

1 Like

I was talking about the two scooters that were tested by Ather. Their scooters were tweaked their belt tension and tyre pressure adjusted.

2 Likes

Yes sir! Only the things that you have mentioned.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 10.1.4 feedback thread