Warp is still Warp

If actual physical phenomena caused a performance drop, how does that begin to explain why a whole host of people started noticing the issue right after a software update?

Also, of the two mentioned probable causes, tire pressure is something that is expected to drop over time and can be brought back up by the user. Belt tension is not.

First of all, why are belts tensioned so inconsistently from the factory? It seems to be the most common reason given by the company for any NVH and acceleration related complaints. Shouldnā€™t there be a standard value that every scooter should be delivered with?

Secondly, what is the rate of tension loss? One would expect the initial value to remain within tolerance until at least the service interval. If the belts go slack faster than that, a user cannot be expected to monitor and manage it all on his / her own.

Finally, what are the odds that a whole bunch of belts went slack right after a software update?

3 Likes

Validations based on how you felt driving in the warp mode donā€™t work in this industry buddy. Itā€™s driven by numbers. Would a company sell products just because they felt good riding it? Do you think anybody would just blindly go test ride the scooter for itā€™s warp mode if they didnā€™t hear about the 3.3s acceleration? So did you see your scooter hit 40kmph in 3.3 seconds?

@raghav.srinivasan asked me to talk in a mature and civilized manner. So Iā€™m asking for the numbers. We donā€™t want rumours to cloud consumers here, based on how you felt with different tyre pressures. Did the team show you the numbers after the tweak at the least?

2 Likes

Now we realise how important tpms could be!

I too feel now, its going to be helpful, but at what price, we are yet to know !

May I suggest that all EC & charging grid should be equiped with compressor and well calibrated high quality tyre pressure gaugeā€¦

By far the best suggestion, should cut all the confusion !

Who knows if your benchmark scooter really hit 40kmph in 3.3 seconds?

@abhishek.balaji can we reveal these numbers? knowing there are competitors on the forum :joy:

Why donā€™t you pick 3 users from Forum

I am one of them, brother :sweat:.

I Take Full Responsibility for it - because - I vouched for Ather

Please, please do not take ANY responsibility for any company, unless your paid to do so, sir ! Every time a person asks me, whether he should purchase an Ather, I put across Ather as a company, which has yet to prove a lot and I fall under the category - Early adpopters. If the person is happy with an ICE, please sugget them an Ntroq. Period. But if your friend / relative are ready to accept issues at an early stage of an EV, only then go ahead and refer them. The EV industry has a lot to grow yet, its the tip of the iceberg.

Youā€™re subtly encouraging street racing now? Nice!

:joy:

Were they invited to test ride the benchmark scooter and their own scooters back to back ?

Nope. Ather picked up, self-tested our scooters at their factory in hosur and returned them.

@abhishek.balaji and @chaitanya.hegde, could we include them as well in future, for any inputs and suggestions?

1 - @blackworks 2 - @akkirv786 3 - @vinith_karadi

IMO, They are active and interactive to improve Ather as a company!

Please be clear on how you noticed the change. Also, youā€™re free to express your opinion in detail on how you felt. Maybe, since we donā€™t have any numbers to prove the case, we can replace all the expensive equipment used for testing with your judgement of feelings on the warp mode.

Was your heart fluttering and your legs shaking in excitement, like when a really cute girl in the bar asks you out? How did it feel? Iā€™m eager to know buddy.

We donā€™t want rumours to cloud consumers here, based on how you felt with different tyre pressures. Did the team show you the numbers after the tweak at the least

Yup, hence asked @abhishek.balaji, could we reveal the numbers here ? Not sure, whatā€™s their policy on that.
The numbers shown to me over a meet, to reveal what they observed, had differences in milliseconds. for example - the benchmark scooter had 0-40 kmph in 3.31 sec and mine was at 3.28 sec, if Iā€™m right But again, I want Ather to reveal these numbers here, if they can. That would put a lot of questions at rest.

Considering how Lord Balaji goes out of his way to ignore my posts, and was supposedly involved in having some paid frame realignment work on my scooter delayed after I modified it to eliminate floorboard vibrations, I would expect to see flying pigs before receiving an invitation for a performance test. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

At the end of the day, it was what we ā€œfeltā€ made the team test whether there was a drop in the Warp mode, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

Again, Iā€™m just a customer right? Not a genius. Can write as much as I can, along with details what I have observed. Not a full-time Ather test rider eh?

Please be clear on how you noticed the change.

• Better pick-up in Warp mode vs. sports mode.
    Observations, post return of scooter -
    Sports mode - Pickup is linear, non-constricted and smooth.
    Warp mode - Initial pickup is a sudden and then matches similar to sports mode.
  • Belt noise reduced drastically and its not noisy as it used to be previously.

Another additional thing I noticed - Under seat fan used to previously kick-in between signal runs, in Warp mode (10.1.4) and used to vibrate the entire seat, thus making people stare with a look " is everything ok".
That seems to have disappeared entirely.

3 Likes

Manā€¦ please take my bike too. That fan is really annoying me. Just replace that damn thing with an AC. I will pay for it.

2 Likes

Your feedback is much more trustworthy than the selective statistics in the first post.

All of these point towards tweaks being carried out to much more than just tire pressure, including but not limited to belt tension adjustments. That defeats the companyā€™s claim that absolutely nothing was changed to make Warp warpy again, and all the complaints regarding performance are simply products of customersā€™ imagination as well as their inability to maintain tire pressures within some very tight margins.

3 Likes

Hoping to see such drastic changes once I get my S1 back from their factory. Mine has ā€˜nā€™ of issues including body parts falling apart while riding (literally) due to multiple service centre visits and the recent wiring harness and throttle replacement.

@abhishek.balaji i guess you guys can try to take off from your runway on my S1 too and check the issues. And yes I would want to see the results if those can be shared with me separately.

1 Like

Sad, to see the scooter covering such great distance to be tested in Hosur, instead in Delhi itself! Hope this isnā€™t a long wait! And all issues get rectified.

Off-topic : Could you share the thread, if you have created, regarding parts falling! May have missed it.

They tried their best to resolve all my issues but they didnā€™t have a service center and only 1 service advisor and a technician who are very proactive in resolving my issues. They were unable to understand what is giving all those issues. I had spoken to Tarun during the Delhi EC launch and he like a true professional told his team to get my scooter to the specialized team in Bengaluru and give me a loaner in perfect condition. Not to forget they said to use it like itā€™s my own :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:.

I havenā€™t created a thread on the parts falling apart. But will definitely write a thread on my experience from the day of delivery to date. That should cover it all up.

6 Likes

This is what I was thinking as well, cos the whole thing started with users ā€œfeelingā€ their scooter being not as peppy. Ather picked your scooter as an example, did the tests, fixed the minor flaws seemed to have to been causing the issue, and you have now ā€œfeltā€ that peppiness back. Seems like a proper fix to me.

Honestly, I never* felt the drop in Warp Mode personally, and have felt the tyre pressure making major differences in performance/range. If people go on to ā€œfeelā€ their scooter is sluggish, not sure what more can be done about ā€œfeelingsā€. :man_shrugging:

I have not felt any difference in warp. It has been the peppy best as always. I am not surprised with this post at all. Good that now people will understand the need in getting for TPMS.

1 Like

Another question will be the accuracy of tpms,if it has an error like the mi air compressor itā€™ll be not of much use and according to me it is more of the belt tension and the throttle issue,the air pressure thing maybe one of the reasons among them.

1 Like

Yup! Gotta wait and watch if the TPMS is as accurate as possible, additionally being affordable !

@abhishek.balaji I hope we can use our credits, to purchase TPMS ? šŸ„²

1 Like

Another purchase on the scooter? What evenā€¦this is getting higher than the expectations given to us

When ather refferal program started they said we can use credits for subscriptions, accessories, merchandise etc.

Till now they havenā€™t enabled it for purchase of portable charger or upcoming 4g dongle upgrade in 450

Superb. I expected this ā€œall are under specā€.

Why did you test the vehicle which had software version 10.0.3? is this the first software version delivered to customers and they felt warp performance drop after next OTA update? If tire pressure is the issue behind that, the customers who faced warp performance drop had maintained correct psi for months and days before the feel the drop issues right? So, we the customers have not maintained tire pressure and putting the blame on perfect and customer friendly brand that maintains all under spec!

I donā€™t know what was the benchmark spec for 10.0.1 version was because I rode it for two weeks after delivery up to 10.0.2 update. I didnā€™t feel performance drop until 10.0.3 OTA update. May be the tire pressure spec has been varied by OTA update.

Since Iā€™m satisfied with this results, Iā€™m not going to recommend anyone to buy Ather because theyā€™ll say ā€œall under specā€ for future issues due to OTA updates and request the customers to maintain the vehicle properly. Good keep it up :clap: :+1:.

@abhishek.balaji Since you said that vehicle with 10.0.3 software version is tested, why donā€™t you test my vehicle with the previous version i.e 10.0.1 and say that Iā€™ve not maintained my tire pressure and had overwhelming performance imagination. I think that is not possible right? Ather can only upgrade and not downgrade software version.

1 Like

Hey, could you use quote function to show where it says, the vehicle tested was on 10.0.3. Because my vehicle, which was tested, was on 10.1.4 Today its on 10.1.5.
Just confused! The benchmark vehicle OTA version hasnā€™t been mentioned, which should be, youā€™re right.

1 Like