Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

Having two networks at current volumes will definitely mean increased cost. Even right now, they might be making losses on Connect Subscriptions (Data Cost + Pipeline Cost).

But, as volume increases, these will get better.

Anyone received any updates on module upgrade I thought they will start asking the owners on starting it by 20th

1 Like

I m also waiting to hear.

Here you go…

@abhishek.balaji I am taking out ather to my home town because of lockdown. Can you please make a special request to get the 4G module upgrade in my scooter before this Friday. I would be highly satisfied if this request is considered.

As mentioned in the post and in the form, the first batch is Bangalore only. We’ll share an update when we open it up for everyone.

If you open in next I will not be able to upgrade it since I will be in my hometown. It may take another 3-6 months for the upgrade. So just wanted to know if anything can be made feasible from your end.

Slow and steady progress is getting down, will love the feedback from the owners who get the upgrades BTW will you give us back the old module?

Looks like Chennai will have to wait till May first week for the module , today they took my scooter for network drop issue and I’m being told it will take 2 more weeks for Chennai to be having the upgrade. Since Bengaluru is on Covid Lockdown why not give Chennai a Go?

Anyone done with the upgrade? Your review would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

It’s been halted due to COVID restrictions in the city.

1 Like

What is the plan to resume the 4G module rollout to the 450s when the lockdown is lifted in Bangalore over the next couple of weeks?

The automotive sector has opened in Chennai from today can we expect the upgrade now? It’s been long overdue, just saying :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

We’ve got a bunch of requests for servicing during the lockdowns. Plus, operating at 50% capacity at service centers means that we don’t have enough service bandwidth to kick off the installations.

The team is prioritizing the backlog of requests and will start reaching out over the next couple of weeks or so to get the upgrades started.