An 'e-motion'al connect - Hemanth's Ather 450

the ride by wire device is loose and moves inside out of dashboard, monitored when just throttling and de-accelerating in idle.

My scooter touched the 10k kms mark on the ODO on 6th June 2021 (and currently the ODO reading is 10023 kms)

The usage of the scooter has dramatically reduced and the last 1k kms took 450days!! The average kms per day was around 25kms till Feb 2020 and now it’s 12kms and going down! So is the avg kms per month!

The vehicle has been picked up today morning and the 10k Kms service will be performed. Mechanically, the scooter has no issues whatsoever and is running as it did on Day1. However, there are software bugs.

My scooter had stopped receiving OTAs since quite some time. After a lot of troubleshooting exercises, I was told that the source of the issue must lie with the Vodafone 2G connectivity and the issue should get solved with the 4G upgrade. I had hence kept the ticket for this issue open till the 4G upgrade is done.

Yesterday evening, I got a call from Ather for the 4G module installation on my 450. Today morning the vehicle was picked up and it is currently in IBC for the same. As communicated by Ather earlier, I was informed again that this 4G module upgrade will cost me ₹2500+450tax=₹2950. I confirmed.

Since mine is on lease, as per the communication sent by Autovert, information about the 4G upgrade must be given to Autovert in advance so that they adjust this amount of ₹2950 towards the cashback/retention charges of the lease. I informed Autovert yesterday and they acknowledged and gave a go ahead.

Hoping to get the scooter back with all issues solved and no new issues!

7 Likes

Do update if the OTA thing is solved.

Congratz Hemanth :slight_smile: My odo reads half of what you have done in almost same duration. :slight_smile:

I too didn’t receive my OTA & I was sure 2G to be the reason. Becoz, 4G upgrade was on the cards by May-June, didn’t complain. Even postponed my 5K service so that I can do along with 4G upgrade…

Waiting to hear your feedback after your 4G upgrade.

I was among the first few who signed up for 4G dongle upgrade as soon as it was announced. Waiting to hear from Ather soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine scooter 450 problems starts after 13.5k ODO .

Let see future updates…

On 10th July, the scooter was returned back to me. Both pickup and drop was handled well - on time, masked up, well sanitised.

As soon as I got the scooter I could see “4G” written beside the signal strength. Eager to check out, I switched to the navigation screen but I was welcomed by this loading screen. A bummer!

The rider who dropped off the vehicle and I waited for 10 mins but nothing changed. Then I did the usual Cntrl-Alt-Del of this vehicle and the vehicle rebooted. After that it worked!

• I went for a small ride and made the following observations:

• I was informed that the belt tension has been adjusted and that’s resulted in a minor change in the Wheee sound of the vehicle.

• After the vehicle was picked up when the Service advisor had called me, I’d told him to check two squeaking noise issues - One coming from the side-stand spring and the other coming from the brake pads. Both seem to be rectified and not hearing any noises so far.

• Maps loaded visibly faster and searching locations was way faster now. However the signal strength is nothing great to talk about. Even in the open, the signal strength was nil!

• My ride stats have not been in sync for a very long time now-since March 2020 to be correct. I’m told the 4G upgrade should help solve that issue too and I’ve to keep an eye on that now

The latest firmware has been installed during the service. But I guess it’ll be flashed manually and not OTA. Whether the 4G upgrade has solved the issue of me not receiving an update OTA will only be known in the next update.

9 Likes

Did you ask for the old hardware which was replaced?

From what I’ve understood, this 4G upgrade involves a Dongle that’s “added”. I don’t think there is any hardware removed. And moreover, even if I’d asked, I wouldn’t have got it as my scooter is actually a property of Autovert and not mine.

3 Likes

I had always loved the way 450x looks in white. Compared to my white 450, the only visual difference is that the front handle shroud on the 450x is black. Just this one change makes the vehicle more sportier. Over the last weekend, got that changed in my 450 and this is how it looks now :sunglasses:.

However the entire experience with the service centre for this exercise was unsatisfactory! Here’s the long story…

Two weeks ago, when the 4g upgrade was done, I’d requested for this change too. But this shroud was out of stock and I was told to get it done later. A week later (Friday) I called the Customer Service(CS) number to check and the part was back in stock. I requested the executive to schedule a pick-up. He told me that there were no pickup slots that day and it’d be faster if I could drop it myself. I was informed that if I drop the vehicle myself on Friday evening itself or Saturday morning, I’d get it back by Saturday afternoon itself. Even though pickup and drop is not chargeable for me, because I have Ather One 360, I decided to drop it myself as it’d speed up things (or so I thought). Also with this excuse I get to ride the vehicle at least(although it’s just 8kms).

By 10am I dropped the vehicle at the NS Palya service centre. The handover was smooth and in 10 minutes, I was out of there. I was told that someone would call later when it’s ready. But till 4pm, I didn’t get any call. I called the CS myself at 2pm, 5pm and 6pm to follow up and all 3 times I was promised a callback from the service personnel immediately and the vehicle will be delivered the same day. But as it happened, neither did I get a callback, nor did I get the vehicle. It’s high time that a direct number to call the service folks is introduced.

Then Sunday was a closed day! I then expected to get a call by Monday morning at least. But I only got a call by the service personnel at 3pm. He told that the vehicle is ready and I could collect it anytime. I requested him to schedule a drop. I was told that if the vehicle is dropped by me, it should be picked up also by me. TBH, I was baffled by this strange condition! I then told him that I have a subscription plan and I wanted the vehicle to be dropped as I was entitled to it. He said that they can’t do it like that. I told I’ll take this up with the CS and didn’t discuss it further with him. I called the CS AGAIN and they told they’ll arrange it and I’ll get a call from the service guy. I sure got a call this time but he told that all drop slots were full for the day and it can be dropped only on Tuesday. I was unhappy but I agreed as I didn’t want to go and get it myself. Finally, on Tuesday at 11PM, I got a call that the vehicle will be departing to my home. What was supposed to happen on Saturday afternoon finally happened the next Tuesday afternoon!

I was informed about the final billed amount. I asked them to send the card swiping machine as I wished to use my credit card and didn’t want to pay using UPI or cash. He acknowledged and told that it’ll be sent by default.

After an hour, the vehicle reached home. Guess what, the card swiping machine was not sent! This really put me off. I said I won’t pay in any other mode! (If I hadn’t asked for it before, I’d have probably paid in other mode). I was then given a payment link through which I could use my credit card (this was how payments used to happen earlier with Ather).

This was not the end…after I paid, I looked at the bill the next day and saw that there was a row item for labour charge! for my subscription plan, labour change for “any” kind of service is not chargeable. My bad, I should’ve checked the bill before paying. I now have AGAIN contacted the CS and have raised a ticket and awaiting a refund. :disappointed:

TLDR: Previously my experiences with the services were all good but this was the opposite. With increased number of vehicles on the road, this is probably their turbulent stage in setting things right at the service centre. Alignment between the Ather teams need to improve a lot if customers are to be given a good service experience.

An update here. The 4G hasn’t helped to solve the ride stats issue. The ride from my home to the service centre and some other small ones around my home are not appearing in the app! :disappointed:

I’m having this problem since March 2020 and 16 months later, there still is no solution in sight! Below is what I’ve kept track of and the numbers are consistently inconsistent.

Creating tickets, sending it to IBC for investigations, parking in a different location with good connectivity, installing new firmware, upgrading to 4G…I’ve done it all now. The tickets are still open and teams are still working in the background. Not sure when a solution will come out. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Oo the mod does look good! Just for my knowledge, how much does this front shroud cost vs. getting it wrapped?

2 Likes

Ather = Boy, Take light heartedly

1 Like

Just the shroud costed 1.5k. A basic black wrap probably would probably cost half of that. But mine was already wrapped in PPF. So I took this option. I’ve a backup now if this black shroud cracks :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

After this unsatisfactory experience, @pradeep.kumar from the Ather team called me and regretted the bad experience I had. he spoke to me in length about the issue, the steps they are taking to improve etc. He informed that this is not the kind of service experience they want to provide. I thanked him for the call (I hadn’t expected that TBH) and told him that I’m seeing this visible decline in the experience is something they’ve to work upon. He assured me that the service experience will improve in the coming days.

A day after my ticket for this labour charge was raised, I got a call from one of the service personnel and he apologised for the error and he told that the entire bill amount would be refunded. I rejected that and insisted to refund only the labour charge part of it which I was entitled to and nothing more. He told he’ll check with his superiors and come back to me. couple of days later, I received an email asking for bank details. I provided that 2 days later, I received the amount in my bank account.

Two weekends ago, on Sunday, 8th of August, I got up early (for a change :smiley: ) and saw that the weather was wonderful. so took out m scooter for a short spin.

If there was a beauty pageant for scooters, 450 would’ve won it hands down!

Then my eyes fell on the dashboard. I had ridden 3.7kms from my home and was out in the open road where there is good network coverage and signal strength. But the dashboard says no network!

So I decided to reset the dashboard with Cntrl-Alt-Del (Left brake+right brake+power) the vehicle restarted and now I saw that the 4G signal strength was full. But apart from that another thing I saw shocked me - The ODO reading had gone back from 10105.6kms at 08:49 to 10101.9kms a minute later!!! The Current Ride of 3.7kms also was reset to 0km

I took some pictures so that I can report it later and continued on my ride. Later, I stopped for some pictures of the scooter. When I sat on the scooter, again I saw that network was nil. The Odo was 10110.2kms with Current Ride of 8.3kms (from 10101.9kms). So the 3.7kms was completely lost. I reset again.

This time I was more focused on the ODO than the 4G signal. After the restart, the 4G signal returned. But the ODO had gone back to 10108.8 and the Current Ride changed from 8.3kms to 6.9kms. So this was another 1.7kms lost in the cloud - literally!!!

I came back to my apartment, parked my scooter in a place with good network coverage and came home. Later in the evening I saw that there are no ride stats from the day…not even one! battery status was in sync but ride stats are not. So, I can safely say that 4G hasn’t helped in solving my sync issue. I was (and others at Ather also) hoping that 4G would solve it. If that was not enough, after the 4G upgrade, I have a new bug :slightly_frowning_face:

I really can’t understand how the Odo goes back! Irrespective of what network it has, how strong the network is, what subscription it has, the odo should not be affected! Anyway, like always, have raised a ticket and continuing to ride my scooter while the software engineers scratch their heads. This reminds me of my motorbike’s number plate design and a sticker that I had during my college days long ago

5 Likes

Roz ka naatak hai…! I am either too tired or getting used to these crap

1 Like

Wait… How are you getting that 4G symbol (the words 4G) on your dash? I know you upgraded the module. But I have never seen that on my 450X. Does the 450X run on 3G? I’m confused :confused:

1 Like

450 upgraded to gets this icon (a simple triangle)with 4G explicitly written beside it.

450x gets the below rather complex icon without 4G explicitly mentioned.

I am sure 450X dosent run on 3G. Jio has only 4G services.

In my 5 months of driving my scooter I have NEVER seen this icon! :joy::joy: Could this be the reason as to why my maps are so shoddy? @abhishek.balaji any clarity?

I thought Ather was using Vodafone as well.

The new network icon was part of the 10.1.6 beta update, in case you’re on it.

Ather uses Jio across all the states AFAIK.

3 Likes

Aaah. Makes sense. I’m not on it yet.

1 Like