Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

Hey folks,

A quick update on the 4G upgrade, we’ve started rolling out a beta patch update to fix the network issues for a few folks who have the 4G upgrade module already installed. This should fix the issue of intermittent network connectivity. Once we validate that the fixes have resolved the issue, we’ll roll it out to everyone who has the 4G module installed, and resume the installations again for the remaining 450 owners.

For those who have the 4G module installed already, if you dont see the update downloaded in a day or two, please reach out to the service team, to get the update manually installed.

3 Likes

Thanks, something positive to end the month…hope it remains so in October and upgradation is done for all by next month end.

I got the patch updated on my scooter yesterday. I don’t see any improvement in the network issue but the fans in the vehicle have gone crazy. Fans have become very loud and keep vibrating for good 2 - 3 seconds even after scooter stops.

2 Likes

I have received the patch , and tested it yesterday there is no more disconnection or lag in map loading it’s more smoothly loading when a destination is set

I second this. @abhishek.balaji Motor fans are going crazy after the update. They used to switch off at about 11kmph, but now they stop only after the vehicle comes to a complete halt.

The 4G network is a little better. But it loses network for about 5-10 minutes in the middle and then connects back. So, there is improvement. But not too much. Lost connectivity in the middle of my ride today and a few days back while riding. Restarted and it connected.

Update: There has been no improvement to the 4G network after the OTA. Vehicle lost network multiple times today. Not even a slight improvement as thought previously.

1 Like

I too thought it was a bug, until I read this line here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, didn’t see the OTA thread. Thanks for pointing it out!

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji When will I get the 4G Updation and how?

1 Like

i just called Ather helpline for scheduling the 1st service… i called prior to the festival weekend they said they were offering the 4g upgrade at an additional cost however they wanted a call back after the weekend… I called today and they said they are not doing the 4g upgrade awaiting for more details. however i can walkin for the service but 4g/3G upgrade cannot be done yet… Things change frequently what is said prior to the weekend does not remain true after the weekend.

2 Likes

This is by Mr. Abhishek Balaji. He shared this 20 days back. We need to wait.

3 Likes

Got this email yesterday. So 4G upgradation exercise has restarted

2 Likes

For each and everything, Ather charging us. Need to improve all

2 Likes

Because zero Vodafone network in my area, almost no smart feature usable since months.

Hope this time, it is installed quickly (sorry if it takes little more time, correctly) to everyone and 4G issue gets resolved.

Got a call yesterday and it’s scheduled for tomorrow. That was quicker than expected. I believe geo-cluster wise rollout is helping.

1 Like

Got call on Monday for scheduling the 4G upgrade for Wednesday. Technician came today and performed the change in module. Roughly took 10-15 mins. Dashboard shows 4G now but maps didn’t load in time. Thought of giving it a day and retrying. Will be testing tomorrow if there’s any improvement. Costed 2950 inclusive of tax.

2 Likes

Same happened with me. I did not want to post possibly one-off case to avoid panic with others. Below is my experience.

Monday morning, technician came on time. Very polite and nice guy. He took 45 minutes to install.

It took more time because the first dongle had some niggle in the rubber coupler, so he had to replace it with a new dongle. Then, dashboard display had loose connection and it took some time to fix it.

After OTA and dongle installation, full network came with 4G symbol. But, navigation & Internet never came even after multiple tries. Doubting on the signal strength, technician went out for a 2 km ride. It did not help. He asked me to check couple of times later in the day and report to CC if it did not work. Tried 2-3 times until evening. But, it did not work.

Called CC to report it. After couple of callbacks, I was offered to pickup and fix it in service center. Initial pickup slot was at least 1 week away. After some requests, was given a slot for Thursday to pickup.

Today, I got a callback again to check the connectivity. Checked it today again. Surprisingly, navigation worked (I tried 6 times and twice got “No internet”). But signal strength was full throughout.

Not sure what made it to work after 2 days.

Update: Navigation continues to work. During startup, 4G signal comes < 30 seconds. :slight_smile: So, vehicle pickup cancelled and was observed to monitor for few more days.

2 Likes

After a quick spin today, all is back to normal and maps load as before. Initially the map showed scooter location to be in some other location based on my previous ride. Took 5-6 minutes for the maps to update the location based on original location.

Used maps while returning back from errands and didn’t notice any difference as such. Took some detours intentionally. Felt like rerouting was a tad bit quicker from the time it says “rerouting” in dashboard compared to 3G module. Apart from that couldn’t notice any difference. I barely had any lag in 3G module. I’ve not faced any issue with dashboard lagging while using maps till now.

More of a necessity to upgrade as 3G will eventually phase out.

2 Likes

After a near year long wait for the upgrade to happen, the day finally arrived. Upgrade was scheduled for today and the technician came for installation at about 11:45am. I was away at office and I had left necessary instructions with my wife to interact with the technician. I reached home at about 6.30pm. I eagerly switched on the scooter to see “4G” displayed on the screen but was greeted by ZERO signal strength. I reset the dashboard but status remained the same. I checked with my wife whether she saw the 4G signal on the screen after installation and she she replied in positive. As it was drizzling I could not take the scooter for a ride for an attempt to catch up with the signal. As I observed on the screen the scooter had last synched 5 hours ago……that means the last sync was at about 1:30pm. If I am right, the service provider for 4G in the upgrade module is Jio. I checked for signal strength on my phone with Jio SIM. I found the signal to be present in the phone. Has anyone of us faced this situation after upgrade and what’s the solution? Thanks.

In continuation to the above post, I am adding the following update. I am forced to post a separate message since I find the earlier post to be locked and hence unable to edit. I dont know the reason for locking the post. Anyway posting my update as below.

I took my 450 for a ride today morning to try to hook on to the network. There was no trace of signal for the entire distance of 3.2km that lasted 10 minutes.

Thanks.

2 Likes

2 Likes