Tata Nexon EV

I recently test drove Nexon EV. I found the Sports mode to be very good, we were 4 adults in the vehicle. Drive mode adequate for city driving as well, was no way sluggish. Maybe there was some problem with the vehicle you test drove?

there are only 4 test vehicles in BLR ,It cant be a settings issue , or may be some settings that were restricted by dealer/sales guy not sure or may be im used to driving a better car .

1 Like

I am very surprised! I drive a 1.2L Petrol hatch, so in comparison this this is a rocket. I almost had a momentary panic reaction because I did not expect that motor to churn out so much torque so quickly - with 2 passengers inside.

Which one do you drive today? Very curious since your experience is at the opposite end of the spectrum :grinning:

3 Likes

I drive a 1.3 Swift VDI

1 Like

Well, it is definitely better than 1.3 Swift VDI. I had a friend with me for the test drive, he owns a Swift too. He was very happy with the way Nexon EV pulls in Sports mode.

Well its oneā€™s perception , all because of Ather , was expecting the same kind of acceleration but no it does not have that kind of acceleation what Ather has wrt to 2 wheeler. Was interested in buying the nexon EV after test drive ,it looks I need to wait few more yrs as it lacks range and power .

Cons: Power is ok ok in Sports mode nothing like the Rush you feel like when you ride Ather in sports mode, torque is inadequate, Drive mode is feels like an underpowerd vehicle for its size (like riding a okinawa or other low powered electric vehicle). Cannot take it for long drives more than 300 kms in single charge.

are you serious? you are comparing that torque and acceleration in S mode with Ather?? when i took the test drive, it went like a rocket from 20 to 80, and i have ridden the Ather and KTM Duke 390, so I know how the acceleration feels like. When folks are talking the Ather to Mysuru, Tirupathi etcā€¦ you think driving a car which has range 200 to 250 is not possible?

6 Likes

I test drove it today. And I was blown away. The torque is absolutely brilliant and not jerky. Very linear, and Iā€™ve tried the warp mode on the 450X and this feels much much faster. I wonder if your car had an issue or you werenā€™t using the pedals well enough. The drive and sport mode is night and day. Itā€™s like the diff between eco and warp in the 450X except that the drive is much better than the eco acceleration on our scooters.

I absolutely loved the car. Everything about it. Except the price. At 17 lakhs getting a 30kWh battery pack doesnā€™t seem worth it imo. At 23/24L you can get a 44kWh pack on the ZSEV or kona. Plus the Nexon was never meant to be an EV. Itā€™s a big car. And not the most aerodynamic too. Wanted to replace my 5 yr old duster with this Nexon. But

I think this is a good idea. Considering, Teslaā€™s entry into india in 2021-2022 and the highly expected mass market car from Tesla - the 20Lakh/ 25,000$ car maybe in 2023-24. Better to wait for it. What made me firm on this decision was also the fact that, the battery has got no buffer. It charges right up the whole 30.2kWh pack. Whereas our Ather with such a small battery pack(relatively) has a good buffer to preserve the health and Tata decided not to :confused: When I enquired about the battery warranty, I was expecting the 8 years/ 1.6L Km warranty to be given at a minimum 80% health or maybe even 70% is acceptable. But theyā€™re quoting 65% at the end of 8 years. That impedes a range of just under 100km after driving it for 8 yrs and the battery replacement is expected to be right around 5 Lakhs. I donā€™t think I can trust the battery tech on the nexon, just yet. Have to wait a few years to see how it ages. They can call it anything they want, ziptron, Megatron, optimus primeā€¦whateverā€¦

But waiting for a few years, isnā€™t a bad idea at all ( for now).

4 Likes

Ok this made me laugh! xD xD

No company in the world is giving 80% capacity guarantee for battery after 8 years. All companies are giving standard 70% guarantee after 8 years or 1.6 lakhs km. Nexon is off by 5%. But MG is giving only 5 years warranty on battery.

Electric 2-wheelers warranty is very bad IMO, whether itā€™s Ather or Chetak or iqube. Ather was giving even lower duration (2 years) initially. After govtā€™s mandatory 3 year warranty rule, Ather increased it for 450. 3 years is still very low. It should be 5 years minimum with 70% guarantee.

Also, donā€™t expect $25,000 car from Tesla in India by 2023/24. Not gonna happen. But you will get one from Hyundai/Kia for that price, as Hyundai already started working such models for the Indian market. You will also get cheaper models (Altroz, HBX) from Tata in next 1-2 years. Hopefully they update Nexon with bigger battery in future.

8 Likes

Why would you say so? They might be entering india with the Model3/Y very soon. And still got 3 yrs, the giga in china got announced and built and the first vehicles rolled out in under 2 years. Anything can happen

Kia also took less than 2 years from construction to rolling out their first car in India. Tesla actually took less than 1 year in China. But, itā€™s not about the construction time for the factory or production time. Itā€™s the target market.

Is the Indian market big enough to set up a factory for a carmaker like Tesla? Total luxury car sales per month in India are averaging between 2000 to 3000 cars per month. That includes sales from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volvo, JLR, Porsche, etcā€¦ all combined. For the last 2 years (well before the pandemic), the luxury market is actually showing negative growth. In comparison, BMW alone sells 50,000+ cars per month in China. Mercedes, Audi, etcā€¦ does similar numbers there. So, the luxury market in China is ~100 times bigger than India.

The best thing for Tesla and Indian customers is to set up a CKD assembly unit that needs small investment and provides a huge tax advantage as CKD (completely knocked down) cars taxed at 15%, compared to CBU (Completely Built Units) at 60-100%.

4 Likes

I have now done multiple trips on my Nexon EV now, Maximum I have gone without recharging is 230km, i had 10% left as well. Fast chargers are now appearing on the highways, in Karnataka, we have FC appearing in Mysuru, Mangaluru, One after Yediyuru, and another at Davanagere. There are two in pipeline which I know of, one at Tumakuru, and another at Sakleshpura. Once we have these populated, there would be no range anxiety, and you can go on trips with ease and less load on the pocket.

11 Likes

where to find these fast charging points for ev nexon?is there a map like how ather has?

2 Likes

They have their own app, Tata Power.

2 Likes

thereā€™s a bunch of apps for this, unfortunately.

1. Tata Power EZ Charge
  2. Electreefi (BESCOM, EESL and other govt. agencies)
  3. Zeon Charging (TN)
  4. Relux Charging (TN)
  5. ChargeMOD (KSEB in KL)

Direct comparison between ICE car sales to EV sales is not the right way of lookimg at it. People know that EVs come at a premium. People are buying the Nexon EV instead of the ICE Nexon even thought itā€™s almost double the price. A $25,000 car would be under 20Lakhs in india. Presently the Indian market is more towards the 10Lakh mark if not lower. But at 18-20Lakhs I still think A LOT of people will go for it. Especially cuz itā€™s a Tesla. I only hope that Tesla will have at least 300Km of real world range

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a good idea for either. In the long run. CKD will make it inaccessible to the average buyer. And only the premium buyers will buy it who anyway can afford to pay for a CBU. And thatā€™s why Tesla will go with the CBU now and jump directly to local manufacturing when the time is right. Once theyā€™ve made enough profits.

Is it worth shelling out the extra bucks for a 4 wheeler EV right now? My usage would be max 500 km per month (probably even lower than that). I honestly feel 4 wheeler EVs are still very highly priced at this point. I want to buy a new 4 wheeler, definitely want to go electric but it doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s any monetary upside at the moment. Any advice?

1 Like

I had the same thought a year ago. 4 wheelers are in 2 categories now. The 15lakh and 22lakh - but both come with their own pros and cons.

The 15lakh EV doesnā€™t meet itā€™s quoted range and isnā€™t suitable for those expecting to drive long distances (~300km+) while the 22lakh category provides the range, the interiors feel to cramped for longer distances.

For 500km monthly mileage, the current crop of EVs donā€™t offer any value.

4 Likes

I agree. I too want to go completely electric as 1 car is close to its end due to 15 year policy and other touching 7. But i will wait for a couple of years before I invest in an EV 4 wheeler. Competition is going to be high and I am assuming cars will become cheaper in the EV segment. Even though I liked the Nexon EV alot and almost bought it before buying Ather.

2 Likes