Tata Nexon EV

Anyone here test drove the Nexon EV that was released recently in Bangalore 25-26th JAN , if yes ,your opinion and feedback on the same.

Launch of Nexon EV is at 1200, hopefully by that time Ather would have wound up its presentation. I can’t concentrate on both launches at the same time :slight_smile:

Nexon launched at 14 lakhs omgggggg

1 Like

Top variant XZ+LUX @ 16… :open_mouth:

1 Like

after the horrid announcement of pricing of Ather, the nexon EV was a total 180 deg turn around, was astonished by it, Way to go Tata.

2 Likes

Took a test drive of Nexon EV on 8th Feb.

First impression - Quite impressive looks wise and the exteriors looks fab.

From the inside - Pretty comfortable and the seats are good, especially the driver’s seat was pretty comfy and felt just right. Spacious from the inside and a premium feel on the dashboard. Even the rear seats are quite comfortable and spacious as well.

The Drive - I felt the initial torque which EV gives was missing. Maybe this was because I was driving in drive mode or maybe I did not give the accelerator a hard push… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But then later it was pretty quick to easily reach 80+ on a fairly empty stretch. Overall drive quality was great.

Here i believe that Ather has spoilt me. Maybe I was expecting an Ather like push we get when we start in sports mode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I could not try sports mode as the battery was low, and the switch to sports mode was not allowed (SOC below 30% it does not allow to switch to sports mode. 20% and below the AC’s switches off, i hope 10% or 5% below it won’t say that the tires are gonna come off, and you have to push and drag the vehicle… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

The drive felt pretty smooth, and the turning was also smooth and pretty comfortable, in fact during taking u-turn i felt it takes lesser road and effort, which any other vehicle of this size would take.

One thing to note here was, it is a true single foot drive vehicle. That means usually in city/traffic conditions you would hardly need to switch your legs to the brake, as the regen kicks in the moment you take off the foot from the accelerator, and i must say its quite good amount of regen that kicks in, pretty substantial. So much that you cannot coast at all (Even on Inclines) :smiley:. I checked with their technician if we have an option to control the amount of regen, he told that its fixed and you cannot change it. So for the single foot drive, it is something that it will take the users sometime to adjust to, even for an Automatic Car driver, where there is only foot involved b/w break and accelerator. As even i drive an automatic and i felt it was something that will take some time to get adjusted to, in case i decide to purchase.

I can say it can give a good 250-270 Kms range in a True range sense (Ather way :stuck_out_tongue: )

However the sales person was trying to upsell and was requesting me to book the vehicle saying that the Subsidies from government might stop from April, and prices might increase from April 2020, To which later i found out that there is already no subsidy for Personal 4W EV, so it was just a sales gimmick to upsell, and i absolutely do not believe that TATA will increase their prices just after 2-3 months of the launch.

Overall i would say its a great EV at the price which tata is offering, and the with reputation of Nexon’s chasis, a very good sized family car.

P.S. I am yet to drive this car in sports mode, will post my views on Sports mode post that.

8 Likes

Hey, we shouldn’t be surprised if TATA increases it’s price because they’ve said that the price declared is introductory price only. Even in autocar show, someone from TATA said that there would be a price increase but not in the next 6 months atleast.

I went through company lease policy for this car as it worked really cheap, lesser than ex-showroom price over 3 years. Expected delivery is in March though, looks like they have quite lot of bookings already.

I dont see any details on the lease policy for Nexon EV on their website, can you please share where did you get the lease details. I am actually curious and want to know what’s their lease policy.

There is no lease option for Nexon EV offered by Tata. @darthveda has purchased the Nexon EV through his company lease policy

1 Like

I went through my company’s lease provider “LeasePlan”. They had the better plan than ALD. these providers are kinda unaware of EV and the GST. They had put 28% GST on the ex-showroom price and calculated the base price. I had to inform that it is 5% and not 28%.

3 Likes

IT BLEW MY MIND!

The Dealer: The closest Tata Dealer to my place is Adishakti Motors on the Nagavara ORR section, adjacent to Courtyard By Marriot. I’ve dealt with this group in the past while looking for a Tigor and i wasn’t impressed with their sales team - So went in not expecting much.

I called them in the morning to check if they had a Test Vehicle and the guy on the other end confirmed they do have one for which i did not need to do any reservation. I drove to the place in the 450 at around 2pm and to my dismay found they had absolutely no parking spots available - even for a 2 wheeler!. I drove up ahead and parked at the Nexa showroom, lo behold, there was another 450 there!.

I walked in and saw 3 of their staff staring at me, not one of them walked up to me and asked how they could help me. The receptionist asks me to wait for 15 mins as the TD vehicle was at Manyata. I walked around and looked at the Tiago JTP and the new Altroz, which looked pretty cool from the front but i doubt my 6"2’ frame would fit in the back seat without hitting the roof liner. After 20 mins i asked the receptionist again and was told it would take another 30 mins. Now i was pissed, so told her to just call me back whenever its available and left the place.

After about an hour, i get a call that the TD vehicle is on the way and they wanted directions to my house. They showed up after a few minutes and the first thing i asked the driver to do was to try parking it inside my house. There is a giant coconut tree next to my gate that makes manoeuvring the car in & out very tedious. If that car couldn’t fit in my driveway, there is no point buying it. The TD Driver managed to put it in and i was happy that a potential parking issue was resolved.

A female sales associate accompanied the TD Driver, this was a surprise to me as i’ve never seen a female sales associate in a car dealership (not that i have anything against them!). I wonder if this was to put in a friendly face to potential female customers. She looked at the 450 parked inside and quickly recognised that it was an Ather. She had questions on how long i’ve had it and if i took the “Subscription plan” - Guess the 450x has indeed received sufficient exposure.

The Drive: On to the test drive, i started driving in the Drive mode and my left foot was super itchy. It would subconsciously lift itself thinking about the clutch and my left hand was search for the gear lever! :man_facepalming:. After a few minutes my left foot understood its useless and stopped overreacting but my right foot still had some trouble with the regen. This vehicle was a 1 Pedal drive, take your foot off and regen engages instantly - right until the vehicle comes to a full stop. If you time it correctly in traffic, you’d never have to use the brake pedal. And i loved this!.

Took it straight to the ring road as this is only place i could test the torque properly. While i was merging into the ORR at Horamavu i changed the driving mode to “Sport” on the fly. I hit the pedal as soon as i merged safely and that is when it BLEW MY MIND!. Tyres screeched, and the car literally took off, if it had a pair of wings it might have glided for a few seconds!. There is a slight lag (ala a turbo lag) but that motor churns out enough torque to demolish any other ICE car in the same category. Any hesitation i had about the vehicle was put to rest with that.

Missing Items:

• No Cruise Control. Why Tata?. Why?
  • Regen settings are fixed

The Price: The sales associate wasn’t very pushy, unlike what @ashish.nba had experienced. She answered all questions that i had, but the more technical ones like what battery cells are being used, motor voltage rating etc, she deferred to the Tech Service team who will call me back on monday with responses. i guess she figured that i know enough about EV’s and any attempt at bull shitting would hit a giant wall. She only mentioned that i should book it soon if i was interested since the wait time is around 3 months for the mid-variants. The top variant has not been scheduled for delivery yet and that would be announced in March.

The current ex-showroom price is “Introductory” - expect an upward correction sometime in the future. Here is a copy of the pricing structure for all 3 variants and the feature list. There is a heading in the pricing list called “TCS”, which she could’nt explain what that was for. Its roughly 1% of the Ex-showroom price - Sizeable amount, so i would like to know what that is for.

Now, she did mention a “Subscription / Lease plan”. At a high level it’s the same as any lease plan - pay an upfront deposit and the rest as a monthly lease amount. However, there is an interesting feature in the lease. In her words, if i wanted to go on a long drive i could return the EV and take a diesel Nexon for that duration. Could it be Tata’s way of saying - “Hey, Dont worry about range anxiety on the highway, just take the diesel when you want to” ?. The lease plan will be announced after the 1st of March as they waiting for Govt clearance (?).

And here is the comparison chart for the feature in each variant. I am happy that safety features are standard across all 3 variants.

Personally, at this price point, that car is VFM and has me intensely thinking if i should be the bakra/guinea pig for Tata Motors.

6 Likes

Only one q @raghav.srinivasan , is the booking amount refundable given the long wait period?

the TCS is tax collected at source, it is 1% of your total amount paid, you can claim this as Advance tax paid in your IT returns and adjust it for tax paid. This is done to prevent black money from being used to buy expensive items. I agree with you on Cruise Control and lack of regen control, best way to drive on highway is to attain speed and coast for a while, I can’t do with out the regen kicking and effectively braking. This was dumb of Tata not to think and given that they drove and tested it on all types of highways. I am waiting for delivery in another month or so, The acceleration from 20 to 80 blew my mind when i tested in on ORR. I had driven the kona before but that was in bellanduru, and with that traffic there was no chance of me going beyond 40.

2 Likes

The TATA Motors twitter handle said that the booking amount was completely refundable. ( can’t locate that tweet now). However the price list talks about a Rs 2000 cancellation charge. Will get this clarified when I go back to the dealer next week.

Thanks for the review @raghav.srinivasan. i know it’s a short test drive but could you tell us what were the range numbers like?

That would be interesting indeed. If Tata actually does introduce this, more people will buy the Nexon EV IMO.

In addition, TCS for cars is only levied for cars having ex-showroom price in excess of ₹10,00,000

1 Like

The sales associate was honest enough to admit the true range is 240-260kms in the city and maybe 220 in the highway.

What I liked though was the visual feedback of regen engaging in the MID. During my TD (AC on) the average efficiency displayed was 118wh/km in Drive mode and 150wh/km in Sports mode. This roughly translates into 250 & 200 kms of range in the respective modes.

nexonev.tatamotors.com

1 Like

The invoice what you have is slightly over priced. I got one from Prerana, which is 10k cheaper. Here are the different items: Insurance: 63878 v 70739 Registration: 2612 v 5612 Handling charges: 10400 v 9500 Accessories: 15599 v 16999’

That is a difference of 10300 rupees. Just go for Prerana motors.

2 Likes

Yesterday took test drive of nexon EV, Here are my observations and opinions.

Pros: Its a good VFM product . Design is good Its super silent while driving. Ride comfort is good. Not much of body roll.

Cons: Power is ok ok in Sports mode nothing like the Rush you feel like when you ride Ather in sports mode, torque is inadequate, Drive mode is feels like an underpowerd vehicle for its size (like riding a okinawa or other low powered electric vehicle). Cannot take it for long drives more than 300 kms in single charge. Its just a city car cannot risk taking on highways for long drives due to limited range and lack of charging infrastructure.

Overall :slight_smile: Lot of work needs to be done wrt to torque , driving range offered . Pickup is inadequate (we went with 2 Kids and 3 adults ) You have to literally stamp the accelerator pedal for it to move ahead even in sports mode. Those looking to replace a petrol or diesel vehicle , its still not there yet

A good start from TATA motors .