Smart Charging

Update. The wipro app automation doesn’t work very well🤦 It’s very unreliable. It worked a few times but then it stops working. Can’t rely on it.
The timer is more reliable. Scheduling charging is the only way I suppose

7 Likes

Meanwhile, for folks who has their Ather parking/Charging space not in Wifi-reachable area and smart plug cannot be used, it can really be a tough situation to maintain their battery health. I am also in the same situation, where my parking/charging is in the basement and has no access to Wifi.

However, after some research, found out a manual auto cut-off switch, which can be programmed manually when to turn on and turn off. I have been using it for almost a month now, and have found quite reliable. It can be programmed for every day of the week, and has 10 different program options as well. Product link below:

Due to WFH, and no regular routine usage, i have been using it as and when the need arises, after parking if the SOC has dropped below 40/50, i put it on charge for approximately an hour. With some observation i am sure each one of us can figure out the approximate time required to charge for a required level.
Of course for a regular traveler, it can also be of help who needs overnight charging, but also want to maintain their battery health and keep the max charging around 80% on a regular basis hence uplifting their battery health.

Thought of sharing this so that this can be of help for folks who cannot have Smart Charging for their smart scooter. :wink:

18 Likes

Such workarounds are fine for some time but over time this is not acceptable. Ather should allow us to remotely stop/start charging and also allow us to set the charging limit via the app. Its an EV after all, these features are the basic necessities.

8 Likes

The inability to stop and start charge via the app is frustrating now. :rage:… Additionally, the lack of a slider to select how much to charge is equally frustrating. Whats the point of EV then? Isn’t it supposed to be smart after all?

6 Likes

Exactly. Phones like ASUS itself have limiters.
If wipro can do it by measuring the current/Power, I don’t understand why Ather doesn’t allow us set a charge limit. Or the option to end charging, unlock charger through the app. They don’t have a energy efficiency graph like even the Nexon has. All these are the real Smart Features navigation, even Ntorq has turn by turn. Bluetooth, even some 1 lakh Chinese EVs have. Something Ather should be really working on. I wouldn’t mind having a non touchscreen and just have a black and white digital display with the real Smart features, instead of spending months working on the dash stability :person_facepalming:. In 2 years. I’ve only gotten a dark mode(useful), eco mode, which is unusable, full charged notification which I can estimate with experience anyway, so I still have to walk up to it to switch it off. Can’t think of any other OTA which realy made a difference.

7 Likes

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. Looks like Ather is so comfortable with its one eye that it decides the second eye is unnecessary, and is trying to push that philospohy on its customers.

If you need a smart switch to help keep your system healthy, then your system itself is quite dumb.

5 Likes

Exactly… It feels really dumb to not to have the smart charging feature. I mean, how difficult it can be to implement? It is a basic essential feature of any EV.

5 Likes

It totally depends on hardware. Most smartphones can be rooted and made to implement smart charging with hacky apps. But not even crazy priced laptops should necessarily be having this feature implemented or be hacked with, just because hardware support is not implemented.

2 Likes

Am not sure what you are trying to imply here? Are you saying Ather should not enable this feature because there is some implication on the hardware? Weird…! Majority of the EVs have this. I don’t understand why Ather can’t do this. It seems a priority thing for me. Bluetooth and Music is thier priority now besides mass production. Peace :v:

5 Likes

I tried hunting for this subject on the forum there wasn’t a post hence… What is the best level of charging one should use regularly 80% or 100%? I’m using a DOT home charger? Thanks

1 Like

Charge when ur battery is 20% and charge upto 80%… This is the best for battery health

3 Likes

It’s personalised to you sir, what’s your daily usage and how many times a week are you willing to charge your scooter? Daily?
And you’re an Ather owner in Goa already?? How did that happen?

5 Likes

Thanks for your valuable input! So I got my Ather from another State :grinning: mine is basically for recreational use and don’t use it more that 20kms a day if that, and so I’m quite capable of using the band between 50 and 80 as suggested by you on most occasions anyway! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Which state do you reside in?

1 Like

What is the app u are using for automatic charge cut off?

Don’t know who this referring to but. I use tuyasmart App. I used to use wipros app.

3 Likes

Anyone who’s figured out how to use a smart plug that works with Homekit? Not talking about iOS app support alone, which Wipro and a few others offer.

There’s an option for some of these devices to be made compatible using https://www.home-assistant.io or home bridge, but can’t find too many models around.

I thought wipro could work with openhab and some firmware tweaks. So possibly if the same firmware was supported in home-assistant we got lucky!

Meanwhile, oha has a bigger community so, it could help reading through and running it in HA.IO.
(I :heart: :snake: than :coffee: )

2 Likes

I’m also trying to figure out to pair my Wipro Smart Plug with Homekit. It will be very convenient if I can control the plug from my Apple Watch

Hmm, trying to avoid firmware tweaks, preferably something that works out of the box.

In general, Homekit accessories are rare to come by in India. But I see this company is doing something around native support for HomeKit: https://www.wozart.com/smart-plug

Maybe if enough people are interested, we can request for a private beta of sorts.

3 Likes