Riding in the rains

I wanted to see how stable Ather was during rain. Other day when I started from office, it started to rain heavily, now I decided to test. Turned on sports mode and off I went. I m really impressed with the vehicle, now I came to know what they mean by balanced bike.
I drive KTM duke 390. I must say Ather is better in stability and you can maneuver vehicle beautifully. I m impressed.

Things to be considered I have around 2L km ride experience and was wearing full gear and full face helmet. I was using both the brakes.

What’s priceless?
look on other 2 wheel riders face when I zip passed them.

24 Likes

I was also tentative to use the 450 in monsoon. I used to think like an activa owner. But now that monsoon is almost over and i have driven ~1000 km in wet conditions, potholes and mud I am glad that the vehicle has beaten all conditions without a single shaky moment!! This is commendable.

7 Likes

True that!!

4 Likes

In emergency braking while it is raining,
The tyres don’t provide support and since the brakes are so good, the rear locks up…

Ather must provide better tyres.

4 Likes

I feel the brakes are overpowered. And tyres are not so good. It’s like 16 GB ram for an i3 processor.

10 Likes

I’ve noticed this one thing.
I’m not sure if there is combined breaking. But I sure felt it. I obviously use mostly the rear break in the rain and it’s easier to control the scooter if the rear locks up but my front locked up too on hard breaking. Thankfully I was at single digit speeds and nothing happened.

3 Likes

ABS would have been really helpful.

4 Likes

I had my tyres changed to CEAT ones and definitely seems more grippy than the MRF ones. Also, turns out that most petrol pumps do not have well calibrated tyre inflators so your air pressure might be way higher than usual. I was shocked to find my front tyre inflated to around 36, the reason for some wobbling.

I set it at 28F and 28R and it went back to being grippy.

8 Likes

Hey Ayan, what was that other brand of tyres people were switching to? I’m thinking of switching to that when the current tyres wear out.

Edit: Abhishek mentions CEAT is good. Anyone else has had any experience with other tyres?

2 Likes

This thread has a few more suggestions:

3 Likes

I have changed stock tyres to Michelin. It’s no so grippy by better than MRF.

2 Likes

The only time I use the ride mode is when it rains. I had a bad accident many years ago on a wet road in Chennai and since then have been a cautious rider when it rains. Even if the roads are empty i stick to a 35kmph speed limit.

8 Likes

Self control…110/100

2 Likes

Most of the recommendations here were for the Michelin City Pro 90/90-12 tyre.

Cost is about 1200 per piece

3 Likes

Exactly this is what I upgraded to

1 Like

How is the performance now!
Any reduction in range?

No, as I kept the size same 90/90. As I said it’s not very grippy, but better than stock.

4 Likes

Day before yesterday when it rained I rode back from. Office. Lockdown period hence no vehicles but rain started heavily. With the gush of wind and rain drenching the sound of vehicle changed and found the the sound is as if the vehicle is struggling to accelerate but the vehicle was moving in the desired speed… In ride mode only. After which I do have a doubt that the pick up in ride mode is not as before. I didn’t try sport Mode. Even yesterday sound is little strange than the normal. Motor switch takes time to disengage too.
Booked the complaint. Acknowledgement received.

2 Likes

This sound could be your belt drive. It tends to make an off sound when wet. It should decrease after a bit of riding.

3 Likes

Tats water on drive belt. Changes sound. And reduced grip makes you feel vehicle pick up has reduced.

2 Likes