Range of the Ather 450

ohh wow, how are you getting these efficiency figures. Mine on average is 35-40 even if I ride carefully. Are you travelling on a straight road, declined road everyday ?

Is the predicted range 100% reliable provided we drive the same way as we did before? How do they calculate it?

1 Like

Nothing is 100% reliable. The predicted range is still going to just be a prediction. The predicted range for a trip is calculated by the efficiency for that trip. It’s basically 2400 divided by the efficiency.
You will get the predicted range if you ride at that efficiency.
I usually look at my efficiency figures more than my predicted range.
Keep it under 40Wh/Km and you’ll be good to do a 60-65 km ride. And maintaining 40Wh/Km is really easy trust me.
You’ll get the hang of your ather after a little use. It’s unlike other ICE scooters whose fuel consumptions are already so high that aggressive accelerations won’t really affect the mileage. But in EVs since the consumption itself is so low to start with. And small changes will reflect a lot on your efficiency.

1 Like

Mine never came below 40Wh/Km for the first 45 days of owning my Ather. Once you learn to ride it like an EV you can improve your efficiency. I don’t ride on flat terrain. I actually live in mahalakshmilayout. Really bad terrain. Just inclines everywhere.

3 Likes

I read somewhere on the forum that the speedometer does not provide the exact speed. It is 10% higher than actual speed. Since speed is used to calculate distance too, does it mean that the ODO and range is also on higher side?
Actual distance traveled and range prediction also could be 10% lower than actual.

ohh, thats great. Does that mean you accelerate really slow from stop still ? until you reach a certain speed ?

I don’t on a regular basis. I accelerate with the traffic. I don’t twist the throttle completely.
The statistics i posted above are a one off. I wanted to push the scooter to give me better efficiency.
After a few days of tryings and learning. I was able to achieve what I think is the highest efficiency I can get with my weight and my daily commute route

I usually get efficiencys of 36-38. And that’s a more practical goal.
You should ask @rajeshkav for tips to getten better efficiency. He gets under 25Wh/Km on a regular basis.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is true. ODO is correct for sure. Unless Google is wrong too :stuck_out_tongue: About the speed error. I remember riding with a CBR250R beside me and we seemed to have almost the same EXACT speed. Either the CBR also has an error or idk.

In one sentence: Use inertia to your advantage as much as possible. Like riding a bicycle, accelerate just enough to coast freely.

What @Suraj_madhu says is right. Most people accelerate too much and brake hard with traffic in front. Just go with the speed of traffic.

2 Likes

Understood. I am trying to get a hold on my riding style. Often observed that whenever I go more than 14-15 Kms efficiency is pretty good. Will try to accelerate just enough and see if there is any improvement.
Thank you

yes, did try to use inertia for some time. But, when someone tries to overtake and honk at me, I just zoom for some time to show that this scooter can also go fast :joy: and again try to adjust my riding. I think, I first need to unlearn and let people overtake :sweat_smile: and not care

3 Likes

I reserve my aggressive accelerations for just this. People look at it and go “current current gaadi” and to remove the bad notion of EVs that they have I do overtake them. It won’t really affect your riding so much. Also check your tire pressure regularly. And coast to a stop at a signal. (after Regening down to 20kmph if you wish to)
When j ride pillion on ICE scooters I realise how much my riding has changed.

2 Likes

Haha, yaa the current gaadi thing.
Yes, keeping the tyre pressure in check. Going to a station hasn’t been reduced. I am going to a gas station more often than before. In a week pressure reduces at least 8psi rear and 5psi front. Also tried to raise a request, but they turned it down saying it might be a puncture which I am sure isn’t the case. Will also get it checked once.
Thanks for the tips Suraj. Will surely update my observations

2 Likes

Since we’re all discussing range, here are some of our owners from Chennai sharing their experiences:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mileage Archives

I am just getting 58-60km in sport mode
And 60-65 in ride mode
And 65-70 in eco mode

In the city with stop and go traffic. That’s all you can get. Cruising will definitely get you 70/80+ range easily.

I haven’t tried long continuous ride to find out milage. Based on the dashboard nos. on sport mode i consume 20% for 13.6kms during morning office traffic and same in the evening. To sum up, it’s daily avg 40% consumption for 27kms. Next day without charging, i am not sure to complete the above cycle though.

Started a day with 95% SoC. Reached office which is 13.6km consuming 20%. Evening while returning home, the SoC was 74%. After reaching home (ride distance almost same) SoC shown was 57%.

Didn’t put the vehicle for charging. Next day morning, it SoC was 54%.
After riding less than 2kms, SoC was dropped to 50%.
Reached office covering the distance of 13.6km. SoC was 31%.: consumptionmore than 20%.
Evening while returning, SoC was 26%.
Reached home covering 13.6km. SoC was 12%.: Consumption more than 20% even with careful driving.

2 Likes

We need to work really hard on our battery technology.
me working on developing better batteries
Lithium tech should be improved or replaced.

2 Likes