Range of the Ather 450

in Ride mode 60-65

2 Likes

It should be possible. I drive 55 km per day only in Sports Mode. Sometimes I pick up people through Quick Ride too. I still have above 35% remaining at the end of the day. Above 40% if I drive singles. And I drive as fast as the traffic allows me to. So, range shouldn’t be a worry.

3 Likes

I’m pretty curious how much you travel in a day.

I travel about 50-55 km per day

1 Like

Around 60 to 65 Kms / day on weekday,
and 100 to 130 Kms / day on weenends.

2 Likes

Thats surprisingly high numbers both @bhuvanesh0311 & @frozenprakash, as far as my interactions with Ather team goes, the average milage of athers in a day is less than 20 kms.

I too travel more than 50 kms/day and range anxiety has not been a major issue till date. In case where I have to travel more than 65 kms/day I plan ahead on charging in-between and such occasions are one off.

But the current milage of Ather 450 is sufficient for daily city travel as far as my experience goes. I’m sure Ather is not building vehicles for outliers like us.

2 Likes

Exactly, I plan my travel like that too while going >60 Km to charge in between in the Ather grids.

This is the exact reason i love to have an extended range with 5 Kwh battery pack (Presently it’s ~ 3 kWh), User should be given option to choose the Battery pack and price them accordingly, so most of the user would be ready to go with the bigger battery even for the extra price.

3 Likes

Nothing to be surprised as you yourself said that you travel >50 Kms / day :stuck_out_tongue:

And about that, people travel less on Ather because of range anxiety and it’s not the other way around that people travel very less like 20 Kms a day.

Not really, we are indeed outliers, based on the data from the number of rides/ kms driven as spoken to ppl from Ather. Ather has also made it quite clear that larger battery pack is not even being pursued at present atleast not for Ather 450. But, more energy dense battery for the same vehicle is always going to be welcome.

1 Like

It’s not like people go half way to office on Ather and then take an auto from there :slight_smile:

Many Ather owners I know travel less than 20 kms. It may be true that people who travel more are afraid to buy an electric due to take anxiety.

1 Like

I don’t think Ather would be changing the battery chemistry, as the performance will be kept at present pace.

If at all i would say Ather might change from present 1865 (18650) to 2170 cells, which might obviously increase the battery density, which possibly might increase 10 to 20% of the Energy (kWh) for the same volume.

Also i don’t think @Ather.Team mentioning their battery chemistry anywhere in paper, like the content of Co, Al, Ni, Mn, Si etc…

And obviously, they will be using the popular 3rd party battery manufacturers like Panasonic, LG or Samsung.

1 Like

It’s not, but, i only use it strictly for my home - office - home, around 55 to 60 kms to and fro.

So i cut down all other places even if i have to, because i wont reach home, even if i plan with charging between grids it’ll take at least a hour and there are only little grids that too occupied now,
and they are not always near the places i want to visit or plan.

1 Like

I’ve gone through this exact phase, as you use the vehicle more and more, the range anxiety will come down and you will be visiting the places apart from the home-office-home routine soon. As i said earlier, a little bit of planning and changing driving habits a bit to extract the best mileage will come with experience driving the 450! The range won’t limit your activity.

2 Likes

The range you mentioned is in which mode? I read that it automatically goes to eco when it’s less than 15%. In ride mode they have mentioned 55. Is it like if I go in ride mode for the entire 55 KMS and when battery goes to less than 15% in the last say 5 KMS, it will switch to eco mode?

Can we have a small poll on the average distance traveled, since we have a sizeable number of forum users, so we can get a fair picture of how much the Ather community travels?

• Average distance travelled 0-10
  • 10-20
  • 20-30
  • 30-40
  • 40-50
  • above 50

0 voters

Hi, it’s not average mileage, it’s average distance travelled.

Any mode you’re in, at 16-17% SoC the scooter goes into Eco mode with 10Km range left. So in eco, ride, or sport. Out of the 75,65,55. The last 10km are always in Eco mode as of December 2019.

1 Like

That’s not good :frowning: I travel 50 KMS daily and suppose I want ride fully in ride mode, I can’t. Right?

Of course you can. You’ll have to control your urge to twist the throttle to feel the full torque though.
Even that you might not have to give up on actually.
For reference.

These statistics are with a pillion and total payload of 150kilos and I’m getting over 55km of range and this is me riding pretty fast. I wasn’t limiting myself.
So if you really need to. Solo you can push the range to this –
These statistics are solo riding with 90kg payload and no aggressive acceleration. I didn’t limit my top speed though.
So it’s quite possible to do your 50 Km commute. With ease.

50kms a day with pillion on sports mode is quite easy, at the end of the day you will still be left with more than 20% charge. I’ve been doing it for more than 4000kms and close to 6 months. You can confidently take out the vehicle for close to 65 kms ride if you are a smooth/sedated rider.

3 Likes