Possible theft from boot

I’ve tagged Abhishek Balaji, the community modulator. They’re not just bothered to respond.

Only if Ather owners collectively file a case, there will be some hope.

Thanks to Ather, at least they provided this forum to share our experiences.

3 Likes

@nithin.ess @rahulsingla5000 @rohanrkt.tonpe4 @Devi @user88

Hope you are all fine

I feel upset myself because of the massive restriction faced to get basic information when I text the showroom or the insurance company.

And then I found this - the boot being compromised.

As this forum has existed for years the best outcome would be to get the Ather Board to correct this design flaw and provide the necessary new boot / seat

It is also an insurance matter and the names and numbers of management (insurance) should be made available. Restricting names and numbers is nothing short of arrogance and should not be accepted.

If everyone pretends this is not happening to them and do not present this collectively to the Ather Board then everyone loses even if it hasn’t happened to them.

Money is hard earned as is trust.

I’m sure if senior people here present it to the Ather Board asap this will be resolved.

ps if you are collecting signatures to present to Ather Board please count me in. I will sign. It is a sad state of affairs if this has to be represented at a consumer forum / change.org

5 Likes

@sreenivas.karanam this is unfortunate particularly when we all have families. These issues impact us when we go home after work as most of us are ordinary people as opposed to being billionaires.

If we adopt the culture of Sir Ratan Tata then all such issues would be resolved and we can best place our efforts as Ather owners in our respective communities and make Ather world famous.

If you are collecting signatures to present to Sir Tarun please count me in. Please note I am a very ordinary individual. And I bear no connections. The only aim is our collective efforts which should have a positive outcome :raised_hands:

No Ather owner should face this.

We should beat all other EVs not just at being the best externally but also internally ie how Ather owners are treated when a flaw is pointed out.

4 Likes

The underseat storage of a scooter is in general for temporary items and maybe not valuable items to be left behind. The issue of stealing items in the way shown in the video, can be replicated on most scooters with enough force. There are plenty videos on the internet which offer “hacks” how to open a scooter boot without keys even, doesn’t mean that companies will make the boot “keyless” suddenly.

The new seat does come with plastic components which make it a bit more sturdy and difficult to bend. All said, the scooter isn’t a place to leave valuable items, just like how we don’t leave valuables in the cars, in case someone decides to break ones your windows and steal items. Be careful of your valuables. Don’t store them in the boot.

5 Likes

@abhishek.balaji you have been tagged multiple times however you have failed to respond. I have also tried contacting the social media team again they wont reply either.

Hello everyone

There is a government portal called Vehicle Recall Portal. Everyone should file a complaint there and Consumer Helpline Gov also.

Using that portal customer can file a complaint about manufacturing defects in vehicle which could be software or faulty part.

In this case the faulty part is boot of the vehicle.

Request everyone to file complaints and share the complaint numbers and contact details to work as a team now.

4 Likes

You need 100 complaints to get a recall, right🤔

1 Like

That’s a great idea to bring this to attention as a customer, insisting them to take a look will not help! As the team has still not given any update yet.

No there is no criteria defined. Your complaint need to be genuine and vehicle age should be less than 7 years.

I have emailed them today with the video as evidence. Request you to raise a complaint citing the same issue. It’s a manufacturing defect and should not be ignored by Ather. We want either repair or replacement so that our belonging kept in boot be safe.

1 Like

Yes, raise a complain. I have don’t my part.

other scooter require atleast some force. with Ather seats even 5 yo kids can break the seat and remove the valuables inside the boot.

just because you guys have made a failed product doesnt mean it gives you the right to blame all companies. you cannot break open the car window in crowded area but with Ather you can break the seat and run away

funny how @abhishek.balaji has still not responded.

When ola detected front fork failure they are replacing it for free. However Ather has provided no update whatsoever on seat theft issue. @abhishek.balaji still wont respond @dolancdd

7 Likes

as an old saying there is no lock for a thief, But, even though Ather announced giving free seats to all the community day attendees, I never received a call to update my seat. Looks like gen 1.5 owners are left behind.

Coming to your post, The video which went viral for seat theft looks like from the new gen 2 and later, I remember my seat, in which once I forgot the key and locked it, after fighting it for 30 mins it won’t even bulge, and finally I had to open the front cover to get access to the cable and open the seat.

The new vendors which supply as their (Ather) requirements are either going lower on their quality part or the OEM it’s is requesting the cost cuttings.

4 Likes

@abhijith2831 I had already raised this issue on mail and had it escalated all the way till tarun, their response was plain and simple, if there has been a theft and want more secure seat buy the new one at 3200 + GST, after sales and customer service is one of the lowest at Ather.

Maybe we need a separate thread on how worse Ather’s support is. Other day I raised an issue for the map orientation issue and they closed the ticket in like 4 hours stating that I have not responded to their questions. Wouldn’t they normally have to give at-least 24 hours to respond?

Btw, this was not my first bad experience with support. And by looking at the forum, looks like they are not trying to improve the quality of the support any time soon.

Having said that, there is no denying reason that Ather produces one of the best quality hardware in the market right now. But without a quality support, the customer base is going to slowly decrease as the existing owners stops recommending the product.

5 Likes

First, we don’t work for Ather, we are just Forum Moderators helping out on the Forum front. I’m an owner exactly as you are, and share the same scooter as you do.

Secondly, you are exaggerating about a 5 year old breaking open the seat, it’s not that easy. It does need enough force, and intention of robbing your valuables.

Here’s a video for your reference, so as to how easy it is to break into a “scooters boot”. It’s not the most secure space to keep your valuables, and hence you should be more careful what you store inside. I don’t think the boot in any scooter is safe enough to store valuables, the seat quality isn’t really gonna stop a thief to steal your valuables stored inside.

2 Likes

You are right brother but one thing I want to say the seat is not comfortable for ride and Ather know this and they changed it but u bought this in 1 January and it was launched on 7 January and i asked them to change it for free as it’s only 7 days and i don’t feel comfortable riding it . Do you think 7 day old scooter that to under warranty i should pay extra amount for already highly priced product?

2 Likes

Nitish, it is unfortunate that the seat design change happened right after you bought your scooter. But that is how the world works, and new updates/upgrades to products keep coming. Don’t think Ather can offer free seat upgrade in that case. It’s like you bought a new phone, and the company drops an upgrade, which of course can’t be offered as free upgrade right? Anyways, hope you enjoy your Ather :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try contacting the customer care, they can definitely help you out in your particular situation. Have you tried contacting the dealer too?

2 Likes