Portable charger comparison

Hey guys, I would like to know the difference between the portable charger 1.0 and 2.0. I read that the 2.0 is backwards compatible but is there any significant differences that necessarily requires a 1.0 user to upgrade?

I also read that there is significant difference in the size so i am concerned about the actual portability.

Are any of these portable chargers more water & dust resistant (IPXX) than the other?

1 Like

Version 1.0 Portable charger is meant for very early version of 450s, where it just used to feed voltage converted AC supply to vehicle. Hence it was very small in size. As you might know, in older 450, AC to DC converter is in vehicle itself.

Version 2.0 of Portable charger is meant for second version of 450 and then 450x, where Portable Charger converts AC to DC and feeds the DC supply to the vehicle. Hence, the size is little bulkier compared to the first.

Version 2.0 is backward compatible too and it can be used to charge any 450 series.

Portable Chargers are NOT water and dust resistant whereas wall charger DOT is water/dust resistant to some extent.

5 Likes

Dead wrong. They are both fully weatherproof. The only difference between them are the external plastic shells that are purely cosmetic in nature.

I’m amazed how company representatives and moderators keep repeating the same misinformation about chargers over and over again, and can’t be bothered to educate or correct themselves.

Here’s proof. Again. DiY mount for Portable Charger - #2 by blackworks

3 Likes

I think he meant V1 of Portable charger is not waterproof or dustproof, not the V2 since he owns the first-gen of everything he couldn’t possibly know

3 Likes

Anybody who read these sentences in sequence would conclude that he was referring to ALL portable chargers, regardless of version.

3 Likes

My old post quoted below may be helpful for you.

And, Between the 2 portable chargers, I think both are equally water resistant - the user manual of the charger doesn’t give out any IP ratings.

4 Likes

Clarification on above point after consultation with right people in Ather

Box of both DOT and Portable Charger carries same Electronics. Box is sealed well, hence it should be good against ingress of dust and water. However Wall Plug and Charge Handle where we connect to the scooter are not protected against these. DOT/Portable Charger are internally tested for these factors and do not have any certification for any IP ratings.

So, if both ends (Wall Plug and Charge Handle) are taken care for water ingress or dust, then electrical box is robust enough to stand against these two environmental factors.

Hope that clears all the questions.

2 Likes

While raining can we use ather grid

I’m sorry but do you mean the box (casing) for both DOT and the Portable charger are well sealed for protection against water and dust, or the box for DOT is better protected than the portable charger?

No worries just found this in another post on the forum.

If the version 2.0 is a DC charger is there any big difference in the charging times when compared to the version 1.0?

1 Like

Not much, but there is a slight difference. Since in version1 vehicle, dc converter is within the vehicle so the charging times are a little less.

Incase of fixed charger v1 & v2 there is significant change in charging time, but in portable charger I think there is a little less difference. May be someone like @hemanth.anand or @rajeshkav can put some more light on this as they use v1 chargers.

What do they mean by Class 1 EVSE and Class 2 EVSE? Is it the same as a level 1 and level 2 chargers or is it some other classification for the vehicle itself? Could not find anything in the internet.

Just because it is DC, it doesn’t mean that it has to be faster. Basically there was an onboard charger in the old scooter whih used to convert AC current to DC current before supplying to the battery. Hence the v1 Portable Charger was small.

V2 scooter’s on board charger was removed and hence that part had to be moved to the charger. That’s why the V2 portable charger grew in size.

So, as you can see from the image above, it’s a location change and nothing more. So the charging times also remained more or less same.

EVSE basically means a cgarger/charging station. From what I know, Class1 EVSE can deliver upto 120v at 8-12A and Class 2 EVSE can deliver upto 240v at 20A to 40A. I Don’t know more technical differences between the two Classes.

My guess is that the new portable charger will remain same for future models that Ather comes up with.

2 Likes