Pillion rider foot rest

Max. tightening torque for M8x1 fastener is 1.2kgf-m, i.e., 8.7lbf-ft.

So they have been tightened by 7.25 times. No wonder the corners have rounded off. May be the guy who assembled the part thought he was tightening the nuts of the wheels of a truck and used an extended allenkey and stood on the key as well.

I don’t remember reading anything about a rounded off hex indentation.

It’s M8 x 1.25

1 Like

Please read the post by Powerlight-2000 above.

Thanks for the clarification…max. permissible tightening torque will be marginally higher then.

I did, and it said “jammed bolt”, not “rounded hex”. In fact, he was able to hook up a torque meter to it, which further suggests the hex wasn’t damaged.

PS: I read again and saw a reference to “rounding it”. Assuming “it” means the hex, how was the torque meter hooked up?

Torque meter hooked up before I rounded those fasteners when I was unable to open it with a 5mm allen KEY also those fasteners are low quality and Not DIN standard so over torque will jam them, looks like they have used Air Impact wrench to tight this up and not used a standard wrench, that’s why its torque to that level, Again 130 ft/lbs is not a Joke @ather this is something used on axle nuts and not on some handle Grab bar🤷‍♂️, Just because you can doesn’t mean you should @ather .

Again a simple use of thread locker will help prevent this catastrophe of fasteners backing out, YOU DON’T HAVE TO TIGHTEN IT TILL KINGDOM COMES.

1 Like

So i dont understand as im not smart enough for all of this maths , so a basic question. Is it safe to use this ?

1 Like

A simpler explanation is that they cross threaded the bolt, and the stripped threads inside have jammed it in place. If someone tried to torque a garden variety M8 fastener to the level of a car’s crank pulley bolt, it would have either snapped or rounded off right then and there on the assembly line.

1 Like

Never thought of it, but 2 bolts are jammed and I was able to get the other 2 bolts out, 1 bolt may be cross-threaded but 2 seems improbable, Still it’s Ather I cannot confirm nor deny it might have been done

2 Likes

All it takes is a slightly wrong entry angle and a power tool to cross thread and ruin a threaded hole in Al. It’s a constant nightmare at the workshop.

… I can understand your plight… I too feel bad… I cannot take my mum for a ride on my Ather 450x…

Why don’t Ather suggest us with simple solution. Atleast they should suggest where to buy based on quality assessment on any products bought in to cover any warranty against damage

1 Like

Ather team still doing R&D …

Once they got Result we will get ladies foot rest

But U have Patience…:soon:

1 Like

Price of this foot rest

1 Like

Now they are providing foot rest as an accessory for under 1000 Rs

1 Like

Who is they? I mean is Ather now providing some Foot rest or is Any Ather Dealer providing it? Better be some foot rest quality are sold by some sellers

1 Like

Where to buy

1 Like

Few of my opinions on the pillion footrest:

• Sitting sideways is the most unsafe thing to do. People used to do it when a scooter was the only means of transport. Those were the days when safety was non existent. Nobody wore a helmet or used seatbelts (in cars). Times have changed. Kudos to Ather for not providing this side footrest and discouraging people from sitting sideways. Even if you don’t have a fall your pillion can fall off the scooter while you lean into a turn. Do you even care about the life of your pillion rider?
  • Ather has provided 2 footrests. One on either side for each foot. That’s how you are supposed to sit on the scooter.
  • Now lot of you will argue that you have to take a saree clad woman on your Ather. Well there is a simple solution to that. Just make here ride the bike. She can sit comfortably with her feet on the floorboard. Added advantage is there is no chance of the saree fouling with the rear wheel. Saree guard also not required. You can sit on the pillion seat astride with your feet on the 2 footrests
  • Coming to the chrome guard with integrated footrests. It looks hideous. Why do you want to spoil the good looks of the Ather with that ugly chrome guard.
8 Likes

Ather does not sell any official or certified accessories for any 450 scooter.

5 Likes

Do you have any photos? How come nothing is there on the website. I doubt it will be from Ather.

1 Like

They are Ather itself, I have personally tested foot rest when i have gone for test ride and full payment.

Here it is. It is available in Ather Showroom, Pune

Priced at INR 768 as on today

2 Likes