Ownership Experience

Same here. It’s asking me to take the 1st ride after 3.5k kms :upside_down_face:

I had this problem too. Reinstalling initially didn’t help, but I tried clearing the cache in the phone’s app settings page and it worked! Not sure if this actually was what helped (since reinstalling usually takes care of this problem), but no harm in trying :slight_smile:

Checked this with the team and we identified an error from our side. Your ride history will start appearing over the next few days!

3 Likes

Thanks. But will current BMS issue I.e shutdown during high charge state like 100% be resolved ? Since you people are telling it won’t get any new features ? So we will need to live with broken BMS ? Can we get any clarity on this ?

1 Like

There is a fix in place, and the occurrence is very rare. If the issue occurs, we fix it under warranty. We recommend that you use it as a vacation mode when you won’t be using it for more than a few days.

There are some new features, fixes and improvements coming to the 450 soon, apart from the optional 4G upgrade. Over the next few months, you’ll see:

1. Dark Mode
  2. Smart Charging reminders (if your vehicle is low on battery)
  3. Smart Navigation reminders
  4. Better Keyboard on navigation (on dashboard)
  5. Overhauling the app (some of the above features will be through the app)

We’ll keep you posted as and when we’re releasing these features :smiley:

15 Likes

@abhishek.balaji

When this issue affected set of users, Ather team updated us at multiple times that a solution is being worked upon and until then the recommendation is not to use the shutdown in high SOCs.

E.g.
https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/ama-sunday-13th-october/3786/6

So, we were hoping for a fix in near future. It has been 4-5 months since then. But, the recent answers to this question suggests otherwise.

i.e. the shutdown should be used rarely as vacation mode and not regularly. If this issue occurs, it will be fixed as a part of warranty.

Why is there a change in stance now? While I understand that you needed time to fix this critical issue, but this should be fixed on proactive basis rather than waiting for the issue to occur.

After multiple warnings from fellow users, moderators, Ather team, I think majority of us have stopped using Shutdown. Now, if you are telling that you will fix when it occurs, I don’t know how it will occur when we don’t use that option itself?

**It is like telling you will fix pothole when people fall in it. Now seeing so many fell, we are avoiding pothole. Now you are asking us to continue the habit :slight_smile: **

Majority of used shutdown to avoid wasting energy, some times it is critical for us to use at high SOC.

Just want to highlight one instance where I really wanted to use shutdown:

Very recently, my mother was hospitalized for 2 weeks and I had parked my scooter in the hospital all the time for urgent need during my stay there. While my travel distance is very less based on need, I was loosing lot of range just in idle period. But, I was afraid to use shutdown mode because of the possible bug.

And, whenever I came home to take clothes or take bath, I was forced to charge it to the maximum to be in safe side.

Even in last 10 days, contrary to my usual behaviour, I am forced to charge 100% so that I don’t end up lack of charge for my urgent ride any time as my need to hospital and therapy visits are sudden and urgent.

My request:
If you have the fix ready, Please roll out to all the vehicles proactively and let us use shutdown as our requirement.

9 Likes

@abhishek.balaji @Ather.Team I believe you did not miss my message. Hoping to see a reply with solution

1 Like

Hey, We realized that a lot of owners started shutting down on a regular basis (some after every ride) to reduce the idle drain, and conserve energy. The functionality wasn’t designed for such frequent shutdowns.

So, if you want to use the shutdown feature occasionally, you can do so. But, the recommendation remains the same - please use the shutdown feature only occasionally as a vacation mode. Over 60%, there is a small probability of it causing issues if done repeatedly.

I would suggest that design audit be carried out an improved upon so that shut down can be opted despite high state of charge. This is to avoid energy loss and drain.
Would we allow drops of fuel to drain when an ICE vehicle is parked?

4 Likes

The battery drain is similar to your phone on standby.

1 Like

I would, with design as my profession go back to the drawing boards check what needs to be done to address the issue. With a good R&D set up, I believe and trust that Ather will and can do it.

2 Likes

Hypothetical question: If the issue occurs and you guys fix it, is it a permanent fix or will we have to continue to treat it as a vacation mode?

3 Likes

Shutdown mode issue should be fixed soon, as there is a great loss of charge if kept idle for more time in short ride. I travel 14 km per day. Morning after 7 km ride I park in office and evening discharge happens by 4 to 5 km again 7 km ride back home, whole night parked another 5 to 6 km loss. Overall I ride 14 km and loose 10 km. This is not fair. Please fix the bug.

3 Likes

To be honest, that still didn’t answer the query…

Is this a change in stance? There is no bug fix as promised earlier?

If you say this could not be fixed and need more time, then that’s different topic.

But, you say a fix is in place when this affects rarely. Is the fix only to come out of the bricking?

Or the fix will also ensure that it will not occur anymore?

1 Like

It’s a permanent fix, if the issue occurs and we resolve it, and won’t occur again. It’s due to a resistor on the BMS, hence fixing involves changing the hardware in the battery pack.

4 Likes

That’s fair, and reducing battery drain is being worked on. Some functions of the vehicle are still alive, such as the BMS constantly monitoring the cells in the battery pack, regulating temperature etc, along with connectivity functions to enable features such as vehicle tracking on your app, availability of real time range, push to navigate features and more.

In fact, with the new battery chemistry in the 450X and the reworked BMS, the battery drain has been significantly reduced, based on the feedback from many users about the idle battery drain. We realised it was critical for some users to avoid battery drain, owing to the long daily commute or long idle times. It was fixed with an OTA to some extent, and got better when the BMS was reworked in the 450X.

2 Likes

Thanks Abhishek. Do you think it’s possible to fix it for the batches which are relevant?

Because, now inspite of your assurance people won’t be confident to use it. Fixing it will allow people to use it.

Or, the cost of fix is a problem?

The emphasis s because like you said, majority of the users were using it.

2 Likes

Would this be fixed for 450? Its important to address this in 450 as well with a permanent fix as quite a sizeable chunk of customers are still interested in 450 rather than 450X.

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Funny Side

Fix for batches relevant…and moreover avoid the issue in forthcoming deliveries…