Ownership Experience

Thanks for the update and Shreyas

1 Like

Sad to be one of the first ones to report this, but My scooter fell last Saturday due to an idiotic mistake from me :man_facepalming:.
A friend met me near my home and he rode my scooter. After he rode it and parked it, we spoke for some time and he left. He had turned the handle to the right side. Because the handle was turned to the right side, it was looking nice. So, I took some photos in that place itself. Then, I went to the scooter from it’s right side and tried to lift the scooter to sit. Before I even realised, the scooter flew away from me and fell down. The motor was still on and without realising that, I had twisted the throttle a bit! :man_facepalming:
argh! I had not checked the engine kill switch. That gut wrenching feeling before you lift…really bad. When the scooter was lifted back, it was a sad sight, Left side panels had scratches all over. It was not a heavy fall but it was tarmac and not grassy ground. So it was limited to scratches. the side panels, the side stand and the rear grab rail had scratches! then I saw that the entire weight had fallen on the left brake lever and it was bent!

Although it was not a big damage and the vehicle was in perfect running condition, I can’t see any of my vehicle with scratches. I parked it in the parking lot, called the road side assistance and explained them about the mishap. It was a Saturday evening and hence the pick-up was scheduled for Monday. I was feeling terribly bad but felt a little better when I heard from them that mine was not the first such case. I informed Autovert too and they told me that after the Estimate from Ather, we can decide the further course of action.

Monday morning, the vehicle was picked up an hour before the scheduled time and it was taken to their IBC office near dairy circle. Later in the afternoon, I got an estimate of 4000 for replacement with new parts (3 LH panels, side stand, LH brake lever and the grab rail) and 500 labour. After thinking a bit, I took a call not to go for Insurance for such a minor damage. This meant that Autovert/Digit will not be involved. This was informed to Autovert.

Tuesday Morning, I called up to check the status and I was told that it’ll be delivered by 8PM the same day. the bill was generated and the payment link was sent. Exactly by the time I reached home, I vehicle reached home too. as good as new. The replaced parts were returned to me.

Lessons learnt (the hard way)

• As much as I love the silent motor, it has it’s disadvantages.
  • I must make it a habit ASAP to use the engine kill switch whenever I switch off (as instructed by Ather many tomes now).
  • It will be nice to have a side stand warning or some of poka yoke to avoid/avert vehicle movement when it is parked.

The whole thing was embarrassing, but from an optimistic point of view, I experienced the RSA and the servicing of Ather. I must say it was impressive. they were pretty fast and good. Hopefully it remains the same even after the number of Athers on road increase. Autovert were also following up in parallel which was nice to see.

9 Likes

Really Unfortunate, but the service part looks promising… Hope it remains same

2 Likes

Wow, would have never figured that out. Since its kinda hidden

1 Like

Shreyas, agree and understood on app update (in phone).

How about predicted range on dashboard? Does it need to start fresh now? I thought dashboard predicted range is from the day 1 till today based on energy burnt and distance covered.

3 Likes

It’d be better in the Ather app to have the ODO reading and the vehicle number in the ‘My 450’ section instead of the Profile section. Profile section for owner data and My 450 section for Vehicle data will make more sense IMO.

2 Likes

Hi Shreyas, I have received the OTA update and still the network is same bad. Also not able to see rider sensitisation feature. Request you to confirm the SW version. I have the attached version.

1 Like

That’s really unfortunate brother. Servicing part is impressive tho.

Btw @Ather.Team can you give us an option to kill the motor when the side stand is on. Or when the side stand is on the motor shouldn’t switch on?

2 Likes

Hi guys, my Ather will be delivered shortly. My daughter will be taking the delivery as I’m out of town. Kindly advise a checklist of what all things to be checked/ familiarised after taking delivery. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

That is the correct version for the new update. By rider sensitization feature I guess you are talking about the red colored halo ring indicator which shows up around the range estimator when you are driving the scooter? Does that not show up on hard acceleration/braking?

2 Likes

@samitbanerji thanks for your reply. I saw that hollow red ring with speed picked up. When I accelerated on the ramp did not see that initially.

1 Like

WoW !!

I wish, I can repeat the same… However it does not look positive after one day driving (after OTA update). I do not see number going above 65Km in RIDE mode, even though the driving pattern is same as my 111km in Eco mode :frowning:

Little disappointed with OTA and not able to understand this RANGE prediction on dashboard. I will write a separate thread on this observation.

1 Like

Hi Rajesh,

This range prediction is only for short period… As per shreyas note now the prediction will show based on all vehicles on road data averaged or flatlined and the out come of that is 65km in ride and 55km in sports mode… So if your 100%charge is touching 65km in ride mode then be happy that all on road vehicles are driving as per prediction :smile: My yesterdays drive experience was good with new OTA. I was able to see that I exceeded estimated range by 8Km just in one day after update… But today morning again my 100% charge was 65km… So i feel now the range prediction is more consistent… My personal opinion…

1 Like

Hey Rajesh,

As @sandeepnvp pointed out, this is a flat lined predicted range and has got nothing to do with your individual riding style. Your personalized range prediction will come back with the next app update as the data from your previous riding and current is still being stored and will reflect on the app.

If your predicted range had increased to 111, in ride mode(eco earlier), it will keep updating from there as opposed to starting from scratch(or 65km) in this case.

3 Likes

Hey Rajesh, @rajeshkav
I forgot to mention a point. In addition to shreyas feedback, Now you can observe battery % instead of range based on each ride you finish… Which i was also doing along with range. My observation is below after software update.

When I start from Home to office the battery reading is 100%.

1. after reaching office battery % is 74
  2. start from office to home battery % is 73 (9hrs of idle time)
  3. after reaching home battery % is 47.

Hence I was able to complete my round trip with just 53% battery usage… Hence it is in line with whatever range prediction I use to get before software update…
So this is one of the way you can be sure that your efforts in reaching 111km is not lost…

5 Likes

Sorry to know this happened with you @hemanth.anand … I always had this fear in my mind whenever I saw that I had forgotten to use motor kill switch. Specifically when my six years son is around as he is too curious to check everything on this vehicle…

Keeping this incident in mind I have a question and suggestion to @Ather.Team @Shreyas.

Question : why there is no protection to either side of the body of scooter if accidentally scooter falls on ground? Usually in bikes we have crash guard which is designed in way to avoid vehicles front side and middle side parts should not touch to ground when it falls. But in scooter design you cannot have this, hence in conventional scooters like activa or dio they have metal frame around body edge which atleast protects from scratches to main body parts when it’s falls to ground…

Suggestion : since we don’t have side stand indicator and no sound of Motor. Is it possible to add an alert feature in dash display (like flashing entire screen with red or blue color for 1sec or 3 seconds ) when scooter is at zero speed or stand still, so that it indicates driver to turn of motor using kill switch… Or even a big bold red letter text saying “TURN OFF MOTOR IF NOT IN USE”…

4 Likes

Had a voluntary 450 health check up done by @Ather.Team this morning. Apparently they are doing it for those who have covered over 750kms. All systems good, though the tire pressure came out to be staggeringly low at 17 psi for the rear and 19 psi for the front tyre. This is surprising considering it has been only a month of ownership of the vehicle so far. I do not expect tyre pressures to drop so much over a month.

Hope it is not an issue with the quality of tyres used and may be just a one off case. It could be a puncture (on both tyres) which I would be sure of once I check the tyre pressures again in a few days time. I would recommend all 450 owners to have their tyre pressures checked once(It should be 28 psi for the front and 30 psi for the rear as they suggested during their visit) as this does affect the range significantly. What was surprising to me however was that I did not notice any difference/lag in the performance of the 450 with such low tyre pressures or any wobbling even while taking sharp turns, which I have noticed on my Activa before.

PS: I did have a puncture on the rear tyre which was fixed by @Ather.Team about two weeks ago.

2 Likes

Hi @samitbanerji,

My one month odo is 900km and front tyre pressure was 26 and back tyre pressure was 24 when I went for tyre pressure check at Shell petrol bank… (I trust there only for both quality of petrol and tyre pressure also). Even I follow 1 month cycle for tyre pressure check as it’s tubeless tyres…

3 Likes

I do not think most of the two wheelers in the market come with a stock fitting of crash guards out the door. It is mostly installed at the dealership level or from a third party store. However, just like on any other two wheeler it will definitely spoil the look of the 450. And I am positive you will be able to find such crash guards in the market which would be a good fit for the 450.

As far as the Motor ON warning goes, I think it is just a matter of time people start taking such precautionary measures like killing the motor when you are at stand still. This was specially highlighted to me while taking delivery of the 450, and is in fact the sole reason behind having that motor kill switch. Instead of having a warning sign flashing at you every time you are at standstill with the motor ON, in my opinion what would be more preferable is having the “Motor ON/OFF” text on display be enlarged a bit and/or be focused in the center of the screen when standing still.

5 Likes