Ownership Experience

Hi Shreyas, I have received the OTA update and still the network is same bad. Also not able to see rider sensitisation feature. Request you to confirm the SW version. I have the attached version.

1 Like

That’s really unfortunate brother. Servicing part is impressive tho.

Btw @Ather.Team can you give us an option to kill the motor when the side stand is on. Or when the side stand is on the motor shouldn’t switch on?

2 Likes

Hi guys, my Ather will be delivered shortly. My daughter will be taking the delivery as I’m out of town. Kindly advise a checklist of what all things to be checked/ familiarised after taking delivery. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

That is the correct version for the new update. By rider sensitization feature I guess you are talking about the red colored halo ring indicator which shows up around the range estimator when you are driving the scooter? Does that not show up on hard acceleration/braking?

2 Likes

@samitbanerji thanks for your reply. I saw that hollow red ring with speed picked up. When I accelerated on the ramp did not see that initially.

1 Like

WoW !!

I wish, I can repeat the same… However it does not look positive after one day driving (after OTA update). I do not see number going above 65Km in RIDE mode, even though the driving pattern is same as my 111km in Eco mode :frowning:

Little disappointed with OTA and not able to understand this RANGE prediction on dashboard. I will write a separate thread on this observation.

1 Like

Hi Rajesh,

This range prediction is only for short period… As per shreyas note now the prediction will show based on all vehicles on road data averaged or flatlined and the out come of that is 65km in ride and 55km in sports mode… So if your 100%charge is touching 65km in ride mode then be happy that all on road vehicles are driving as per prediction :smile: My yesterdays drive experience was good with new OTA. I was able to see that I exceeded estimated range by 8Km just in one day after update… But today morning again my 100% charge was 65km… So i feel now the range prediction is more consistent… My personal opinion…

1 Like

Hey Rajesh,

As @sandeepnvp pointed out, this is a flat lined predicted range and has got nothing to do with your individual riding style. Your personalized range prediction will come back with the next app update as the data from your previous riding and current is still being stored and will reflect on the app.

If your predicted range had increased to 111, in ride mode(eco earlier), it will keep updating from there as opposed to starting from scratch(or 65km) in this case.

3 Likes

Hey Rajesh, @rajeshkav
I forgot to mention a point. In addition to shreyas feedback, Now you can observe battery % instead of range based on each ride you finish… Which i was also doing along with range. My observation is below after software update.

When I start from Home to office the battery reading is 100%.

1. after reaching office battery % is 74
  2. start from office to home battery % is 73 (9hrs of idle time)
  3. after reaching home battery % is 47.

Hence I was able to complete my round trip with just 53% battery usage… Hence it is in line with whatever range prediction I use to get before software update…
So this is one of the way you can be sure that your efforts in reaching 111km is not lost…

5 Likes

Sorry to know this happened with you @hemanth.anand … I always had this fear in my mind whenever I saw that I had forgotten to use motor kill switch. Specifically when my six years son is around as he is too curious to check everything on this vehicle…

Keeping this incident in mind I have a question and suggestion to @Ather.Team @Shreyas.

Question : why there is no protection to either side of the body of scooter if accidentally scooter falls on ground? Usually in bikes we have crash guard which is designed in way to avoid vehicles front side and middle side parts should not touch to ground when it falls. But in scooter design you cannot have this, hence in conventional scooters like activa or dio they have metal frame around body edge which atleast protects from scratches to main body parts when it’s falls to ground…

Suggestion : since we don’t have side stand indicator and no sound of Motor. Is it possible to add an alert feature in dash display (like flashing entire screen with red or blue color for 1sec or 3 seconds ) when scooter is at zero speed or stand still, so that it indicates driver to turn of motor using kill switch… Or even a big bold red letter text saying “TURN OFF MOTOR IF NOT IN USE”…

4 Likes

Had a voluntary 450 health check up done by @Ather.Team this morning. Apparently they are doing it for those who have covered over 750kms. All systems good, though the tire pressure came out to be staggeringly low at 17 psi for the rear and 19 psi for the front tyre. This is surprising considering it has been only a month of ownership of the vehicle so far. I do not expect tyre pressures to drop so much over a month.

Hope it is not an issue with the quality of tyres used and may be just a one off case. It could be a puncture (on both tyres) which I would be sure of once I check the tyre pressures again in a few days time. I would recommend all 450 owners to have their tyre pressures checked once(It should be 28 psi for the front and 30 psi for the rear as they suggested during their visit) as this does affect the range significantly. What was surprising to me however was that I did not notice any difference/lag in the performance of the 450 with such low tyre pressures or any wobbling even while taking sharp turns, which I have noticed on my Activa before.

PS: I did have a puncture on the rear tyre which was fixed by @Ather.Team about two weeks ago.

2 Likes

Hi @samitbanerji,

My one month odo is 900km and front tyre pressure was 26 and back tyre pressure was 24 when I went for tyre pressure check at Shell petrol bank… (I trust there only for both quality of petrol and tyre pressure also). Even I follow 1 month cycle for tyre pressure check as it’s tubeless tyres…

3 Likes

I do not think most of the two wheelers in the market come with a stock fitting of crash guards out the door. It is mostly installed at the dealership level or from a third party store. However, just like on any other two wheeler it will definitely spoil the look of the 450. And I am positive you will be able to find such crash guards in the market which would be a good fit for the 450.

As far as the Motor ON warning goes, I think it is just a matter of time people start taking such precautionary measures like killing the motor when you are at stand still. This was specially highlighted to me while taking delivery of the 450, and is in fact the sole reason behind having that motor kill switch. Instead of having a warning sign flashing at you every time you are at standstill with the motor ON, in my opinion what would be more preferable is having the “Motor ON/OFF” text on display be enlarged a bit and/or be focused in the center of the screen when standing still.

5 Likes

Yes you are correct… Even we were educated on purpose of kill switch. But still due to on-road while driving we will usually have many thoughts running and when we stop scooter we get distracted to turn off motor… But yes if we are conscious enough and make it a practices to use kill switch… Certainly we can avoid any unwanted damage…
Sure we can have something like a pop up window with arrow mark towards switch until you turn off the motor kill switch…

2 Likes

Hey Samit,

Small correction in the tyre pressure values:

6 Likes

Thanks @sandeepnvp @Shreyas for explanation.

In the previous OTA,

• I was riding 40 Km a day
  • I used to ride 80 Km in 2 days and used to charge once in 2 days

Now, in the new OTA

• What will be the case for the above scenario?
  • After 1 day, 65 Km (predicted range) - 40 km commute = 25 Km remaining range
  • For sure, I will be forced to charge as my mind says, I will not be able to cover second day. It is mental blockage that dashboard will push on me.

Now let me do some math (for which I am unable to understand the answer).

• Your argument is that today’s predicted range is flat, i.e 65 Km per charge.
  • However this morning, I had traveled 20.9 Km to office, that means 65-20.9=44.1 should be the number I should see in the dashboard (theoretically)
  • However I see 52 Km in dashboard now, with 81% charge remaining. So, what is the definition of ‘Flat’?

Let me do second level of math.

• If 100% of battery covers 65 Km, then to cover 20.9 Km, I need 32.1% of battery (however left over battery now is 81%)

If I calculate other way based on % left, with 19% battery usage, I could cover 20.9 Km. That means, with remaining 81%, I should be able to cover 89.1 Km. That interpolates, for 100% charge, my range is 20.9+89.1=110 Km (bingo!! which is my Eco Range of 110 Km).

Well, I very well know that battery consumption is not linear.

What I am trying to say is that new OTA will definitely push a mental pressure on every other user to charge everyday !!!

2 Likes

Hey Rajesh,

Agree to you on some part that for users getting much higher range than 65, it does put some pressure. And to curb that, the personalized-predicted range will reflect on the app.

As for what flat-lining means is:

Displayed range = Battery charge(SoC) remaining x 65 / 100.

This does not mean the consumption will change by any means from what it was earlier.
Hence, even when you travel ~21 km, the dip in remaining range is only of 13 km.

Which essentially means you will be able to travel (21/13)x65 = 105 km roughly.

And for your case, once you complete 40 km, the range remaining on the dashboard should be [65 - (40/105)*65] = 40.

For you, however, this should be still good for another 65 km.

I hope gives some clarity to you.

Just like a smartphone, does not display time remaining on a charge and instead shows percentage remaining, a 50% remaining can mean a different things for different users.

Similarly the 65km is an average range that users get, however, it can mean different for different users.

Once the app is updated, and the next dashboard update has the SoC (battery percentage) displayed, it will curb this anxiety.

4 Likes

Type pressure get adjusted or Air loss happens based on the road condition and weight. We need to check regularly at least once in a week to avoid air loss or punctures.
I am checking every weekend and observed 15 to 20% difference in a week. Filling nitrogen instead of a normal air also a best option.

2 Likes

15 to 20% in a week is not normal I think. I am a solo rider and weigh about 80 kgs, have not ever carried a heavy load, and use the ORR 90% of the time. I have not tried using nitrogen yet. May be that will help a bit. However I am hoping it is just a puncture that is causing the significant pressure loss over the past two weeks. (from 28 to 18 psi).

1 Like