Is it not cheating?

Hi @blackworks yes this is absolutely true and Ather should have communicated this fact that a software OTA update planned until which bluetooth as a usable feature is not available even though hardware is available. They are supposed to communicate this very clearly and few other things much clear.

But also however we cannot blame only Ather here. This discussion is like a double edged sword, where there is a correct sharp edge on our ( i.e., consumers including me) side and other side a mistake on our ( again consumers which includes me) side.

The correct part is already mentioned. So the part which is a mistake according to my opinion is…

Production vehicle is available for test ride, so we have a fully functional dashboard and hardware. Before purchasing a 170000 worth vehicle I am sure we check all the features, so we check all the features they advertise. Please correct me on below statements if I am wrong.

As a customer I check how maps work, how document upload work, how settings work, how side stand sensor work, how reverse mode work and how bluetooth work. So I also ask questions regarding the same. While checking if we did not find the bluetooth option as a customer who is spending lot of money I have all the right in every possible way to ask the question where is the feature and why it is not there???

Yes definitely Ather has to communicate this in a very better and clear way but why we as a consumer did not check it in first place as this is not something that can be hidden when we physically see the lack of feature. They did not have the feature available in teat ride vehicles also.

So this is a discussion of double edged sword in which our argument is both correct and on the other side we have our own flaws too.

Said that I request @ather.team and @tarun to please consider reflecting the clear statement on the website to give a clear message that the features which are missing as a software for some more time is conveyed straight forward. Until they are made available through OTA later anyway we can remove that statements from website after the feature is up. That way actually you are raising your standards of being so open and loyal to customers. (At least a ** disclaimer shall do the job)

2 Likes

I agree with most of what you’ve said, @kumar.uppaluri2 . However, not taking a test ride or not digging through every single page on the website and the forum isn’t exactly a mistake on a potential customer’s part.

The company is responsible for QC, and ensuring the accuracy or their claims. Claiming something and delivering something else is a stinky bait-and-switch tactic. Trying to then hold a customer responsible for not getting what you told him to expect is gaslighting.

What I find truly incredible here is all the hype about translucent body panels when the core product was on fire.

7 Likes

@blackworks I absolutely agree with you and I said the same in my post. Ather is doing a mistake on their side and that is a fact that is arguably correct. And they must try and put things in right way. And also we as customers doing certain mistakes of not questioning before purchase that is what I meant to say.

1 Like

Well, now that I know exactly what I got, I’m going to keep making loud noises about it and hope that the people that matter in the organization understand that the goodwill they earned with their first product is slowly but surely eroding away, and taking customers for granted is a very bad gamble.

I had sworn off forums a long time ago because they would consume gigantic amounts of my time, but this experience has been so annoying that I chose to jump back in. Let’s see where this goes.

6 Likes

You can still use wifi, bluetooth and lot of other options. U can use whatsapp for calling, u can pick ur own simcard, you can just use as a smart device also.once u buy u will get the phone from company, no need to pay to that company. Its ur wish how u will use

It wont say, its phone of company not urs and u need to pay subscription for using it.

2 Likes

Price it self says how they are trying to loot:

1. Bike Price : 139000
  2. Warp mode price : 20000
  3. Insurance : 5000
  4. Fame Discount : 29000
  5. Charger installation : 2300 (min), i end up spending 10000 in my apartment

After paying all of this, for using features promised we need to pay 2400 extra subscription.

All together its more than 200000. We can buy Suzuki access + 10 years of fuel also. Vespa and 5 years of fuel + no limitation of speed and travel limit

And service once in 5000 Km :blush:, and not even simple guidance how to use it.

We can have fun once after buying only

2 Likes

The charger installation is optional. You can get your own electrician to do it.

Data isn’t free. They need to pay the telecom provider for the sim and data just like we do for our mobile phones. They spend money to maintain the data and the api that lets your scooter connect with the app, that shows you your ride statistics, allows you to track your scooter and push locations from your app to your scooter navigation screen.

All this costs money and they have no obligation to give it for free. I don’t know which sales person you met at the EC, but when I went for the test drive of the 450 (back in 2018) they were clear in stating that the first year was free and subsequent years are chargeable.

But honestly, if they are going to get billion dollar revenues by charging us ₹2400 a year for connectivity, then I too should start selling these plans!.

It was the same for the 450 too. Just call support and ask them to book a service slot once you reach 5K kms.

During the 450 era, Connect and Service were bundled together in the higher tier plans. Now they’ve split both, and when referring to a default “plan”, they don’t make it very clear that it doesn’t include Connect. During the time of purchase, I did not get an option to select a Connect plan either. So one has to figure this out either by tirelessly poring over these forums, or after collecting the scooter and realizing that features you had come to expect with the 450 require further activation, even after paying 30% over the 450.

Oh, and I now also have to juggle TWO subscriptions instead of just ONE. Sounds like a lot of fun!

5 Likes

wow… charger installation is not optional though, it has to be installed and we need to pay even we hire electrician outside. Unless person is electrician himself :slight_smile:

they are charging premium saying connectivity, see all old advertisements and now charging for that basic feature. With our connectivity its just a normal scooter which may not worth 80K also.

dont compare with 450, people bought Ather for 1.13 lacs also, 450X these people hyped telling connectivity. No one will pay ~2 lacs for just a normal 75km range electric scooter which will just in Bangalore roads

i know after 5K i can call for service, but who will drive daily in this pandemic situation. Every other bike company provides service 3 times in year. km driven not the matter always. Dont u still feel cheating?

2 Likes

Devil if you do, devil if you don’t!.

Owners complained about being forced to pay for data when they weren’t interested in connected features. So Ather did the next best thing of splitting everything to the lowest possible cost and made all subscriptions optional.

They’ve actually called it out in the reminder emails I got for payments timelines of the Series1 edition.

2 Likes

The scooter does not require service 3 times a year, so expecting a petrol vehicle like service schedule is unreasonable. At least with the 450, whenever I reported an issue, the response time wasn’t too bad and warranty was honored. Not sure how it has been for others, but I don’t have much to complain about on that front.

its not Ather should have communicated, they have to communicate. No on email but with personal email to each customer. Hiding information not providing correct information on time is called as cheating.

customers paid for the features. They are not doing charity.

2 Likes

I got the same. What I’m saying is when I went to complete the purchase, I was not shown an option to add on a Connect plan. If the option was there, I’d have taken it.

Also, when somebody heaps praise on the Early Adopters, gives them “Collector’s Edition” perks and makes a big show about it, and then proceeds to EXCLUDE basic connectivity and smart features, how does that make them look?

The previous structure put Connect at the bottom and layered Service on top of it. All they had to do was flip the damn thing upside down and it would have been kosher. Even if they didn’t I don’t see the downside in having an optional Ather One like package that lazy people lke me would go for, while those interested in micromanaging their experience could choose separately. Instead, somebody decided to be too cute and this is the result.

1 Like

All it takes is a hammer, and 4 screws (or better, a drilling machine).

If it’s not worth the price - don’t buy it!. I mean, we all do our due diligence before spending that kind of money. Wait for something that will meet your range & cost requirements.

You are confusing warranty with service. The 450x comes with 3 years of warranty!. Unless damage was wilful negligence or from an accident (both fall outside the purview of ANY warranty agreement), Ather has never denied a warranty claim - from Dashboard to wiring harness, Battery packs, Ather has replaced all defective parts under warranty.

3 Likes

We are in agreement on this point.

1 Like

first year free service should be payable then? if its not payable what they are giving worth of 3600?

as i told a bike with 40K also gives free service for first year. at least 3 time basic checks. Ather not bothered to see why its working after sold to customer?

not all customers are experts to know how the scooter is working

Secondly, anyone releases product and with out basic required accessories also. ~2.0 lacs worth bike comes with out even foot mat and looks like dirty foot path after a week.

In all the rounds, if not a worth buying this bike unless they give more features and more accessories. I am 1000% sure they are going to fail in Indian market with this price tag and this kind of cheating

1 Like

Here is a catch before these plans are announced and the perks for collector’s edition also announced many opinions of owners is that what if we don’t want connectivity we do not use that feature & we generally use regular routes.

So keeping that in mind connectivity is never given as a benefit for collector’s edition it is only service subscription that they announced. Because in a business point of view why spend on something that users may not use.

Again don’t judge me as a fan boy I raised issues and criticised Ather many times so I am not fan boy but trying to make a point.

Firstly I have to say please maintain some decorum when using words in a public forum. Secondly if you are not at all satisfied with the product what is the need to buy.

Secondly please do not say they did not say that they do not have accessories yet and definitely floor mat is not in the nearest road map. If you say that then you bought the vehicle in imagination without even seeing it, and that is absolutely a mistake.

You have to understand the fact that most of the users do not cover 5000km in a year taking the average commute per day on a EV which is a service milestone for Ather as it has very less maintenance and moving parts.

So there is no point in giving a free service for one year. Also Ather is not charging customers if there is a manufacturing defect or if there is a issue cause due to their software in my understanding (AFAIK). They charge you if you want a doorstep pickup that is there. If the vehicle is dropped at service centre then no such thing also if it is a critical issue due to hardware or software then they pick the vehicle.

You can ask me a question why in such case service subscription is free for collectors edition. Let us understand that service pro subscription has many other perks in it like RSA, home pickup and other stuff.

I again and again say that Ather even though they announced it clearly before the launch itself that bluetooth as a software feature will be available only by feb they should clearly mention this point in website also at least as a ** disclaimer, for those who might not follow the forum or did not ask questions to clarify and understand the product in a hurry to buy and own a different product. And that actually had to be very much open on this ( I meant “should” only because they already informed this before announcing / revealing series 1 collectors edition). But I may differ on other points.

2 Likes

My friend, there is a reason why dealers make you buy mats and guards for an ICE scooter - Margins!.

Accessories are where they make money!. That foot mat will cost about ₹40-60 to manufacture and is sold to you for ₹200-₹400. Any foot mat, car or bike will get dirty!. Guess what - a nice water wash will make it like new in no time!.

And a final note from my side : I understand you are unhappy with your purchase experience and empathize with you, but why anybody would “spit” on Ather is beyond my understanding.

Can they do things better?. Can they improve communication? Can they improve software stability?. A big YES to all those questions. They have learnt a lot from the 450 and will have to learn a lot from the 450x rollout. No one comes out guns blazing and hitting the bullseye every time!. It takes time, practice and the hunger to learn from mistakes - all of which I have seen from the Ather Team.

5 Likes

I understand, you are from Ather. And u like Ather. That does not mean everyone need to like Ather.

i gave reason in what situation people will spit, spit is a way of showing unlike. its not a bad word though.

Nowhere its mentioned connectivity will after couple of months, and Bluetooth after 6 months while paying the amount. The only thing highlighted is connectivity and smart words always.

2 Likes

no, we should not do water wash. that’s what the instruction given. Premium product should come with basic accessories from company it self.

Mat is replaceable though

And i am not running charity to spend 2.0 lacs and a bike which hardly runs for 75 km and will wait they they will improve and they will come up with better ideas

2 Likes