Is it not cheating?

I don’t see any cheating because even though the software is not ready.

1. They did not force any one to purchase.
  2. They did not hide the fact that software is not ready they admitted this and explain about the OTA thing that it shall be released by feb 2021. Before purchase and tell you you can wait till then if all features are required.
  3. They give no reasons asked preorder cancellation policy until you pay the full amount. And there is no time limit to do the payment.

Unless it is for series1 vehicle. That too they informed that because of limited addition we cannot produce it for long and if you are ok with the current limitations you can purchase. You can opt for any colour you want and it is not a compulsion to take series1, all the features like service pack offer is still available to those who are eligible for series1 except translucent panels.

Ha… communication wise they are little slow and confused but they are not cheating.

So it is not cheating you could have waited till all features available.

I am also one among those who echo for software features but I bought this knowing that some features will be rolled-out later.

Because unlike normal software after testing the software they need to get approvals from many departments of govt as it is a on road vehicle.

I echoed for rolling them out quickly. Because with lot of expansion going and lot of new customers onboarding it is difficult to explain and convince them for these that is why I wanted them to deliver all the features quickly and also I want them as I paid for them.

Yes they are slow in doing this they can deliver the feature much earlier than feb2021 but for that they have their reasons which as a consumer we don’t want such reasons.

But still they did not cheat they said about every thing and then asked if you want the vehicle now buy it if you want all the features ready before purchase then wait for a while.

You can wait with out paying need not pay to wait.

After all these options available we purchase and say they are cheating then it is a cheating that we do to ourself.

And lastly

For this the answer is in your explanation only we are paying a big amount so we need to know each and every thing before buying, it is our money just because someone said something we don’t buy a costly product.

Even to buy a pen we see 2 to 3 models then we check which is smooth physically and buy, we don’t buy just because they say it is smooth for writing every pen manufacturer says they are smooth to write. At least I and many others do the same because we try to get understanding for what we pay.

1 Like

To whom they told software not ready? To forums or sales teams? Not surely to customers. Was it there in the email when they sent payment link? Some one told you before you are going for registration. Hiding something is cheating only. Not always customers need to ask all questions.

You can try/buy a pen for 5 rupees, 10 rupees, but parker pen with 500 rupees you cant try, because it comes in sealed pack and you need to go by brand and the features advertised by company.

They did not force, but they advertised and said features which they did not give, but taken full amount + asking extra for subscription. Half baked product for testing from customers.

expansion and sales is good for company and sales people but not for customers.

as simple as this, 1.15 lacs TVS electric bike also giving smart features life time free. People like me opted for Ather with more expectations as we are paying more.

2 Likes

Just to add on to this, I took delivery of my Series 1 on Dec 26th and at the showroom I enquired about the CONNECT services (not to one but two different guys). Neither one informed that there is a glitch in software and it would be best NOT to make a payment now; despite me enquiring why the app is rated so low in the Google PlayStore. In fact they encouraged me to buy the services, and they informed that it will be activated within 24hours… Once I realized that some of the features from CONNECT PRO is not working, I have been following-up with Ather team through the app and on the customer care number.

The first mail response to me was that I need to restart the vehicle and reinstall the app on my phone, instead of admitting that this is an ongoing issue, I was led to think that I’m the only facing this issue!!! This is continuing even as of yesterday when I called their call centre, I was informed that they’re checking if my CONNECT PRO services has been activated properly.

My only question to Ather Team is why not be upfront with your customers about this issue, considering the fact everyone of your customers believe not just in the product but also the approach to market (except for this one!). Look at your customers defending the brand, despite the fact that they’re also facing the same issue!!!

End of the day, I was disappointed that I was asked to pay for something and it is not working. It is even more disappointing to know that this is a known issue, and instead of owning it up, they’re letting customers make multiple follow-ups on this!

6 Likes

Yes, it is right that the services promised are not working fully. As per the payment of the connect plans is concerned, till OTA update rolls out,the payment towards the plans would be adjusted. So the point of worrying about the payment of the plans is taken care of. Every detail is there on the forum. Any person who is willing to spend the kind of money which Ather takes would also be the kind to do all the research.Promises are not fulfilled but will soon be. Cheating is a very strong word.

1 Like

Mod Note:

The forum is an open platform to exchange viewpoints and ideas without any prejudice. Sometimes the posts may not align with individual views or biases but there is no reason to call something inappropriate unless the language used is unacceptable per community standards or the posts targeted an individual.

Everyone is free to express their views!. This is what makes the forum interactive!.

15 Likes

Perfectly said…

2 Likes

Why do u feel inappropriate? Forum is to discuss everything, anything related to Ather. No one can help u u are not able accept the truth

Not sure whats your problem here…!

Not asking Ather to do anything for free, they charged premium 1.89 lacs amount for scooter. They have to deliver

12 Likes

Yes of course this a open forum and no one can say that yours or any others opinion or concerns are inappropriate unless inappropriate language is used.

I respect your opinion but even though I respect it I cannot agree with your word cheating as per my opinion. As I am spending lot of money, before paying to them I have checked each and every feature which is delivered not delivered and what is the performance of it and every aspect of it and knowing the software issues I bought the product. So I know what is not available in the delivered product so I don’t use the word cheating they gave me all details clearly (not the clear time lines though).

But I strongly stand by your side that the software features are not delivered and as I expressed my opinion on this earlier Ather should now at least come out now after their break time and answer everyone with a firm time line for delivering the software. Rather than giving those “soon” “sooner” “couple of days” “couple of weeks”. That way assure the customers and deliver within that time line.

Also not feb is feb last day march first day kind of time lines.

In my opinion they are not cheating because they are not hiding by not providing test drives.If they do so(not showing production vehicle) then it is cheating.

They are providing test drives on production vehicle so they cannot hide that as a software bluetooth is not available and software has few issues. We can check properly as we are spending lot of money there is no answer if a question of why should I check arrives. Just because it is our valuable money.

6 Likes

Check subscription details , any one can understand cheating.

Basic usage of mobile app also need subscription.

We will get this features if we go with subscription. The ad says Scooter to Smart scooter, they need to say scooter to smart scooter with expensive 1.89 lacs and subscription also

Test drive, discussions everytime they highlighted smart features , never said about subscription.

• Onboard Navigation
    • Over-the-air Dashboard Improvements
    • Push Location from Ather App
    • Ride Statistics on the Ather App
    • Remote Location Tracking
    • Remote Charge Monitoring
4 Likes

I bought a "smart"phone which costs about 80k, but without buying a sim card and paying for data, its not any smarter from a basic android device. The 450X is smart, even without the connect plans, which are optional. Paying extra for those added features is a personal preference, which one can decide for themselves.

All the features you’ve listed, are working. I love the scooter, love it more each day!

9 Likes

The smartphone company makes it clear that you need a cell subscription and a SIM card to make calls on it.

Unlike your analogy, a lot of features that were touted as the USPs of the scooter have been locked behind 2 doors now, and at the time of purchase, you aren’t made aware that there’s another door behind the first door where the advertised fun stuff is hidden.

This isn’t technically cheating, but it’s a sign of greed, reminding me of EA and their microtransactions. Companies adopting cash grab tactics are headed in the wrong direction.

Just because you’ve forced yourself to like something doesn’t mean it’s all good.

5 Likes

This is on the homepage of the Ather website. I’m not sure if you read through the page. I just don’t feel Ather was hiding/cheating about anything. Some have missed reading through, is what I feel.

I’m refering to the 450X Series 1. The “Collector’s Edition” perks were made out to be something special, but only after receiving the scooter did I find out the hard way that Connect features required a separate purchase. This was not mentioned anywhere during the time of purchase. If this is not a bait and switch tactic, I don’t know what is.

On top of all this, the product I received feels shoddy. You cannot justify collecting full price and delivering a half baked product. If your response to this is to point the customer towards an onion full of fine print, then you’re no better than any other greedy corporation out there, and should stop pretending to be different.

6 Likes

I do not work for Ather, I’m just another owner of 450X Series 1, and I spent enough time on understanding on what I’m getting for the price I’m paying. I don’t feel any facts were hidden before the time of purchase, also there was enough time to reconsider on the purchase decision in case I didn’t agree on what I was getting for the money I’m paying. I really understand some of your frustrations, and I feel these issues will be solved in recent future. I hope you get a better resolution.

When I say “you”, I mean it as a figure of speech. It’s directed towards Ather.

While there are no outright lies, there are quite a few errors and omissions in Ather’s literature. By not proof reading it thoroughly, they open themselves up to all kinds of accusations and criticism. Their focus needs to be on fixing all of these on a war footing instead of hoping that their fanbase will come to their rescue. I’m saying this as a fan of what Ather used to be.

While I have no doubt that the issues with my scooter will eventually get fixed, these should not have been presend in the first place. It shows a serious lack of QC on their part. In some regards, while the price has gone steeply up, quality has come noticeably down. You won’t realize these things by reading stuff online, but only after completing the purchase and experiencing the product for some time, at which point it’s already too late.

Also, I’m curious; can you point me to where on the main site it says that the advertised Bluetooth features are not available yet?

7 Likes

These features displayed prominently on the homepage: where exactly are they?

6 Likes

This I agree is a lapse on Ather’s part. Should have communicated better. And only the software update will help.

1 Like

This is just one of many lapses, and until they are all fixed, any criticism is fully justified.

The responses on this thread defending Ather seem to gloss over these and sound pretty condescending to the OP and others in general, reminding me of the Cult of Apple.

6 Likes

Hey @blackworks another thing you need to be aware that this thread is not visible to general public. It is ONLY visible to OTHER OWNERS. And this kind of discussion is not new! If you search forum you will find at least 10 more similar instances. Since it was not visible for you as a potential customer you had high expectations. Had those threads been visible to you you wouldn’t have made the purchase right now!

8 Likes

Good point @ranganathsb , although I didn’t begin to poke around the forums until after the purchase to figure out if someone documented something about the Bluetooth issue. That’s when I realized what an epic cluster this entire 450X situation was.

I can totally empathize with people who don’t have the time and energy to look under every rock and take the company’s claims at face value, only to be disappointed later. The fanboyish responses to these criticsms makes me even madder.

5 Likes