Installing the Ather Dot

You could have used the DOT like a portable charger. Take it out when you need it and when done just wrap it up and put into a shelf/cupboard.

1 Like

Will the under seat storage area accommodate the DOT charger? If yes, we can lug it around until Ather replenishes the stock of portable charger.

I think it would fit. But, if you’re in Bangalore, don’t plan for this. One ride is enough to damage the DOT with countless potholes.

Installation scheduled for Ather Dot tomorrow any tips to look at??

Better to have a socket, it’ll be easier for installation

1 Like

Congrats on your new flight. Below are few points I have observed.

• Standard Installation is of 5 meters from the connection point (INR 150 for extra meter)
  • If socket is already available make sure it’s not less than 6A with proper earthing.
  • Surface of the installation area, flat or uneven
  • Recommended height is 1.5 Meters from the floor.
  • The charging cable from the Dot is 2 Meters long, so plan accordingly to reach your vehicle charging dock.
  • Rest will be taken care by Ather Technician.
2 Likes

There are so many firsts in this community. But the names are repetitive. Why don’t you try it out and let us know? :wink:

I have been using the portable charger since December to charge my friend’s scooter, which i borrowed indefinitely. Got tired of putting it to socket and taking out the cable through window and undoing in the morning and neatly packing it. I asked for authentication of this scooter against my DOT charger but looks like it is difficult task and Ather team is taking its own sweet time to flip the switch (or add the entry in the database :slight_smile: )

Using the light of a 450 to fit an Ather Dot.

5 Likes

Received dot yesterday.

Called local electrician and got it installed today morning before leaving to work.

Installed the Dot in a detachable way so that I need not worry about thefts. I can attach and plug it to the 450 whenever required.

4 Likes

Detachable…good idea.

1 Like

Good idea.

Even I was worried to fix it on the parking area which the building gate is only 5 feet high.

But with confidence I went ahead with the instruction manual with help of electrician as no one would understand what it is :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah but it’s better to take precautions when it’s not too late.:laughing:

1 Like

Looks awesome. It would be great if you put out the bill of materials. Like part name and costs for setup. This will help Others interested in this kind of installation.:+1:

1 Like

Do you live in an apartment? Just curious why you felt it would be unsafe to have the charger permanently installed on the wall?

Asking because a lot of Bangalore owners have had their installed permanently in Apartment parking spots or their individual homes and I have now come across a theft report yet. Besides no one would be able to use that charger without authentication.

1 Like

I stay with my aunt(she owns the building) in first floor. The problem is we don’t have a big enough gate(anyone can easily jump into), also I have seen may theft reports recently in my area. So just wanted to make sure of the safety of my charger.

I agree to the fact that someone else can’t use the charger without authentication. It also doesn’t mean that in case of thefts they are going to return when they can’t use it.

Some children like to goof around near the corridor, so wanted to make sure that they are safe from it and also avoid unnecessary attention.

Extra things needed are:

1. 6A socket. I used a 16A(just to be future proof) socket with MCB which costed INR600. Might reduce your cost if you go for 5A socket which costs around INR150.
  2. 1.5sqmm wires(length as per requirement). I used 1 meter wires which was about INR40.

Other materials I used was from whatever was available with the Ather DOT.

Also INR300 for the electrician, which you could avoid if you are very familiar with home wiring and are confident with it, but I highly discourage taking the wires into your hands even if you have some electrical knowledge. Either you can ask Ather installation people to do installation in this way(if they are okay with that) if you have opted for Ather expert installation. Or you can take help of your local electrician.

Overall including the charge for the electrician you’ll spend around INR500(again depends on how your electrician charges you for installation and considering that you go for a 5A normal socket instead of 16A one).

2 Likes

Yeah, but we have a dragon who always sleeps unchained and people dare to cross our house :sweat_smile: so I’m relaxed :relaxed: :innocent:

5 Likes

Today installed

my dot

2 Likes

Congrats!

The position of Dot is too high. I think you should park the vehicle adjacent to the wall to charge your flight.

1 Like