Installing the Ather Dot

A post was merged into an existing topic: Help convince our apartment association

Wanted to get clarified about this with other owners. Ather dot was installed on Tuesday and technician said BESCOM will not object not to worry, the same was expressed by local electrician. Now one of the BESCOM engineer called me and said we cannot put a line in the main line/board as it may become tampering of the metre. Please guide me, I have attached some pictures for your reference.

1 Like

This is my setup since March 2019 and not once has the BESCOM meter readers even bothered asking what that Green and Yellow wires are for.

Only if you tap a wire from the meter itself would it be tampering. Any tap done after the meter is not a problem.

3 Likes

Can you share the complete photo if possible, from where the wires have been connected, is it coming from behind the metre like mine ??

1 Like

I need to know dot installation process in case buildings/societies where all meters are situated in a meter/electrical room. How to draw wire from our meter in meter room upto the parking space? If anyone has done this, pls send some pictures too.

3 Likes

Here you go.

The wires are tapped from the output of my main MCB (after the meter) and routed via a PVC duct from underneath the meter box.

In fact you can see the WiFi switch too that sits on the left side of the box (first photo).

5 Likes

Thank you so much !!

Would be nice if anyone can share any information on such type of installation. I would have a similar issue.

Also, how does one protect the Dot from misuse? Like, my Dot would be installed in my building premises. Is there any function stopping anyone else other than me, from using my Dot charger? Does it need authentication? I haven’t seen any, from all the videos I’ve watched. Would appreciate some insights from users who stay in buildings, and have Dot installed in public parking spaces.

All Ather charging points. Irrespective of where theyre installed have an authentication procedure before starting to charge yh scooter. Your particular Ather dot charger will charge only and only your scooter. By default your dot will be linked to only your scooter. If you check your charger. The upper 4 links are for authentication only.

In case you’d like to let a friend charge at your dot, that is also possible. You’d have to send an email to Ather and they’d do it in a few hours. Basically it’s safe to install it in an open space. Won’t protect you from vandalism but will definitely protect you from energy theft.

4 Likes

That’s pretty awesome to know! Thanks @Suraj_madhu !

Now, gotta figure how I can stop the kids in the building from messing with the Dot haha!

1 Like

Need to buily a protective case of metal sheet or something. @TheHairMonster R u from Pune?

Engage the apartment owners association. Wiring should be take. From the meter box via a conduit up to your parking spot. The dot can be connected to a 16a 3pin socket (because the prongs only fit a 16a size socket) or directly to a junction box. Either way, make sure there is an MCB to isolate the pod from the meter box.

All home charging point authenticate with the scooter. Your scooter needs to be linked to the pod for it to charge your scooter. If a friend or relative wants to charge their vehicle using your pod, you’ll need to call support and ask the. Re-map the pod to the other vehicle.

1 Like

I’m from Mumbai, sir!

If the kids can mess with your charger they can mess with your scooter too :stuck_out_tongue: I wish first party insurance covered the Dot too :stuck_out_tongue: at least as an option (AFAIK it doesn’t )

1 Like

@raghav.srinivasan Thanks a lot for your inputs, this will help a lot!

Haha that’s so true man. Ima get a cover for the scooter for sure! People would definitely meddle with something that’s alien to their eyes. The scooter and the Dot, both will work up their curiousity!

1 Like

I just moved to a newly developed society, and it’s completion certificate is not done yet. Also, society formation is pending.

So, I’ll have to take permission from developer for the dot installation. Don’t know if he will allow it or not.

You know my concern is, that even though this whole installation process is so simple and clean, there will be people who’d mess with me, cos it’s so new to them. They tend to get hostile about things which are done individually. Like “Kal agar sab log lagayenge, toh hum sabko kaisa allow karenge” type of stupid argument, you know?

4 Likes

:joy: that happens a lot. And Pune people are so good in these type of arguments

1 Like

Surprisingly same argument at my earlier apartment complex in Bangalore. They instead ended up providing common charging points for EVs, which I was able to use with a portable charger.

Also, since the building was nearing completion, they didn’t have a mechanism to log usage of the charging points yet to bill me, so I had free charging for many months.

5 Likes