Home Charging

We are in India and there is not sufficient power to provide 24/7 from Govt, In area where I live there is frequent power cut and I have to rely on UPS power most of the time.
Not sure how to get this resolved as the charger is a super sensitive to power issues and Im not sure how ather can address this as it should be a simple way around to charge a scooter .
@Shreyas is there a plan to make life easier for people to charge their scooter to design a better charger that can be used anywhere irrespective of the earthing just like charging a cell phone.

1 Like

Are both points on common ground?

Not sure whether you have multi meter with you… If yes, you may check following in UPS socket. 1) AC voltage 2) Line to Earth Voltage 3) Neutral to Earth Voltage.

Yes, charger is sensitive in terms of voltage and leakage current. I guess this is more of safety rather than anything else.

Note, unless home charger is loaded, UPS will not trip.

1 Like

Yes they are on common ground .

I donot see charger turning off after charge is complete, anyone else facing this issue? Today morning charge was completed by 5 Am however when I went to see at 9 am it was showing as charging whereas battery percentage was already 100

At one point of time you will have to see ‘Charging Done’.

Point is that after 80% , it will change the charging mode to ‘very slow charging’. Probably takes around hour and half or two to reach 100%. Even after attaining 100% , it will be in trickle charging mode where it will turn on once in a while so as to compensate self discharge of the battery.

Do not worry, all these are taken care by BMS (Battery Management Service) of the vehicle.

2 Likes

If that is the case then no worries, thank you

I don’t have a multimeter to check though. I may have to get it tested.As I do not have any issues with other sensitive equipments never bothered to check this.
Voltage from UPS is steady and regulated as its a network UPS from APC that is being used , not sure about leakage current ,any suggestions to check potential causes of leakage currents .

1 Like

Can we get details of power units consumed in Ather app for a particular period from home charger and Ather grid separately?

I would suggest you be prepared before pre-order with below things.

1. You need to check if your hostel power point has grounding done correctly.

2. How far is the parking space from your room

3. If possible keep record of all the electricity bill before you get bike so you can personally track the changes. (easy to defend if there is any argument on electricity bill)

The more and better ready you are with your plans it will be easy for Ather to complete the work and you can get your bike faster.

Advantages of extension cord and portable charger its just plug and play. Only distance between power source to vehicle and grounding issue in the power source will matter.

I too stay in rented house so I had already made my plan to get extension cord and I just took portable charger from Ather.

Hope this helps… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

you can check with these guys https://solarify.in/ I am not sure how far it will be helpful.

They have installed solar power in Ather Experience center… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where are you put up in Bengaluru? You may borrow multi meter if you wish so. I am in Bannerghatta Road, behind IIMB.

Usually these parameters will be checked during Home Charging point installation and Ather ensures these are within. Guess your UPS connection was not up during their installation time, otherwise I am sure they would have advised you on fixes.

3 Likes

Any idea about this?

I live in Vidyaranyapura, when the installation guys came there was no power and had single phase power due to heavy rains ,even installation of charger was done with the help of UPS power to run the drill gun.

Thanks for the help @rajeshkav , I guess I got a similar issue faced posted in one of the forum with similar setup as mine except that its a 48 volts system as below

May be I have a similar issue here at my house.

When I plug the charger connected to UPS point when main BESCOM power is fed to the UPS the charger turns green, if I turn off the BESCOM power to the UPS it turns red. Mine is a Line interactive UPS when BESCOM power is fed to the UPS ,only the Auto voltage regulator part works and hence the charger turns green , when BESCOM power is disconnected to the input of UPS the charger turns RED.

As per advice from installation guys , the only thing they tell is not to use UPS, and our office team has told us not to connect to UPS.

We need to have a way to charge a scooter via UPS/inverter provided it is has sufficient power to charge the vehicle… Designers at Ather should have a simpler solution to overcome this issue .

2 Likes

Okay, all the best… Let me know when the issue gets solved. I find this issue very interesting.

@Ather.Team is there a manual that explains the various installation scenarios to install the home charger and best practice guide of some sort that explains the errors seen on home charger (green and red light indication )instead of running around to get a solution.Highly sensitive charger is increasingly becoming painful and inability to charge when on UPS too, any solutions guidelines would be helpful .

1 Like

was asking about it here but are you sure this is the only way or our intelligent scooter can know the power utilised from each source separately whether in app only owners got any idea about this

I dont think Ather app can give you the power consumed while charging , these energy meters are used to measure the exact wattage consumed by an electrical appliance in realtime. @rajeshkav your inputs please.

1 Like

Ather keeps track of the power usage as it’s used for the Ather One reimbursement. The data is already there, only a question of “if & when” Ather can make it available to the owner on a on-demand basis instead of the quarterly email reimbursement notifications.

2 Likes

One small clarification needed ASAP from fellow Ather Owners charging at home regularly like @hemanth.anand!
Does the cooling fan stay on throughout the charging process (10%-100%) while charging at Ather Home Pod…? As my vehicle cooling fan located near the dashboard was on all the time while charging!
TIA
RGT