Green Initiatives

I had no idea about the synthetic cloth material. That is an eye opener!

2 Likes

Yes, these days most of the clothes are mixed with polyester, rayon etc. Hence look for 100% cotton, it makes a lot of a difference and also os good for the skin.

2 Likes

This documentary was really a eye opener… really great…:+1:

We need to spread this to as many people as possible…

1 Like

Worth reading article

2 Likes

Video worth watching…

We should have some initiatives like this

4 Likes

Hey ! I was thinking of going on rides to promote EV’s among other people and also at the end of the ride, we can probably plant tree saplings at a few places (?)

3 Likes

@manoranjan.113 @arvind_nair any recommendations on where to buy eco-friendly or organic clothing

1 Like

Desi Shop, I shop here often

https://goo.gl/maps/7MLxzP8nnE4vJg9d7

http://www.desitrust.com/

5 Likes

In Bangalore, you can go to:-

1. Go Native (Jayanagar or HSR). Variety of brands here. Limited collection but you can check the brand that interest you there online as well.

2. Korra Jeans- organic jeans with significantly lesser water use. (if you didn’t know a pair of jeans takes over 80 litres of water to be made). They take your measurements and make you the perfect fit. You can find their shop at Blue Tokai, Koramangala,

Online:-

1. No Nasties- 100% organic clothing. They even use coconut shells for buttons. Completely vegan. Fair trade. You buy their clothes, they plan a tree on your behalf for each item.
  2. B Label (clothing made of hemp - low water consumption, UV resisting, strong fibre, good for the encironment)- highly recommended.

Will add more here if I missed any but this is a good start :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

@rajeshkav

I love the idea of green building and reuse of old material.

We all talk about and aspire to do such things. Kudos to you for implementing it.

Would love to visit your house.

Along with the other recommendations you can also try.

1.) Cotton World: Clothes are made of organic cotton sourced directly from cotton farmers. Even the tags as well as the paper bags they use are made of Rhino/Elephant poop and are compostable. I usually go to the one in Phoenix Marketcity they have pretty decent collection and the cost is also at par with other shirts/tshirts.

2.) Fab India: They are at a lot of places in Bangalore but I felt they have higher variety of Linen Shirts which can be a bit expensive as right from the shirts to the printing is done by hands and using natural dyes and fabrics. In fact I was there yesterday as my wife wanted to do some shopping.

For all my activewear need I am searching for a local store but in the meantime I buy it online here: https://bambootribe.com/ the clothes are made of bamboo and they also feel amazing when you wear them and are also budget friendly.

Last but not the least, you can loom for Khadi Gram Udyog stores, these are directly run by the government through a third party. There are few stores in Bangalore as well. They also sell Soaps, Shampoos which are SLS, Paraben Free and has natural ingredients.

2 Likes

planning to here at our around 4pm

anyone interested top join…?

1 Like

There’s one in Malleshwaram. Basavangudi might be far for you.

ok

I am joining dada… :smiley:

For active wear, I suggest avoiding bamboo based clothing. It seems the dyeing process involved is quite polluting. Suggest an alternative–Soulspace. Have both organic cotton and recycled polyester. Buy the former, avoid the latter as it still causes microplastics to enter water on washing.

3 Likes

vote for

chetan

8 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks dada that was small Green shopping in Desi Shop…

Don’t vote for me vote for cleaner and greener environment… :smiley:

I know it’s little too late… But considering it takes hardly 30 minutes, your kids can try to make it and feel they contributed to Eco friendly Ganesha… They will ensure we won’t buy POP based Ganesha next time…

Reference video:

Note: We made this video to be used as reference for kids activity in an orphanage… Forgive the quality

What my kid could make in 30 minutes:

8 Likes