DiY mount for Portable Charger

Why some DOT chargers are still sold with PRCD and some not? If they had some issue with it than i think Ather should mention it officially. if its a cost cutting plan than i think for charger worth 19K there should be some alternate safety device provided along with it.

2 Likes

I think @power_light2000 would be better placed to comment on this since I frankly am no expert at this, but if you scroll up, you’ll read that the PRCD possibly is not a critical component for safety, and an RCCB has always been a better alternative:

4 Likes

there are no AC lines passing to the scooter, what charges your scooter is DC power, a prcd device cannot detect ac pass-through after conversion, this will be the prime reason for what I said here

1 Like

Can’t get this correctly…A PRCD is something which lets in the AC current and then it passes through the rectifier which rectifies the current and then it is passed through the scooter…This is the mechanism right?..

2 Likes

In layman’s terms yes, ac in to prcd then out to dot/apc which does the all of the work of rectification and sends proper current to Ather. Here is the part i say is useless if used a prcd. The board will most of the time have a MOV and other critical component which filters line input and sends ac current to bridge rectifier so here stops the work of ac input.

A prcd is a current protection if anyone ever comes inbetween this section from ac to dot or apc he would be protected which is highly unlikely. Prcd are usually good for using it a devices like water gysers or hotpots, electric stove where the chances of human interaction is highly likely in-between ac current or leakage of current and prcd can save a life.

But here in DOT or apc there is no interaction of ac line.

6 Likes

Ohh!!Fine…Understood :+1:

The reason they mite have used a PRCD is the DOT charger uses a Metal frame at the back/inside and the AC input cable is attached to it. Just in case if there are any cracks or loose connection in the wire it mite help.

1 Like

Any kind of loose connection cannot be sensed in prcd, even if shorts for a sec, the mcb will trip rather than prcd. I hope this puts the topic to the end.

3 Likes

A leakage of current/loose connections & flows through the metal plate at the back and a human contact which is grounded it should work. Same what you mentioned for other appliances. Here the PRCD is used as a Safety device for Human, not the charger.

Just because you asked here is a topic where I have replaced the factory AC input wire to after-market,

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/poor-quality-of-portable-charger-ac-wire-used/25026/11?u=power_light2000

not possible, it’s because of the spade connector, it fits extremely tight. it’s insulated.

the yellow ceramic cap will be usually a MOV(Metal Oxide Varistor)

it goes through a gland like this where individual wires are separated in the holes and then placed in epoxy to hold them together and the metal part of the body is grounded.

if there is a stray current, usually, MOV will take care of it by sending it to ground. and if there is a loose connection and it touches the plate the PRCD and MCB will trip, and if there is no PRCD then MCB will definitely trip.

3 Likes

Maybe a lame question, in a scenario of varying fluctuating power, is it anywhere suggested to use a stabilizer for a portable charger?

No, don’t use a power stabilizer for resistive load. Stabilizer are meant for inductive loads like motors and suddenly high pull current loads. If your area experience a lot of voltage fluctuations use Stabilizer that is made for inverter load. This is also not recommended but will have to do. As i said in previous post most line filtering is done in the APC so there is nothing to worry- backed by 3 year warranty which they might deny.

1 Like

I am not able to find a box with these dimensions (so that I can fit my portable charger easily) in my area (Mumbai). Can someone please help me with the dimensions of this box or a link to purchase this?

Now a days rectifiers come in form of ic’s the place wer u have written wer is the rectifiers ther is a component beside the inductor. Jst remove the epoxy n check the part number. It will have 4 lead.

1 Like

Thank you and welcome to 2023, already did that and created a almost full schematics of the board, cannot paste here its bound by copyrights

2 Likes

Cool im new to this forum. Bought 450x 2weeks ago. :v:t2:

I want to extend the port/socket side of charger towards Ather, I am thinking to cut the wire from my dot charger and extend the output side of the charger to 10 meters, Whats your suggestion friends?

Highly not recommended, as Ather will try to deny warranty to your scooter.

Using an extension box is recommended. If you still need this to be done, on the socket side, unscrew the plug and extend the wire from that side, if you are unfamiliar with electricals, kindly get it done by a qualified electrician.

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/poor-quality-of-portable-charger-ac-wire-used/25026/11?u=power_light2000

Can refer to the first half of the post on how to do it properly.

2 Likes

Please let me know where to purchase this product, I am also staying in hyderabad

which sintex model and size? How did you get the Ather grid black color (paint?)?