DiY mount for Portable Charger

I got mine 3 days back and it has pcrd

2 Likes

Which city did you get from? Are dealers taking out the prcd and replacing it with plugs???

2 Likes

Can any other new Ather owner confirm?

3 Likes

I had got my Ather 450X delivery in September and the charger did have a prcd and not some cheap plug

1 Like

Ather officially confirmed that due to cost cutting they are using this low quality plug

4 Likes

Anyway, prcd was a waste of money, I mean it was useful in gen 1 scooters, but with DOT and APC in the DC converter takes most of the safety functions, except for Surge protection but even PRCD cannot protect against that. It’s better to have a proper RCCB installed in the Main box to take care of the protection, for devices.

4 Likes

Get it changed bro.

1 Like

Metal Version of the Ather Wall Mount

1 Like

Metal Version of the Ather Wall Mount on Amazon

I got the Gen 3 yesterday in Mumbai and I too got the same plug as @paulvarghesep97. On inquiring, the executive mentioned that they used to receive a lot of complaints about the plug. I suspect if that’s true but yeah, a proper confirmation and a reason from Ather would be nice.

1 Like

But why would they remove the PRCD? It was a very important component to safeguard against the battery. Should we use a RCCB now? Why is safety comprised for the cost of 19k?

PRCD is a portable RCD.

2 Likes

Why some DOT chargers are still sold with PRCD and some not? If they had some issue with it than i think Ather should mention it officially. if its a cost cutting plan than i think for charger worth 19K there should be some alternate safety device provided along with it.

2 Likes

I think @power_light2000 would be better placed to comment on this since I frankly am no expert at this, but if you scroll up, you’ll read that the PRCD possibly is not a critical component for safety, and an RCCB has always been a better alternative:

4 Likes

there are no AC lines passing to the scooter, what charges your scooter is DC power, a prcd device cannot detect ac pass-through after conversion, this will be the prime reason for what I said here

1 Like

Can’t get this correctly…A PRCD is something which lets in the AC current and then it passes through the rectifier which rectifies the current and then it is passed through the scooter…This is the mechanism right?..

2 Likes

In layman’s terms yes, ac in to prcd then out to dot/apc which does the all of the work of rectification and sends proper current to Ather. Here is the part i say is useless if used a prcd. The board will most of the time have a MOV and other critical component which filters line input and sends ac current to bridge rectifier so here stops the work of ac input.

A prcd is a current protection if anyone ever comes inbetween this section from ac to dot or apc he would be protected which is highly unlikely. Prcd are usually good for using it a devices like water gysers or hotpots, electric stove where the chances of human interaction is highly likely in-between ac current or leakage of current and prcd can save a life.

But here in DOT or apc there is no interaction of ac line.

6 Likes

Ohh!!Fine…Understood :+1:

The reason they mite have used a PRCD is the DOT charger uses a Metal frame at the back/inside and the AC input cable is attached to it. Just in case if there are any cracks or loose connection in the wire it mite help.

1 Like

Any kind of loose connection cannot be sensed in prcd, even if shorts for a sec, the mcb will trip rather than prcd. I hope this puts the topic to the end.

3 Likes

A leakage of current/loose connections & flows through the metal plate at the back and a human contact which is grounded it should work. Same what you mentioned for other appliances. Here the PRCD is used as a Safety device for Human, not the charger.