Discussions on pricing and subscriptions

Hello Abhishek Thanks for your clarification, But in customer perspective Ather should think about it that, customers are not business entity they are not using their scooter for business purposes, since they are already paying for data for their mobile, then why should they pay extra for scooter connectivity, why can’t Ather simple put a wifi module in scooter and allows them to use their existing data plans via hotspot sharing or using home wifi, Ather should save all, data in memory and sync it when it’s connect, regarding OTA let’s I buy windows os from Microsoft they are not charging me on any security patches or any minor fixes in the os, so you shouldn’t because Ather selling the product to masses not a handful of customers ( it’s make more sense to charge for OTA if you sell it to very small amount of customer).

6 Likes

I fully agree with this

From what I understand, they’re not really charging for OTA updates. They charge for data usage when you use navigation features on the scooter.

Without a data connection, you can’t see live scooter status on the app (battery level/charging status, range) and ride stats probably won’t get synced. Even sending a location to the scooter or updating documents to the dashboard will not be possible.

In the newer OTA updates that are coming up, the app won’t be able to alert you if the charge level has gone too low.

Basically, the app is quite useless. And you’ll have to use the scooter, assuming your battery has lost X% of charge overnight or in the office parking lot. And with no idea of how you’re riding, you’re probably going to be concerned if you lose a lot of charge over a ride.

Are data services free for the 1st year for those who have pre-ordered 450x?

Well, we already have the data in mobile, and if we parked at home it’s always connected to home or office wifi so, in my case it’s always connected 90% time for rest 10% I can manage instead of buy extra data pack

1 Like

Like @crispypoppadom mentioned, it’s not jus the cost of data, but all features need us to work on continuous development of updates, and maintain cloud infrastructure to support these features. We will not be able to do this without the monthly subscription fee. You can opt to not take any subscription plan and still use the scooter, but won’t be able to use any of the smart features which would need connectivity.

1 Like

Finding a WiFi network in your home/office parking lot is truly rare. We’ve found most of our customers park in their basements and there’s no WiFi network there.

1 Like

No. If you’ve pre-ordered before the unveil on 28th, you’ll get 1 year of free servicing.

When there are no smart features why will one pay such a big amount of more than 1.5 L for just a scooter. Kindly rethink your monthly subscription idea as that will be one big reason to hesitate on opting for 450X

1 Like

The reason why we built the 450 or the 450X was that we wanted to built a scooter that was leagues apart from what ‘conventional’ vehicles did. The 450 did it quite well and with the 450X, we’ve raised the benchmark unbelievably high for every scooter maker -petrol or EV. It for the first time in the history that the best scooter in the country is an Electric vehicle. Be it Performance, Convenience, Safety, Technology or , most importantly, Intelligence, there in no other scooter that does it all as well as the 450X today.

Still, we wanted to make sure that this product remains accessible for as many people as possible. the only thing is that we cannot price this beautiful product at a lesser price (This has been explained here https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/live-ama-2-saturday-1-february/5298/108?u=saurabh_sharma)

So, we’ve tried to keep the upfront price almost the same as a ‘conventional’ scooter and the subscription price almost at the price of the petrol of a ‘conventional’ vehicle. All this, so that we can make our ‘unconventional’ product accessible to as many people as possible.

2 Likes

May I know which conventional scooter cost 1.7L price and number of scooter travellers filling petrol for 2K/Month? :thinking:

5 Likes

Upfront subscription price = 99k (Most conventional scooters after BS6)

1 Like

99K is okay, but 2K/month will only beneficial for who ride near 50km daily

1 Like

Not really, It’s actually beneficial for those who can’t care less to keep the charge level between the 20-80%, who want to use the fast charging Ather Grid every time and don’t have much control of where they park, especially if it’s in a wide parking lot in the hot sun every day. Then, maybe, just maybe, the battery will degrade to less than 80% in 2-3 years, and you can get a free replacement.

If you buy the scooter + battery, you get 3 years warranty on the battery even if you do 50kms per day.

But, trust me, if you buy an Ather, you’ll want to take really good care of it! :joy: so what I personally find more sensible is to buy the scooter as a whole. There’s barely anyone who’s noticed a reduction in range in the past 9-12 months of ownership. Also, this is the older battery. I’m sure the new battery they’ve used in the X is more durable.

5 Likes

Thats true, me also not interested in the blind subscription plans.
But Im confused about the overall expense with similar or high peformance ICE vehicle.
Ref : https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/discussions-on-pricing-and-subscriptions/5281/59

Agreed. But then, you should ask yourself if you really want it. The 450 gives you an experience that makes your vehicle almost like a gadget and less of a commute. I know it sounds stupid and naive, but I actually look forward to riding the 450 whenever I can. It’s just so much fun to ride! The ability to zoom so fast and put all the other vehicles to shame, being different from the rest of the vehicles on the road and looking damn cool, hence grabbing eyeballs, stopping at a signal and hearing words like ‘electric’ and ‘battery gaadi’ in conversation. Riding a little extra on a trip like 20-30+ Kms and not having a backache or feeling sore because the suspension is so good. The ease of putting my large helmet in the boot space so I don’t have to carry it along everywhere I go. So many other smaller advantages like this that make your life easier. And you’re doing all this on clean fuel!

6 Likes

Yes, I too like to have the different or the 450 experience.
But I dont know how many times or how much it is enjoyable in the city traffic :triumph:
In the end of day when counting how much you spend for this also matters.
Even 450 (not x) is also premium vehicle it is okay with its plan and cost.
With 450x it is going out of limit for scooter, whatever its called premium or out of world, what we getting is similar to ICE vehicle with very few advantages as clean fuel and better pickup.

Hey… Check this out
This may be more sensible if it happens.

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/450x-product-technical-discussions/5401/36?u=sumanth1998

1 Like

Dont have big hope, as they said they are selling 450 itself in loss.
Anyways wishing no increase in upfront and have subscription plan based on km you ride.
Current 2k for daily 50 x 30 = 1500 km/unlimited in month and new ones below 1k for daily 20 x 30 = 600 km, and option to purchase daily pack under Rs50 if they want more

1 Like

Also keep in mind lithium battery prices will keep reducing every year. So once again replacing battery will become cheaper and cheaper compared to subscription plans

3 Likes