Charging habits

Hi everyone & @abhishek.balaji I m very new to Ather a week ago took delivery of 450X , I have 2 doubts please anyone can help me with these ?

1-whats is good charging habits in % wise because my daily travel will be 32km and I am charging daily from 50% to 80% will it be safe ? Will it effect chrage cycles ?

2- Why sports mode is less power and torque as compared to Ride mode ? Anyone else facing the same ?

10 Likes

Hi, welcome to Ather family.

Yes, this pattern is good.

Some people have reported thisā€¦ However it is yet to be confirmed by Ather officially. If it is really true, it may get fixed in the next software update.

15 Likes

This a nice balance for battery degradation as well as to deal with range anxiety. Iā€™d recomend you to do that 50-80% charge before starting your day, maybe early morning. Rather than a charge at the end of the day and leaving it overnight at 80% But I have my doubts if you can get 32Km in 30% charge. If not go up to 84% and just drain it as much as you want that day check out this post
And this Smart Charging - #11 by Suraj_madhu Ather doesnā€™t really have a top buffer ( atleast the 450 doesnā€™t) so itā€™s better to avoid getting close to 100% on a regular basis, And rather go down to 35-40% SoC instead.

7 Likes

No exactly 50% I mean ā€¦ It going up to 45% sometimes dependence on my ride patterns but I m using always WARP mode ā€¦ I want to know from u guys is if I do charging like this daily it will effect to charge cycles ?

7 Likes

Thatā€™s okay. Itā€™s good actually. Itā€™s better to avoid charging to >80% and avoid going <20% thatā€™s it. Thatā€™ll slow your battery degradation.

Well any charge will affect charge cycles. But 50-80 is better than 70-100 Ideal would be 35-65 or 40-70 but that comes with its own share of range anxiety So donā€™t worry.

9 Likes

I am facing less torque (acceleration and pickup) in sports mode as compared to ride mode.

4 Likes

I travel 68 kms dailyā€¦ I prefer Ride. Modeā€¦ With single charge i ride between 35 -38 speed and get 86 kms range. I charge 100% to travel next day

6 Likes

So you charge it to 100 % on daily basis. Any idea about how is the battery health and its degradation ?

4 Likes

Ideally, the battery shouldnā€™t be charged more than 80% and discharged below 20%. Itā€™s called the 20-80-20 charge cycle. It helps in keeping the battery healthy. The battery is at its maximum strain when it is below 20% and charging from 80-100% (thatā€™s why it takes more time).

6 Likes

Thank you Nadeem

4 Likes

Now Iā€™m following 40-80% pattern

4 Likes

What is that patternā€¦ Charge upto 80 from 40 remaining

3 Likes

Yes from 40% to 80 %

3 Likes

Since Ather has limited the battery capacity to 2.6 kWh compared to the battery capacity of 2.9 kWh, wonā€™t it save the battery life even if we charge it to 100% daily because theoretically we are not charging it to its limit.

7 Likes

Hi all, I recently purchased 450x, just had a clarification regarding portable charger.

Due to the theft scare i have this idea of charging my vehicle using portable charger by keeping it under the seat storage.

I tried this and i was able to just keep portable charger inside and both plugs and charging socket outside with seat locked.

Just want to know how safe it is to do this? Will this have an effect on the battery as its near the storage or the vehicle itself?

Appreciate your suggestions

7 Likes

Edit: You meant the portable charger to be underneath seat storage while it is powered on and active. I fear the charger would have heating issues as there wont be any ventilation under seat storage. This could prove fatal and may malfunction the charger, possibility of catching fire due to heat cannot be ruled out

It is always recommended to keep any charger be it mobile or Ather in well ventilated areas

11 Likes

Once you start charging the charger will lock to your bike, you will not be able to remove the charger unless and until you unlock it by turning on the key. No one will be able to steal it once it begins charging.

I would highly recommend you not to put it in the boot and charge due to the heat the chargers generate while charging.

5 Likes

Today got the delivery of 450x so what charging habit should I follow to increase my battery life in long term 20-80 or 40-80 please reply ssom

2 Likes

20-80-20 is the best practice.

4 Likes

Thanks brother :grinning:

2 Likes