Changing Stock Tyres

Anyone else wish that the rear tyre valve should be on the right side than left? absolutely tough to fill air :frowning:

9 Likes

Truly difficult to fill air. I get a look by the guy at the petrol station every single time. But the disc is on the right side and tends to get pretty hot and is a burn risk while filling up air.

10 Likes

I see the same inconvenience continue in 450X too!! This should be changed…

2 Likes

Yes very much. I always feel scared when connecting my pump to valve. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Well I guess inconvenience>injury. It’s just a trade off of having a rear disc break. I don’t know if it can be changed.

1 Like

@hemanth.anand got this changed to a straight valve. He could probably help explain what the experience has been.

2 Likes

it can be. they have to plan to put it on the other side…

I’ve removed the saree guard on my 450. It makes filling air slightly easier.

7 Likes

As I said, :sweat_smile: the other side has the disc brake which tends to get pretty hot and it’s dangerous to put the valve on that side. I straight valve could decrease the problem, but well it is a risk if you end up filling pressure from the right.

1 Like

The issue is seen in Ather 450 because both sides of the small size wheel have something on the hubs. Pulley in left side and disc on the right. No other scooter has disc brakes at the rear. Removing the rear tyre is also hence not as easy as other scooters.This issue is not faced in motorcycles as the wheel diameter is big. So it was a conscious decision by Ather’s Engineers to have the nozzle facing away from the discs. The reason is clearly written by @Suraj_madhu.

It’s the same reason why the nozzle on the front is facing right.

I’m very uncomfortable with something that’s out of symmetry and I always thought the front disc should’ve been on the right and front nozzle facing left. Anyway that’s for another day :slight_smile:

It’s a problem for sure but shifting to the other may not be the best solution. So the best way to fill air at the petrol bunk is to position the scooter so as to have the nozzle to the rear side than on top like in the picture. That’ll give the maximum possible space

Removing the saree guard is also a good option to give more space. That is if no saree clad woman will ever sit one sided on the pillion seat of your scooter.

Yes I did change and now there is no issue for the guy at the petrol bunk to fill air.

But the real reason for me to change was not really lack of space, but I feel that because we apply force in the horizontal direction, the valve moves and I feel it is one of the reasons for faster air pressure reduction that we observe in Athers. As if to reinforce that, After the change to straight valve, air pressure loss has been very slow in my scooter.

With the side one I was also worried that I might injure myself, the straight one has it’s drawback too.

While it is easier for the guy at the petrol bunk, my own air compressor is almost impossible to connect. This is because of the end valve…petrol bunks have that hemishpere shaped valve. My own air compressor had the cylidrical threaded type. I’m looking for the hemisphere kind of attachment. To solve this issue.

6 Likes

Yeah I think this as the best possible thing to do since it gives just enough space to connect the end valve. Even filling it at home I do the same thing by positioning the tyre to rear most end.

Has anyone used 110/80 12 tvs Remora Tyres?

3 Likes

Can you share which tyre good and also size

120/70-12 Maxxis is suitable & made for electic. TVS Ntorq using

2 Likes

Did you changed the tyre, if yes how is the performance?

1 Like

I feel the tyres skid and the bike wobbles. Can anyone please suggest good tyres? I can use them in monsoon and change them to something which can get me better range. Range is not important for me in the rains.

1 Like

Yes, the MRF Zappers don’t give confidence especially during rains. Michelin city pro, TVS remora, Maxxis M6302/3 are some of the good scooter tyres for scooters. Haven’t used any of these personally, but have heard good feedback from people who have used it on their Scooters.

3 Likes

I have recently switched to Maxxis tyres, same tyre size as stock tyres. The tyre is a bit softer than the stock MRF. The wet grip has improved a lot, gives more confidence while cornering as well.

3 Likes