Changing Stock Tyres

Only twice, I was close to skidding. But your review really tempts me to GO for it. :slight_smile:

Btw, how much variation do you see in efficiency? 5%, 10% ?

5 Likes

Surprising is the fact that dashboard has actually improved in ride mode from 70 to 76 km…But reality i know, has dropped by 5-7%. which is not too much

3 Likes

Also a key consideration, my friend told me pirelli 12 inchers are coming before diwali. So Michelin might not be the best 12 incher for long

9 Likes

For All the people who have changed the tyres it equally important to get drive belt tension adjusted.
I gave a call to ather and explained about how I ended up in changing tyre. I was told immediately schedule a service technician to adjust the drive belt.
With out proper tension motor will not perform at its peak.
I was also informed tat alignment of the tyre will change causing wear and tear to components. I also noticed more noise and reduced acceleration. So dint waste anytime and booked appointment.

Adjusting drive belt is really tedious process which takes about 30 - 40mins

1. Right and left alignment nuts haves to be within 0.3 to 0.4mm difference. Say right alignment but is at position 15.03mm right nut should be with in 15.06/15.07 mm. How to achieve this use Vernier caliper. Yes same thing we used use in physics lab. How precise is that.

2. Tension adjustment, they use a machine which picks up the belt tension. This has to be between 51 - 55. This machine picks pit the vibration when strike it with finger. It’s very complicated process which takes time.
    Pics follows
    Technician measuring alignment nuts using vernier caliper

Belt tension is being adjusted and measuring using some kinda of sound meter.

23 Likes

I will get you for 1300 life time warranty

1 Like

Hello Owners,

Can anyone of you share how is the experience in monsoons. As in, is there any skid, the tyre grip. And how confident are you guys riding on wet roads.
Anything would be helpful

1 Like

I have ridden in rains 3-4 times, Ather as such has a much better ride dynamics in rain than a conventional scooter. Since i changed my tyres first thing, yet to experience any slip or skid

3 Likes

Which were the tyres that you changed to ?
Is there any way we could add fat tyres because that would look rad :grin: … I know it increases drag, but just asking if anyone has tried

2 Likes

Miclelin city pro. same spec as stock tyre. I am getting a new Ather in September hopefully, will put in fatter tyres on it. cos u know rad is in

3 Likes

Me too … is there any chance we will get better price if we change Tires immediately I read some people got both tires for 1800

1 Like

I only changed it for 1900 2 months ago at varthur junction. negotiations work well in this recessionary market

4 Likes

new at 1241 in deal season

9 Likes

I got it for 1300 from madhus Richmond road. With warranty from Michelin. I have been visiting madhus from past 5 years hence went their when puncher happend.

3 Likes

Thanks for the support.

4 Likes

But Without Centre stand how can change the tyre?

1 Like

They use paddock stand

To everyone in this forum:

My question may seem lame and odd. But is the change of tyre by all of you for performance improvement?
As I understand most of you are not having more than 6-7000 kms on your odo… And tyre life is usually 30-35000kms.

2 Likes

MRF Nylogrip Zapper, the stock tyres that come on the Ather 450 are decent tyres. However, the disc brakes on our scooters are amazingly sharp and during aggressive braking, the tyres tend to skid easily (especially the rear one). Thankfully the Ather is beautifully balanced and there have been no mishaps due to this. Many people who want tyres with more grip hence have changed their tyres even though the stock tyres have not worn out.
Mind you, the FE may marginally come down due to this, but not a bad bargain for the additional grip.
It’s all individual needs - if you feel that you need more grip, change it. If the stock tyres are enough, continue with it till it wears out.

7 Likes

Also we do not get proper confidence due to the tyres… While cornering…

1 Like

Has anyone changed the tyres recently? The last few weeks the tyre felt wobbly while taking turns. Had it checked out and found there was a screw stuck in the rear tyre and got it fixed. However while fixing the tyre i noticed the center of the tyre looked bumpy. I ran my hand over the center spine and i could feel undulations that were in a low amplitude sine wave pattern (can’t explain the feeling in a better way - sorry!).

The puncture guy mentioned that he seen this in few other MRF tyres as well and it occurs after 4-5k of usage. I am at 7k on the odo and wondering if i should just take a dive and replace both the front and back altogether. The guy was pushing Timsun and i hadn’t really heard of it before.

Any pointers on this would be helpful!

3 Likes