Changing Stock Tyres

I tried getting the rear tyre replaced with the 110/80 12 mrf zapper n. But upon installation it was touching the front of the swing arm. Ather had the 100/80 12 in stock replaced with that.

Stuck with 110/80 12 mrf revz n tyre(should have checked with the SC first on the stock). Anyone with a ntorq or ola. Please message here if you are interested in buying this.

2 Likes

You wont find the Ather sizes outside

1 Like

Did you by any chance click pictures to show how close the tyre was to the swing arm? Also might be an option to remove the tyre hugger if it’s too close, but that might mean a free mud shower riding on wet roads :joy: I’m planning on getting the same mrf 110/80 tyre on my gen2 450x. Edit: just saw the posts above, I might go with tvs eurogrip

I remember someone had 110/70-12 (not 80) installed successfully. Beware, if anything breaks by defect, warranty will be void.

Both 90.90.12 and 120.70.12 has same height from center and so, same road touching circumference by calculation.

Tire height = 9.6 cm
Tire circumference = 30.159 cm

2 Likes

It does not touch the hugger, but there absolutely zero clearnce b/w the swingarm and tyre on zapper n 110/80 12

You need some clearance for the debris like sand through pass through otherwise you get good grinding noise.

The service centre is using the 100/80 12 zapper FN not zapper N. Dont know why the tyres meant for front was used on rear. Disappointed

7 Likes

Zapper FN is not the same tyres that come with Gen3 vehicles. We need to use Zapper N if you want the same tyres and pattern. Zapper FN nearly looks like it but it’s compound and pattern are Different.

2 Likes

Recently changed to Jk tyre Blaze 90/90/12 for rear. Good quality tyre with decent price.

Who said to you this :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

120 :hushed: will juice it like anything bro :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been facing quite a few problems on the rear tyre of my scooter from the past one week.

2 Punctures were found and fixed by the Ather service center within a single day but on alternate times. Even after that by the next day, the tyre pressure is still being reduced gradually at 1 psi per every 3 minutes after refilling. I found that one of the puncture was not fixed properly in the service center, thus causing the leakage of gas. After that, I went to the service center to fix the puncture properly but they have no solution except changing the rear tyre, as according to them the rear tyre has become weak and the puncture has become too big(which they unfortunately didnt know of when they fixed it) for it to be treated by them. Btw, I’ve only done 3000 km and it’s only been 6 months since I bought the scooter.

Does anyone have any idea on what can be done or is changing the tyre the only option. If that, then should I go with Ather service centers 100/80 tyre or should I buy it from outside and get it replaced by Ather SC.

2 Likes

TLDR: best to contact service.

Having an untenable puncture definitely calls for a tyre change, which is unfortunate but a safety requirement. If you have a big puncture sealed, you do have a chance of unruly surprises when the tyres face the strenuous acceleration or by extreme (read: Indian) road conditions.

You can either choose to ask the SC to change it for you with a tyre of your choice or get it done at a local shop. Do remember, of you do it at a local shop, the belt tension has to be recalibrated ASAP, hence needs to be coordinated with Service for a viable slot for them to do the belt tensioning.

2 Likes

Since you’ve only done 3k Kms and the tyres are only 6 months old, You can try patching the tyre (which is done from the inside) from a local trye repair shop. It’s a 100-150 bucks fix & worth the shot.

I had a similar instance with my 5 yr old 17k kms driven Activa’s rear tyre, wherein the puncture kept leaking air even after the standard fix was done. The patch solved the problem.

Also, once the patch is done get your belt tension calibrated ASAP.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

I see many have upgraded to Michelin Pilot Street 2. These seem to be the best. Recently I’ve been seeing a brand called Reise. Saw a video of someone who put them on an Ola S1 Pro. Anyone tried them on an Ather?

I’m also due for tyre change, brand Reise…they have 100 80 12 for front and 110 80 12 for rear. Can we put the front one at rear

Should be no problem but better confirm with the tyre shop.

I have riese, it is on the harder side and good for smooth roads. Bumpy ones hurt a bit…

I think Ather MRF ones are good. Also TVS Remora.

1 Like

If the size is right it will fit but usually if the tyre is marked for front or for rear use then they’ll have different compounds added to the rubber while manufacturing to handle specific workloads i.e.,

Front- steering and braking; Rear- higher grip for acceleration.

My understanding of this is based on different tyre compounds used on my other 2 wheelers.

Your observation seems right, but I could see the default zapper FN tyres which comes with bike is designed for front wheel, but we are using for both.

1 Like

If it works for you then that’s great.

The tyres that come default on the Ather are not the usual zapper FN. They were designed specifically for the Ather and I think is a specific compound even though the design is the same.