Changing Stock Tyres

You can use credits as a payment option when you buy TPMS.

2 Likes

That is MRF Zapper FN in either 100/80 or 110/80. Looks like they had an oopsie or is it a teaser of what’s to come? “Performance is in the air”, huh? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

MRF Zapper N , the same has been in OLA scooters stock tyre.

4 Likes

The MRF Zapper FG used in Ather 450x (gen2) is actually meant to be used in the front and is not for rear. F indicates front as I understand from MRF tyres and services. The 450x Gen 3 uses new Zapper tyres Zapper FN in the front and Zapper N in the rear. As I understand, in two wheelers, the rear tyre tread should in the opposite direction from front tyre (You can see this marking in Michelin and many other tyres) for better stability during rains. So I think if we change the direction of the FG tyres in rear, the issue will be resolved. The 100/80 Zapper N tyres used in Gen 3 are yet to be available in the market. As of now MRF have 100/80 FN (used in Ntorq front wheel, where the rear tyre is 110/80N). I’m planning to buy MRF Zapper 100/80 FN and install in the rear wheel with reverse direction. Hope it will help.

2 Likes

Hearing the Gen 3 tyre cost to be ₹4000 per tyre. This is too high a price.

No on Amazon the cost of those mrf zapper tyres are approximate 2500 each

1 Like

Hence the word co-designed with MRF and a minor difference in model name from what you get in market.

2 Likes

Let’s see what happens that’s what customers can do

4 Likes

There is also difference in compound used, and OEM tyres go though more stringent tests than retail ones as per @Sreesanth, who might be able to explain further.

4 Likes

There should be a new compound used as Ather mentioned and the QC checks for OEM tyres are way different from that of the spare tyres we get from the market. Got to know it from a friend of mine who works at MRF.

3 Likes

Might be Zapper FN which are front tyres. I haven’t seen Zapper N 100/80-12 anywhere, checked both offline and online.

2 Likes

I recently changed my rear tyre with Michelin pilot Street 2 due to excess wear on the stock rear tyres. I clocked around 11450km before the swap. I instantly feel better grip and better confidence when I lean. Surprisingly the range improve drastically.

I consider myself a very aggressive driver and I always ride on warp mode. I usually get 40km in warp before it locks in eco mode.

After the swap, I wanted to test the change in range so that I calibrate my brain for new range. I was trying to discharge the battery but I covered 52.1km in warp and 14km of range left.

Will update my review for prolonged use but I instantly love the current ride with Michelin tyre.

6 Likes

Can you confirm which variant of Michelin you have got, I also thinking of replacing rear one, too many punctures and air leakage as well.

2 Likes

I’ve edited the post. Those are pilot Street 2

2 Likes

Where did you get it changed? As the belt tension needs to be re adjusted.

2 Likes

I got it changed in City tyres C V Raman Nagar. I scheduled a service with Ather after that.

2 Likes

Any damages to rim while they were removing & re fitting tyres ? And why was service needed after tyre swap To tighten belt tension ?

I’ve paid very close attention during the tyre change and I believe he handled the rim with good care. Again I noticed the repairman fumbling with the assembly, so I didn’t want to risk loose parts or improper assembly. Hence the Ather appointment to verify the assembly fitness.

1 Like

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using 80/100 (or fatter tyres) on 450X gen 2 ? I recently changed the front tyre (same profile : 90/90) but thinking of a fatter rear tyre.

Yes, few in Kochi had changed to 100/80-12 Zapper FN to rear tyre. It has improved handling. @aajithms can comment on this.

6 Likes