Changing Stock Tyres

Zapper FN is not the same tyres that come with Gen3 vehicles. We need to use Zapper N if you want the same tyres and pattern. Zapper FN nearly looks like it but it’s compound and pattern are Different.

2 Likes

Recently changed to Jk tyre Blaze 90/90/12 for rear. Good quality tyre with decent price.

Who said to you this :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

120 :hushed: will juice it like anything bro :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been facing quite a few problems on the rear tyre of my scooter from the past one week.

2 Punctures were found and fixed by the Ather service center within a single day but on alternate times. Even after that by the next day, the tyre pressure is still being reduced gradually at 1 psi per every 3 minutes after refilling. I found that one of the puncture was not fixed properly in the service center, thus causing the leakage of gas. After that, I went to the service center to fix the puncture properly but they have no solution except changing the rear tyre, as according to them the rear tyre has become weak and the puncture has become too big(which they unfortunately didnt know of when they fixed it) for it to be treated by them. Btw, I’ve only done 3000 km and it’s only been 6 months since I bought the scooter.

Does anyone have any idea on what can be done or is changing the tyre the only option. If that, then should I go with Ather service centers 100/80 tyre or should I buy it from outside and get it replaced by Ather SC.

2 Likes

TLDR: best to contact service.

Having an untenable puncture definitely calls for a tyre change, which is unfortunate but a safety requirement. If you have a big puncture sealed, you do have a chance of unruly surprises when the tyres face the strenuous acceleration or by extreme (read: Indian) road conditions.

You can either choose to ask the SC to change it for you with a tyre of your choice or get it done at a local shop. Do remember, of you do it at a local shop, the belt tension has to be recalibrated ASAP, hence needs to be coordinated with Service for a viable slot for them to do the belt tensioning.

2 Likes

Since you’ve only done 3k Kms and the tyres are only 6 months old, You can try patching the tyre (which is done from the inside) from a local trye repair shop. It’s a 100-150 bucks fix & worth the shot.

I had a similar instance with my 5 yr old 17k kms driven Activa’s rear tyre, wherein the puncture kept leaking air even after the standard fix was done. The patch solved the problem.

Also, once the patch is done get your belt tension calibrated ASAP.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

I see many have upgraded to Michelin Pilot Street 2. These seem to be the best. Recently I’ve been seeing a brand called Reise. Saw a video of someone who put them on an Ola S1 Pro. Anyone tried them on an Ather?

I’m also due for tyre change, brand Reise…they have 100 80 12 for front and 110 80 12 for rear. Can we put the front one at rear

Should be no problem but better confirm with the tyre shop.

I have riese, it is on the harder side and good for smooth roads. Bumpy ones hurt a bit…

I think Ather MRF ones are good. Also TVS Remora.

1 Like

If the size is right it will fit but usually if the tyre is marked for front or for rear use then they’ll have different compounds added to the rubber while manufacturing to handle specific workloads i.e.,

Front- steering and braking; Rear- higher grip for acceleration.

My understanding of this is based on different tyre compounds used on my other 2 wheelers.

Your observation seems right, but I could see the default zapper FN tyres which comes with bike is designed for front wheel, but we are using for both.

1 Like

If it works for you then that’s great.

The tyres that come default on the Ather are not the usual zapper FN. They were designed specifically for the Ather and I think is a specific compound even though the design is the same.

It’s a common practice around the world the factory tyres will not have same quality as retail ones. They are made for cheaper prices and low quality but that help both companies in different ways like Ather will have to bear less on tyres and MRF will sell more to Ather as well as sell more replacement tyres once they are done bcz most of the people replaces with the same tyres which they got while they bought the vehicle. It’s just have industry works.

Also i have heard that get the tyres changed outside and or tyre from another brand may void warranty as per Ather. Not sure if that is true.

Most manufacturers buy tyres in bulk at dirt cheap prices. Unbelievably low. In order to supply at those rates tyre manufacturers produce special batches of low quality tyres. Same brand and model bought outside will be much better because you are paying the actual price. When you buy a new vehicle just exchange on day 1 and get maximum buy back for your stock tyres.

3 Likes

Then Why does the rear tyre on my 450x says 100-80/12?

Gen 2 tyres were 90/90-12

Gen 3 onwards they introduced new MRF Zapper FN with 100/80-12 tyres for the rear.

I have Ather 450X Gen 3 I got MRF Zapper Tyres which they introduced with Gen 3 and same tyres now can be seen with Other EV 2W also like OLA and TVS , I have clocked 6K Kms till now and my Rear Tyre got 7-8 punctures till now and front one is still safe , What i noticed is , The Grooves which these Zapper Tyre has are very deep and outer portion is hard and never got puncture on the outer portion , but and portion inside those grooves are probably thinner and can be pierced easily and all of my punctures are on these grooves only everytime.

Positive thing which I noticed is even after riding 6K Kms , Tyres doesn’t look like Old due to those grooves which are deep and i remember my old scooter where I changed tyres (rear one) every 5K kms

2 Likes