Battery Pack

Very true, with portable charger & charging facility in office, it will still be usable for many.

But, people have to plan more on any unplanned routes… Even to start a 20 km round-trip with 60% charge will bring anxiety. :smiley:

2 Likes

What do you think of the smart charging or allowing us to remotely start or stop charging via the app at least? I really hate to leave it plugged in and charge it to 100

So far, I was able to do something similar with the smart plug. But, that brought a new problem. And, I am not sure if that will be solved even if Ather implements charging thresholds.

Problem: After I stop the charging thru Smart Plug, the charging cable is still docked. That causes idle drain to be 2x of regular drain.

Cause: When the charging cable is docked, vehicle is still drawing power for magnetic dock and vehicle is not really in idle state (just screen is in dimmed state and motor off).

Can Ather’s charging threshold can solve this problem? I am not sure unless they bring something like below.

1. Option to release the cable after reaching the charging threshold. OR
  2. When not charging for some time (let us say 2 hours), the vehicle should go into idle state and release the charging cable.

Both these options can be given as a toggle for user to choose.

@abhishek.balaji - I am not sure when Ather is bringing the threshold. But, can you clarify regarding the dock / release?

3 Likes

Again, we can learn from Tesla here. A simple “release charging port” button in the app as you mentioned in your 2 points. But Ather is busy with the bugs. Smart charging? Who wants to waste time on that. Haha Sorry, I have promised my wife not to rant for a week. :zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Actually, considering that this is already there in the grid (the solenoid locks disengage after charging to 100%)so other people can charge, it shouldn’t be that difficult to implement. Idk. I’m just thinking out loud.

1 Like

Post the OTA update as well , I see idle drain of 10% over a period of 22 to 24 hours, is this the case for other 450 owners as well or there is some issue with my bike that needs fixing.

3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji - Were you able to get the correct price on this?

Will be waiting for this reply forever? What’s the battery price in case whenever we’d need to?

2 Likes

As on November 2020, the battery of a Gen1.5 Ather 450 costed ₹50,000. Not sure what are the current prices of batteries of 450 and 450x

2 Likes

I had asked this few times and yet to get an answer

A sample post from 2018 tells the estimate was around 35k:

Yet to get an answer. If it was given, please correct me.

4 Likes

No official answer has been provided. We are guesstimating based on a repair estimate provided for a very badly damaged 450 Gen 1.5.

3 Likes

I am happy that the battery degradation is not high and the battery is still retaining >95% of the capacity for most of us.

50k in Dec 2020 looks to be a way different than the estimate we all heard in 2018-19. Will be good to see an official response on what is the revised estimate and why it deviated so much?

1 Like

Can we shutdown the Ather 450X daily after use, the next day usage gap will be minimum 10 to 12hrs… please let me know

1 Like

Sure, you may do so… No harm to any electronics circuitry if you shutdown frequently. Only inconvenience is that it may take couple of minutes of booting time when you turn on again. If that is not an inconvenience, please go ahead.

7 Likes

Hey @abhishek.balaji @rajeshkav why do you suggest we don’t shutdown on a regular basis? So I travel around 50-60km and I shutdown after I reach my office so that there’s no idle discharge. Logically why do you ask us not to shutdown? And when I spoke to Shubham about the resistor issue for vehicles <vin 2700 something he said my vehicle is alright. Nothings being done. I’ve been regularly shutting down the vehicle. I don’t understand why you ask us not to.

I’ll have same amount of charge when I switch it on.

And No reduction in battery life? I own an Ather 450.

2 Likes

@rajeshkav has actually said you can shutdown as long as you are okay with inconvenience of waiting little more until booting. Personally i would be okay as it takes hardly 30-40 seconds which is less than the time I take to wear helmet and adjust the mask :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For VIN <2973, it is advised to shut down only below 50% SoC as stated in below FAQ.

However there are some users out there who shut down frequently like you , who did not face any issue. Since Ather has noticed this would be the possible issue, they have advised the same.

7 Likes

Today I noticed a huge dip in battery all of a sudden. Usually I ride 45-50 kms a day. In mix of Ride and Sport and reach home at 26-30% battery remaining. Today when I was way back home I was on Ride mode and all of a sudden I noticed the speed decreased and realised it’s 17% and in Eco mode. Couldn’t understand what happened there, luckily I was 4 kms away from home and reached in Eco mode. Did this happen to anyone? @abhishek.balaji what do suggest ? Should I raise a service request to get it checked.

5 Likes

@abhishek.balaji I am a 450 owner , about to complete 3 years warranty period next month, I will be out of warranty, I had a concern that Ather 450 has BMS issue and it may not wake up after a shutdown , If this problem occurs post warranty, will the issue be fixed without any expense from owner or we need to pay for the fix, I guess many 450 owners will have same concern, your reply will help many 450 owners like me.

5 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Appreciate if you could give some response in this regard

4 Likes