Battery Pack

I have a question. I don’t if it’s me driving a little more rough than usual, but, I have a feeling that cold weather in Bangalore is having an effect on my range. Usually, on sport mode I would get around 75kms without pillion and regular tyre pressures. Now, I think without any other factor changing at all, my range has dropped to around 68-70km on sport mode. Is it the cold? Please tell me it’s the cold.

1 Like

@tarun @ather Any plans to have trials with these batteries? Looks like a pretty great addition. https://yourstory.com/2020/12/startup-bharat-bhubaneswar-based-nexus-power-ev-battery-startup/amp

1 Like

Unlikely it’s just the ambient temperatures, the performance variation is something you might notice at extreme temperatures. In fact in slightly colder temperatures like how it is in Bangalore right now, the performance would be more consistent since the battery and motor have a chance to cool down quicker. It also depends on your riding style, tyre pressure etc. If you notice it consistently across rides along the same route, do reach out to the service to get it checked.

4 Likes

Thanks, that was helpful. In fact since posting this, I did one of my most efficient rides ever despite having a pillion and now the range seems to be normal. I believe that about 2-week episode might have been influenced by some other factor. Maybe it was me not checking tyre pressure at the regular place.

1 Like

Just noticed something with regards to this

From an old usage report –

From this I’ve consumed about 45*850 = 38.25kW And I had consumed Screenshot_20210227-204104 51units
Taking a 10% loss while charging. That accounts to about 46kW consumed to charge the battery. But effectively I used only 38kW That’s an 8kW loss of energy in just a month’s time. Which I’m assuming is almost entirely vampire drain since my scooter was still relatively new at the time.

@tarun I think you should start taking this vampire drain a bit more seriously for future products and for the existing customers, we aren’t even allowed to shut down our scooter at higher SOC. I really think, you guys need to sort out this issue among old 450s in a regular service at least. This doesn’t look good. To be owning a known defective battery pack which could possible fail in the future when out of warranty.

Note to moderator. The original thread seems to be closed. I understand that this is the 450X thread.

4 Likes

This is a pretty glaring issue to have persisted across two generations of the product, which leads me to suspect that they either cannot or will not fix it. I’m not sure which is worse.

2 Likes

According to customer care 450x can be safely shutdown even at 100% and bms issue of 450 doesn’t seems to affect it.

Hoping somebody from ather team can confirm this ?

2 Likes

How to get this usage report

This is scaring me. I always shutdown my vehicle after use for the day, I can’t leave it like that without shutting it down and loose energy like this. Now I am scared about the shutdown issue with 450.

As many of you mentioned in the related 450 thread, Ather team needs to fix this BMS issue (maybe yes, in a phased manner as many of the others have suggested, but soon - I vote for the 4G upgrade time as I am not seeing my 5K KMs reach any time soon because of the WFH scenario). @ather-bubhandari @tarun @abhishek.balaji Please take this matter as the highest priority and please sort it out soon. When there’s a shutdown option, not being able to use it is definitely bad, as @Suraj_madhu said, being the first few thousand customers, it’s not too much to ask. I am worried now about shutting it down anymore, so not going to do that and waste precious energy and may even end up not being able to use my vehicle when I need it at the most, what’s the point of own transport?

P.S - I also faced a situation where my 450 was in shutdown mode for 40-45 days during the first ever lockdown in March 2020. I shut it down with ~45% battery charge. I was really shocked to see 19% battery charge when I switched it ON after 45 days of shutdown mode. I immediately called up Ather service, they told me to use my vehicle, even if it is just for a little spin every now and then. I have been doing it ever since and I go nearly 2 weeks without using my vehicle now a days (shut down mode) and take it for a spin every 2 weeks at the least and I still see battery drain in shutdown mode, it’s definitely not huge but considerable. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

1 Like

This is only a problem if you own a 450 that was delivered prior to Sep 2019. The BMS issue (actually one itsy bitsy resistor) was permanently fixed in battery packs 450s delivered post that period.

2 Likes

Okay, mine was delivered in Nov 2019. According to @abhishek.balaji post about the BMS issue, he has mentioned “for vehicles with VIN > 2973, the BMS design has been changed to accommodate a larger capacity resistor, thus minimizing any risk of the resistor burning out due to a sudden surge in the current from the battery pack.”, but my vehicle’s VIN number ends with 2284, doesn’t it mean my vehicle has this BMS issue?

Then yes, you must be cautious. Use shutdown when SoC is less than 60%.

An OTA was pushed to control the rate at which current dissipation (may not be the right term!) happened during shutdown process to prevent the resistor from failing.

I have personally not heard of a BMS failure after that OTA, however not every owner is active on the forum, so no way to tell if that was a permanent fix.

1 Like

I did shutdown my 450X on 97% battery for a full week, and came back to switch it on and it was 95%! Also, it took barely a minute to switch back. So, yeah, it’s safe I guess!

2 Likes

Safe for the 450X and not so old 450s. But the initial 2700 athers or so have a known issue.

I was actually talking about the drain in non shut down/ stand by mode. We lose close to 3-4% if not more per day by just that drain.

That’s the only option now.

Yes I got what you were talking about and the drain is definitely a critical one.

On top of the shutdown dilemma (whether to shut it down or not coz of BMS issue), yesterday I faced another issue while in shutdown mode, battery was at 65% before shutdown on Friday and 58% after switching it on yesterday (Saturday), losing 7% battery charge in a day while in shutdown mode is very very bad. I am facing battery drain issue in both standby and shutdown mode which is definitely a problematic one. And I haven’t used my bike much because of lockdown and WFH. It’s still pretty new and facing such issues while the bike is in good condition is scaring me. Ather needs to fix this.

Won’t BMS issues be covered under warranty ? And Ather themselves have said they will handle BMS issues on case by case basis for initial 450 batch which has faulty BMS ?

2 Likes

That’s not normal at all. 7% per day on standby-YES, while in full shutdown mode - NO!. Get it checked in your next service.

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji From the past few days, I am observing something which I tried to understand but finally putting it in the forum for anyone or Ather to help me.

At my riding style, I usually get 75+ projected range in ride mode. This is also supported by the projected range showing in the App. But my Ather450 never shows higher than the 65Km range in ride mode in the dashboard, I think that’s normal for everyone.

But the thing I observed is the battery percentage always goes down with respect to the range shown in the dashboard. Like the 100% to 0% is calculated on basis of that 65KM range. In that case, even your projected range is high the real-time range is always as shown in the dashboard. I don’t thing after reaching 0% and covered 65KM Ather will allow riding that extra 15KM.

2 Likes